City of Culture?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmph!

If you've only just found out which the City of Culture is then you're clearly an ignoramus.  :nono:

We don't have your sort in our proud city.  xD

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Hull!  :ph34r:

We must be getting to the thin end of our list of cities...

One of the great things about City of Culture 2017 is the way it's challenging ill-informed misconceptions of our proud, historic city.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Coventry is in line for 2021.

Its growing at the bottom of the petrie dish

I expect, as in Hull's case, that they will run up against a large number of people entirely missing the point.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

All I can say is 2008 worked wonders for Liverpool; the city hasn't looked back since.

Absolutely and Liverpool got all the same jokes about it being the Capitol of culture. As you say the city used it as a way to get funding and also to think differently on how it gets people into the city.

From what I seen so far Kingston has embraced the City of Culture and doing some great stuff with the opportunity.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Pretty sure Liverpool was European Capital of Culture whereas Hull is UK Capital of Culture. I think there is more money in the former than the latter.

Either way though, I wish the City of Kingston upon Hull all the best for the year ahead, and hope our Hull folk on here enjoy the festivities. We should be proud of our Northern cities and their rich heritage, which is in no way lessened by the fact that each town has a few scrotes.

Hull isn't exactly situated in a location you are likely to be passing through, but if the opportunity does present itself I will try to get over for a nosey.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Hull isn't exactly situated in a location you are likely to be passing through

:blink:

po_ferries_pride_of_hull.jpg

Better scrap this and the other ferries that thousands and thousands of people sail on to and from Hull each week then.

xD

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

:blink:

po_ferries_pride_of_hull.jpg

Better scrap this and the other ferries that thousands and thousands of people sail on to and from Hull each week then.

xD

Well if all of the folk are as touchy as that, the visitors will have a great time.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Couple of good tweets from two of our Hollywood stars was nice. Liam Garrigan and Robert Aramayo. Reece Shearsmith didnt bother though which is a shame.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Had a good look around the 'Made in Hull' installations tonight. The spectacular stuff was all great but the 'Amuse Agents' shop down Whitefriargate had me laughing out loud.

Great quote on Look North tonight from a woman with a Hull accent. "It's like being in a foreign city, people are smiling and being friendly".

On 1/2/2017 at 10:37 PM, Ullman said:

Had a good look around the 'Made in Hull' installations tonight. The spectacular stuff was all great but the 'Amuse Agents' shop down Whitefriargate had me laughing out loud.

We had a wander round the city centre toneet, absolutely belting atmosphere and the displays were fantastic.

We were drawn in by the projections on the buildings around Queen Victoria Square, mesmerising stuff, although I did wonder if the trawler tragedies were portrayed a little too near the knuckle, as it were.

As you say though, the "Amuse Agents" shop front kept me entertained for about 25 minutes, absolutely superb.

My fave advert being for the...

"Doll's house window cleaner, can also install doll's house burglar alarms and cctv, you don't want other kids messing with your stuff. Doll's house painting and decorating also undertaken along with any doll's house diy jobs and cleaning.

No job too small."

Fantastic.

Archived