City of Culture?

When I was a student I had a meal in Ye Olde White Hart, the one down the alley.  Lasagne and chips with creme brulee to follow. The mate I was with holidayed in St Tropez so the company very cultured but the creme brulee came with a dirty spoon so that was very Hull. Swings and roundabouts. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, C H Calthrop said:

When I was a student I had a meal in Ye Olde White Hart, the one down the alley.  Lasagne and chips with creme brulee to follow. The mate I was with holidayed in St Tropez so the company very cultured but the creme brulee came with a dirty spoon so that was very Hull. Swings and roundabouts. 

Ah, the wonderful pub with the "plotting parlour"

.http://www.yeoldewhiteharte.com/ye-olde-white-harte-pub-yorkshire/plotting-parlour/

The spoon's probably not been washed since then.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 06/01/2017 at 0:08 AM, Old Frightful said:

We had a wander round the city centre toneet, absolutely belting atmosphere and the displays were fantastic.

We were drawn in by the projections on the buildings around Queen Victoria Square, mesmerising stuff, although I did wonder if the trawler tragedies were portrayed a little too near the knuckle, as it were.

As you say though, the "Amuse Agents" shop front kept me entertained for about 25 minutes, absolutely superb.

My fave advert being for the...

"Doll's house window cleaner, can also install doll's house burglar alarms and cctv, you don't want other kids messing with your stuff. Doll's house painting and decorating also undertaken along with any doll's house diy jobs and cleaning.

No job too small."

Fantastic.

I gather I wasn't the only person to recommend the "Amuse Agents" to you.

I found the depiction of the lives lost at sea incredibly moving. From a personal perspective it was almost a little too moving.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

I gather I wasn't the only person to recommend the "Amuse Agents" to you.

I found the depiction of the lives lost at sea incredibly moving. From a personal perspective it was almost a little too moving.

Indeed you weren't!, the particular "Hull City of Culture Guide" I spoke to was very helpful and more than happy to meet for a drink in our fave pub sometime in the near future.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I just don t see why people denigrate Hull. On the many occasions I have been to matches at Hull FC ,Rovers and City I have always found it an interesting,historic city with many great pubs. 

Its got some massive problems like most big cities .

Lots of them problems could be sorted with some different thinking/outside the box if you like and a good injection of funds .

Like you say its got an impressive amount of positive things going for it . I like it .

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/01/2017 at 5:36 PM, Old Frightful said:

Indeed you weren't!, the particular "Hull City of Culture Guide" I spoke to was very helpful and more than happy to meet for a drink in our fave pub sometime in the near future.

Good to see the Amuse Agents still "open" when we passed by on Saturday. Even managed to catch a few jokes I missed first time round. Walked down to see the turbine blade in Queen Victoria Square. The closest I usually get to one of those is watching out of the office window as they're loaded onto the jack-up ship that takes them out to sea. Seen right up close it's an awe-inspiring sight. Popped into the Ferens to see what it looked like after the refurbishment. It's very impressive. The new lighting has given the art collection a new lease of life and the recently acquired Lorenzetti is a beautiful thing. I enjoyed the "Bowhead" film across the square in the Maritime Museum too.

A couple of weeks back we went to see the "Lines of Thought" exhibition at the uni. I'm sure I don't appreciate it on the same level some people do but it was still quite a thing to see drawings by people like Michelangelo, Picasso and Rembrandt brought together in our city. The university's permanent collection was also surprisingly good.

Also good to see this week that a Hull cultural icon has found a new home:

Dead Bod 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

don't like the false music thing, paul heaton is a scouser , fat boy norman is from kent, roland gift is a brummie, the spiders from mars even said they weren't from hull (they were from mars) the spiders from hull doesn't have the same ring I don't suppose?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

don't like the false music thing, paul heaton is a scouser , fat boy norman is from kent, roland gift is a brummie, the spiders from mars even said they weren't from hull (they were from mars) the spiders from hull doesn't have the same ring I don't suppose?

False my backside.

They might not all have been born here but so what? They were all very much made in Hull in terms of their musical careers. Which is precisely why they will always be connected with the city.

And as we all know, there's only one Spiders in Hull.

Good article in Friday's Times 2 section about the Ferens Gallery and other exhibitions. Overall the City of Culture is getting a good press which is great. 

Starting at 7pm tonight on BBC2, a programme about Hull and the "City of Culture" year.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Off to see this in West Park very shortly.

Looking forward to it very much.

Looks like fun!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Great piece on the BBC news last night about how how Hull became Britain's hotbed of ballet talent

My Mrs is off the Royal Ballet at the grand re-opening of Hull New Theatre tonight. I'll be raising several glasses to them in various Old Town hostelries.

I saw that piece on the ballet school in Hull. It was interesting. I've never been to watch classical ballet, but I did once take a young lady to watch the Dance Theatre of Harlem. I was gobsmacked at the athleticism of the dancers. Perhaps you should accompany your good lady to the ballet?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

10 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I saw that piece on the ballet school in Hull. It was interesting. I've never been to watch classical ballet, but I did once take a young lady to watch the Dance Theatre of Harlem. I was gobsmacked at the athleticism of the dancers. Perhaps you should accompany your good lady to the ballet?

A friend of mine used to be the conductor for the Sadlers Wells ballet, so I scored a few freebies off him. I got to see Darcey Bussell in her amazingly graceful prime, Sylvie Guillem, and also a young Carlos Acosta. He was phenomenally athletic, but a bit inexperienced at the time. You could tell he was headed for the top even then.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 16/09/2017 at 5:55 PM, tonyXIII said:

My Mrs has been full of local lad Demelza Parish's "athleticism" today.

Royal Ballet performance reopens Hull New Theatre

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

My Mrs has been full of local lad Demelza Parish's "athleticism" today.

Royal Ballet performance reopens Hull New Theatre

Lad? Are you sure?

16162757109_eb04ae720a.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

As a 2017 volunteer my Mrs was fortunate enough to get an invite this evening to the full dress rehearsal of Maxine Peake's play The Last Testament of Lilllian Bilocca. It's being performed at Hull Guildhall rather than a theatre and it sounds like it's done absolutely brilliantly if my Mrs' reaction is anything to go by. Great to see the story of Big Lil and her fellow "Headscarf Revolutionaries" being kept alive.

Maxine Peake: Why Big Lil is a better role model than Kim Kardashian

4 minutes ago, Ullman said:

As a 2017 volunteer my Mrs was fortunate enough to get an invite this evening to the full dress rehearsal of Maxine Peake's play The Last Testament of Lilllian Bilocca. It's being performed at Hull Guildhall rather than a theatre and it sounds like it's done absolutely brilliantly if my Mrs' reaction is anything to go by. Great to see the story of Big Lil and her fellow "Headscarf Revolutionaries" being kept alive.

Maxine Peake: Why Big Lil is a better role model than Kim Kardashian

Even better, Maxine once played Rugby League!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived