Lorry attack in Berlin

9 dead with the suspect on the run. I had been a little worried as I know friends are at the Christmas Market in Hamburg this evening. That said, awful news again today.

Driver has now been arrested; co-driver died at the scene.

German police appear to believe it was a deliberate attack.

Another horrific on a place all too close to home. Personally one of my favourite places.

Sadly, too many people in the world will be most bothered about who did it so that they can make a political point. 1/3 of social media are praying it's a far right extremist, 1/3 are hoping it's a muslim and about 1/3 are bothered about the tragedy. 

From a quick look around it seems like a lot of people hate Katie Hopkins more than people who drive trucks into shoppers.

Hope you're not on about here.  Just because we don't post about things doesn't mean we don't care about them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Hope you're not on about here. Just because we don't post about things doesn't mean we don't care about them.

Indeed, one has had 20+ hours to kick in the other one or two tops.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

No, I was on about Twitter and probably social media in general.

People seem to go OTT on her, a shock jock pundit, yet be reasoned about people who kill people.

Not that I'm going to stick up for her, I'm just saying.

Not wanting to take the thread off topic but I refuse to read her articles, I wish she'd just go away.

I'll reserve my judgement on the lorry attack until we get more facts released.  I try to not jump to conclusions but it's hard when it's a fairly odds-on certainty of the cause.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

As yet its still unclear what exactly happened though some eye witnesses say the truck went 80 metres or so trough the market area. Thoughts currently must be with the victims who have been killed or injured in this incident. Police have allegedly arrested the driver but no other details have been released. So whilst its easy to maybe jump the gun and think this is another Extremist Muslim attack, there is no official word to confirm this.

Tensions are already high in Germany after recent events, that have included an Afghan that tried to kill a woman in Greece was released early and then got in to Germany claiming to be 15 years old and sadly killed a Student after raping her in Freiburg. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38314498 Alsoa 12 year old German-Iraqi tried to bomb a christmas market in Ludwigshafen. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38343124. This comes after the terrorist attacks in Munich, Aschaffenburg, Würzburg in summer. Many people are now pointing the finger of blame at Angela Merkel, who allowed over 1 million people to come in unchecked, for such events happening. Should this incident turn out to be another terrorist attack, it will add even more fuel to the fire. Also the safety and peace that Germany once enjoyed has been shattered by various events this year. The future is a concern for many and Angela Merkel is under increasing pressure as Germany goes to the polls in September. 

German police appear to believe it was a deliberate attack.

Looks like the 'co-driver' might of been the original truck driver/owner who was murdered when the truck was stolen.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Sadly looks like again another Illegal Immigrant from Pakistan is the Scumbag that committed this act. Came to Germany at the end of 2015. Is well known to police for small crimes and has used various names! I feel Merkels open border policy was one of the most stupid things she has done. I am not saying Germany should not look after genuine Illegal Immigrants, but when you have over 1 million illegal immigrants come in and nobody is checking them, then its very stupid. Border Checks and later security checks need to be in placefor all who come in and out. Who knows what psychos are coming in and what they are bringing. This is more than just a one off incident regarding illegal immigrants. Police raided a Berlin Refugee Camp today but its very much too little too late. Thousands of refugees have disappeared in Germany with the open border policy and nobody knows who they are or where they are. Most no doubt end up in gangs or in criminal activity. But with no papers its hard to track them.

Sadly this is just the latest incident that could and should have been prevented. But security checks should be done on everybody really as sadly a number of german born people, whos parents come from the middle east, are supporters of IS and have been happy to go as far as trying to murder "Westerners" like the 12 year old I mentioned before. I would rather be checked 100 times and that society be safe than what is happening in 2016. You can not 100% guarentee that you will stop these people from commiting such acts, but if you make life very hard for them and reduce that risk then I feel thats worth it. I hope that in 2017 things will be better than in 2016. But I do not feel the politicians care and the Police and Security people are underfunded and over worked and the Politicians are not doing enough to help them make our towns safe.

The CDU/SPD (Conservative/Labour) government has made a real mess of things and many Germans do not feel Merkel cares for them. We now have the elections in September 2017 and we have no real main party as the big 2 have lost a lot of voters. The rise of the Greens (Who seemingly have no real plan but just vote No No No on things), AfD (Right drifting to far Right), Die Linke (Communists/Anti Capitolists) all picking up votes from the big 2 in 2016 has seen a politically unstable scene arrive here. Merkel is on very unsteady ground. She might just stay in power but her CDU party will again have to share power with somebody like the Greens and/or SPD. Meanwhile the fear factor esculates andthe politicians give a little speech but are not really doing much to take them fears away from us. Many Muslims feel they are being labelled as terrorists etc and being black balled by the rest. Not a good situation to have as it helps create a them and us society.

Looks like the 'co-driver' might of been the original truck driver/owner who was murdered when the truck was stolen.

Yep.  And it would appear he was shot.  It looks like the cousin back in Poland will be grieving this Christmas. 

I admire the brave member of public who followed the alleged driver, keeping the police on an open phone line while doing so.  That took tremendous courage and clarity of thought. 

If the "co driver" iis confirmed as probably the first of the innocent victims, it just goes to show how careful you have to be when news breaks.
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I would rather be checked 100 times and that society be safe than what is happening in 2016. You can not 100% guarentee that you will stop these people from commiting such acts, but if you make life very hard for them and reduce that risk then I feel thats worth it.

Lot of sense in what you said, but I really disagree with the above. It was a horrific event. but I think it's handing terrorists a victory if you change the open, free nature of our way of life to deal with it. Ignoring it rather than lots of publicity, demonizing muslims/immigrants/refugees and sweeping security changes is the way to win.  Average 70 people per day die on roads in the EU, millions die from preventable health problems. We should keep a sense of proportion. 

We had been invited as a family to go stay with German friends in Berlin this week - and visiting christmas markets was part of the plan. Ended up not going because my eldest had his driving test.

Looks like they're now saying the Pakistani guy arrested might not be the driver - which suggests the killer could still be at large.

Lot of sense in what you said, but I really disagree with the above. It was a horrific event. but I think it's handing terrorists a victory if you change the open, free nature of our way of life to deal with it. Ignoring it rather than lots of publicity, demonizing muslims/immigrants/refugees and sweeping security changes is the way to win.  Average 70 people per day die on roads in the EU, millions die from preventable health problems. We should keep a sense of proportion. 

We had been invited as a family to go stay with German friends in Berlin this week - and visiting christmas markets was part of the plan. Ended up not going because my eldest had his driving test.

Looks like they're now saying the Pakistani guy arrested might not be the driver - which suggests the killer could still be at large.

Nobody is demonising anyone but it is perfectly reasonable to be aware of Islamic terrorism because that is the main cause of terrorism in the world at the moment so assuming all Muslims are innocent is as misguided as assuming all Muslims are guilty.

They aren't yet sure whether the Pakistani guy was the driver but presumably they don't have DNA back yet to confirm one way or the other.  They aren't saying he wasn't the driver; just that they don't yet know whether he was.

Nobody is demonising anyone but it is perfectly reasonable to be aware of Islamic terrorism because that is the main cause of terrorism in the world at the moment so assuming all Muslims are innocent is as misguided as assuming all Muslims are guilty.

They aren't yet sure whether the Pakistani guy was the driver but presumably they don't have DNA back yet to confirm one way or the other. They aren't saying he wasn't the driver; just that they don't yet know whether he was.

You can easily assume the majority are innocent because quite clearly they are

The problem is thats its more than just a one off event as its been several events this year starting with the New Years Eve sexual grope in Cologne, Hamburg and Stuttgart by illegal Immigrants to the more serious murders of people in Summer and yesterday. Checking who is coming in and out of a country is not just about targetting illegal Immigrants, but German and other criminals who ship drugs, weapons and sex slaves etc across borders. Its well known that the East European mafia do this quite blatantly. I am against open borders for this precise reason that it hurts the criminals or atleast makes life hard for them and makes society a safer place for our children to grow up in. More checking of IDs at Train Stations and Shopping centres again makes life difficult for criminals as well as terrorists. I sadly feel that security measures need to be stepped up or else the events of 2016 will be the norm rather than the exception. 

Given the offence it's hardly likely that they would release anyone where even a shred of the flimsiest evidence exists. Imagine what the reaction would be if evidence of his guilt emerged and he'd slipped away.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Archived