Rebranding

Chairman LMAO

Just noticed Hunslet have (very nicely) rebranded and dropped the Hawks moniker (a la Wakefield). Wonder if any other clubs are getting fed up of the 1996 rebrand? Are we all too used to Bulldogs now or would anyone like to return to the Batley RLFC/Gallant Youths era?

Would be interested what people think!

For me its good to reminisce and know where we came from but the bulldogs suit us. Its manly enough without being cheesy

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Yep we have a proud history and a future to look forward to as the Bulldogs

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Me as well.

Lets go the whole hog and C and C1 form a breakaway.

That's a feasible option, isn't it.....

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

Personally I love the 'Gallant Youths' moniker and feel that, with a bit of thought, it could easily have been as marketable as 'Bulldogs'. I don't see any going back now, though. The nickname has become pretty synonymous with the club.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

I think Batley Bulldogs sounds better than some others.Look at when Oldham were the Bears,now that was tragic and cheesy. Wigan warriors, Leeds rhinos and Warrington wolves aren't too clever either.Well that's my view anyway.

They'll never drop the "Rhinos" tag - it's taken the fans twenty years to learn the words to "we're Leeds Rhinos, we're Leeds Rhinos".  :ohmy:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

I like to still go up to The Mount, not the Fox's and we have all our history as the Gallant Youths. I'm a little sad that room can't be found on the strip for the town Coat of Arms, seeing as currently the club is the only good thing the town has going for it.

If it's took em 20 years to learn that,it's not that memorable is it?.Either that or they're not that bright are they?.(joke).

Bit of both.  ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Personally I love the 'Gallant Youths' moniker and feel that, with a bit of thought, it could easily have been as marketable as 'Bulldogs'. I don't see any going back now, though. The nickname has become pretty synonymous with the club.

Agree with this.  It was a missed opportunity with the "Gallant Youths" but the Bulldog name has now become established and sits comfortably alongside the name "Batley" unlike, IMO, some of the other clubs names (Giants FFS!)

Not a Batley fan. It made me very, very happy when I learned that some clubs had ditched their cheesey, phoney names. I have always hated them for their obvious falseness and sheer tackiness. Some are worse than others. My team Swinton's name 'Lions' is at least totally authentic historically and has been the club's nickname since the late 19th century when they made a local pub, the White Lion, as their HQ (still there today). If it was up to me I'd change back, but the chances of that are slim.

Hull sensibly threw out 'Sharks' but continue to use the club's name Hull F.C. as the team's name instead of simply 'Hull' as it used to be. Then again some nerds would say the F.C. is there to prevent confusion with that city's other side Hull Kingston Rovers. My answer to that is rubbish! It never was a problem before SL arrived. Eg In Scottish football Dundee's two clubs, Dundee and Dundee United get along just fine. Some people, gawd help them, can't seem to get their heads round teams just having the one simple name (in whatever sport). They seem to believe you actually NEED an appendage like teams in the US and Australasia.

We all know it was imposed upon us all by that lot at Sky who care nothing for our heritage and sporting identities. They made do with lumbering us with their US/Aussie style names when their lunatic plans for us to us to adopt their mad ideas about clubs merging. They do the same to UK football if they could but they know it has too much muscle to make it come off.

Wakefield Trinity, Hunslet, Halifax, Whitehaven, Doncaster, I salute you! Question now is, what the next 'domino' to fall?

At Oldham we are the "roughyeds",it always has been really. The bears nickname came about because of sky I think.The term roughyed is to do with the textile industry of which Oldham used to be quite a force in.A roughyed is someone from Oldham, I think the old club adopted it way back.

Could be worse.

Someone has "rams"

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Is it such a big deal? I like the tag names. I definitely would not want us to drop the 'Bulldogs' as part of the club name.

I agree. The past was The Gallant Youths, and we should be proud of that. However, the future is the Bulldogs. I have seen how children respond to Battler and the Bulldog name - I think, rightly, it is here to stay!

Not a Batley fan. It made me very, very happy when I learned that some clubs had ditched their cheesey, phoney names. I have always hated them for their obvious falseness and sheer tackiness. Some are worse than others. My team Swinton's name 'Lions' is at least totally authentic historically and has been the club's nickname since the late 19th century when they made a local pub, the White Lion, as their HQ (still there today). If it was up to me I'd change back, but the chances of that are slim.

Hull sensibly threw out 'Sharks' but continue to use the club's name Hull F.C. as the team's name instead of simply 'Hull' as it used to be. Then again some nerds would say the F.C. is there to prevent confusion with that city's other side Hull Kingston Rovers. My answer to that is rubbish! It never was a problem before SL arrived. Eg In Scottish football Dundee's two clubs, Dundee and Dundee United get along just fine. Some people, gawd help them, can't seem to get their heads round teams just having the one simple name (in whatever sport). They seem to believe you actually NEED an appendage like teams in the US and Australasia.

We all know it was imposed upon us all by that lot at Sky who care nothing for our heritage and sporting identities. They made do with lumbering us with their US/Aussie style names when their lunatic plans for us to us to adopt their mad ideas about clubs merging. They do the same to UK football if they could but they know it has too much muscle to make it come off.

Wakefield Trinity, Hunslet, Halifax, Whitehaven, Doncaster, I salute you! Question now is, what the next 'domino' to fall?

I salute Worky as well - don't think they ever did jump on the bandwagon. 

George Bernard Shaw.

I salute Worky as well - don't think they ever did jump on the bandwagon. 

Yes of course Workington Town. But that's mainly due to them having 'Town' already. St Helens are the big example of standing firm against the tide of silly change. Sadly 'Northern' wasn't enough to stop it being changed to 'Bulls***'.

Is it such a big deal?

It is to some folks. To us older fans it is a bitter pill to swallow with our strong sense of history and identity much of which forms part of our younger years. You are obviously at the younger end of the fan base and therefore less offended by the tackiness of it all. Also younger fans don't feel the same connection to their club's past as to what took place during much of the 20th century.

A sense of perspective is needed. For us old stagers, to whom nicknames may or may not stick in the craw, it doesn't matter one bit. We will still shuffle along to watch our team, secretly glad to have one more thing to grumble about.

For young people who are not yet fans, if the name allows your club/team to be promoted more effectively then this must be a good thing, surely?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Have to agree Harold, The Gallant Youths was and is a really iconic and unique nickname, it seems such a shame that we dropped it altogether.

Everyone saw how popular the retro shirt was that BISSA did, the idea sells itself IMO.

The tribute to the first ever cup winning team is a nice touch though, id have liked to have seen the gallant youths written across the shoulders though like the 93-94 kit.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

A backwards step imo or at least that's what I thought before the forum was updated...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a distinction between what people on here are talking about and what Wakefield have done.

Trinity was always part of the name of the club, Dreadnoughts was the moniker. What we have done is reinstate it and dropped a silly marketing add on. Where as gallant youth which I think is fantastic sounding was I'm guessing not an official name of the club. Trinity like Hotspurs or Argyle is unique which helps.

FWIW I like Bulldogs - it summons up bulldog spirit.

Archived