Mike Stephenson MBE

As a pundit he might not be everyone's cup of tea.

But there is NO ONE more passionate about RL.

Enjoy your retirement Mike, you have been an absolute star.

Completely agree with your comments.

I wonder how long it will be before we miss his gaffs and stock comments in the ensuing seasons.

I remember when he ripped Stuart Barnes to shreds in a League v Union session - the passion and knowledge he had for the game was of the highest order.

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

"Momentum ball Eddie!..."

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Well done Mike;

★ Try scorer in 1972 World Cup success.

★ Led Dewsbury to a stunning 1973 Championship victory.

★ Joined Penrith Panthers for a world record fee.

Wonderful news for the sport and that most famous of clubs - Shaw Cross of Dewsbury.

Exactly Lionel. Most don't know what a good player he was.

Looks like they finally got the message out.

Without a doubt.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I've criticised him for the Sky coverage, but for his services to Rugby League, and promoting it's wealth of history, I say well done Stevo

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Exactly Lionel. Most don't know what a good player he was.

I played in Dewsbury & Batley League in 62/63 and I reckon I must have played against him.   In those days Shaw Cross ran Rovers, Rangers, Bees, Wasps and Hornets sides.  Great player and in the long run good for the game.  I think when Dewsbury asked top dollar for him they reckoned they'd put Penrith off, but they were wrong.  They had a helluva side that season. Stevo, Nigel Stephenson, Jack Austin, Jeff Grayshon.  I don't

think they've come anywhere near that strength since.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I was privileged to watch him play at his best before going to Australia to make further success in a tough game for a pom  in that era. A great ambassador for the game.

For anyone who wants his full story his book 'Stevo: Looking Back' is a great insight into the game at the time and what he faced in Australia.

I hope that in time his commentary style that irked the well informed fans of the game will eventually be seen as it was, Showmanship to sell the game to the new viewers on Sky.

I played in Dewsbury & Batley League in 62/63 and I reckon I must have played against him.   In those days Shaw Cross ran Rovers, Rangers, Bees, Wasps and Hornets sides.  Great player and in the long run good for the game.  I think when Dewsbury asked top dollar for him they reckoned they'd put Penrith off, but they were wrong.  They had a helluva side that season. Stevo, Nigel Stephenson, Jack Austin, Jeff Grayshon.  I don't

think they've come anywhere near that strength since.

Bow-legged jack austin came along a few years later,than that 72-73 side.i remember him picking a dead rat out of the long grass at alt park, huyton.

As for Stevo he was a hero of mine at the time,but i didn't like his views when he worked for sky on clubs like Dewsbury.May be that was sky script though.

The lads retired now - he was a good player, won a world cup and theres not many born on these shores left that can say that

His passion kept his commentary alive but its the same with any commentary team, if you don't rotate regularly, even Vossy can get a bit annoying from time to time - Sky have only rotated in the last 2-3 years not the whole 28 he was there for

Genuinely nice and intelligent guy and the medal is well deserved- bit miffed he wasn't knighted actually, apparently you can win a few world titles and the odd Olympic medal but supporting an entire sport as a player and after he finished playing as a historian and philanthropist let alone commentator - no justice in my mind

A big story to be told there if anyone ever gets to do it - his heritage work alone is immense - a true custodian of our sport

MBE well deserved Stevo, I for one think it should have been more

Congratulations!

Dave Hadfield said that  " even people who think they loathe the sight and sound of him find when they meet him that they love him really."

I can believe that. We had the privilege of walking part way up Wembley Way with him one year, had a laugh and joke with everyone who spoke to him while maintaining a conversation with the 4 of us and signing every autograph and posing for every photo requested. A very engaging and funny bloke, delighted he got the award

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Even putting to one side his commentary and unquestionable passion for the game, a World Cup winner in any other sport would have got at least an MBE without any questions asked. Never mind forty-odd years passing.

Well done Stevo.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived