Sheffield Eagles 2017

Angelic Cynic

In this mornings Rugby League Express Friday 13th January has been set as the time limit on the announcement of the new backer.

I am expecting some surprise announcements between now and then.

Supporters who attended a recent meeting were privy to the assembling of the squad,thus far.

The playing of the home games at Belle Vue,Wakefield did throw up some interesting questions.

I thought I would open this thread for any interesting snippets as they start to filter through.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Friday 13th unlucky for some. Ouch

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Is everything rosy in the Eagles garden ?

Green,energised,and ready for public display....I hope!

By the 22nd of this month you,and your fellow Dons followers,should be able to witness at first hand.

I do hope Gary Thornton and his players do well this year - for your club.

Thank you , 2 strong South Yorkshire sides in the Championship in 2018 .

Are you reverting back to Part Time in 2017.

Happy New Year

COYD

Yes.Starting the campaign part time.

As a large number of the full-time players have ,amazingly,remained at the club throughout the trauma caused by internal and external factors,I am not unduly concerned.

One or two of those players have very sportingly got involved with the coaching in conjunction with the Include Foundation.( Along with Corey Hanson! )

It just means he who never stops.Mark Aston,has to sacrifice his nights.

Amazing club.Amazing people.I hope this year goes well for them all.

Here is a little interview with Mark Aston - http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_24483-aston-ready-to-fight-again-for-endangered-eagles.html?utm_source=Love+Rugby+League+Members&utm_campaign=d75844faeb-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_03&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b28d1a269f-d75844faeb-185468289

I couldn't get hold of LE to read the article for myself. Was this in reference to a formal announcement by the RFL, a club statement or journalistic speculation?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I couldn't get hold of LE to read the article for myself. Was this in reference to a formal announcement by the RFL, a club statement or journalistic speculation?

' Sheffield Eagles have set themselves a January 13 deadline to confirm their new backer.

Chief Executive Mark Aston confirmed the timeframe as he continues to look to put together a squad for the new season.'

• 2 weeks later...

7am tomorrow morning for an update regarding Sheffield Eagles.

Last year it was 8am for player signing announcements.

Sheffield Eagles - Now ahead of the curve!

** Yes.I've been in a state of constant stress since September.What is one more nights lack of sleep? **

Hoping for good and exciting news...

Hmm that all sounds exciting & positive....... not!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

I suppose we have to be greatfull the club is carrying on,after all if both Sheffield and Bradford went we would be knackered. The sport is small enough as it is.We need teams to be successful but also to live within their means.I hope that through the events of the last few months lessons have been learned. I now hope the rugby league folk of Sheffield get behind the club even though it is a bit of a trek to Wakey.Good luck to Sheffield for 2017 apart from against Oldham.:-) 

The first signing to be announced is a young player who has gone through the,temporarily delayed/derailed,conveyor belt of the academy system,

Hooker,Greg Burns - http://www.sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/47983

The second signing to be announced is a welcome addition to the pack.

A well known coach has questioned his defensive ability/attitude

I am hoping he proves to be JC Superstar

http://www.sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/47990

2 more players announced today.Both forwards.

Will Hope,the Ireland international player who was with the club on loan a couple of seasons ago returns.

Matt James,one of our more reliable pack players last year remains with the club.

Feelgood factor beginning to rise...

Well it seems the perfect storm that engulfed the club last year involving departing investors,the OLP,council,lack of home stadia,etc.has resulted in the club entering a dual registration agreement with Leigh Centurions.

Interesting times...

Here is a very good interview - the interviewee is a bit special,also.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04pt4ct

Not happy with that, I have never agreed with dual reg.   In my opinion it is very disrupted to team bonding.   Why not encourage local lads?   Who have probably been training with the Squad for a couple of years.   They would play their socks off in an Eagles team.   Its probably money talking, as usual, that results in us going down that road.

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

eagletarian.gif

16 hours ago, Eagletarian said:

Not happy with that, I have never agreed with dual reg.   In my opinion it is very disrupted to team bonding.   Why not encourage local lads?   Who have probably been training with the Squad for a couple of years.   They would play their socks off in an Eagles team.   Its probably money talking, as usual, that results in us going down that road.

The last I heard,we were one or two players short in contrast to the squad numbers last year - which was a very small squad.

With returning to part time the recovery for the players may not be as good and we have lost some backroom/off field staff.

It is a desperate measure - but one having to be taken by one head coach who is very much against the idea.

Leigh themselves broke away from their own dual reg with Wigan,once they got on a roll.

It is a necessary evil until everything gets sorted.

One of our former younger players,the excellently named Levi Crew,is now strength and conditioner.

We too,like Leigh,for different reasons,no longer have reserve or academy sides.

Anyway,we have added to the pack - http://www.sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48037 

We have also retained the loyal service,dazzling footwork and passing ability of Elliot Minchella - http://www.sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48045

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

eagletarian.gif

Playing at Belle Vue in 2017,in front of his national coach,The Prince Of Wales,and wonderful individual for remaining through the farrago,change of status,et al

Sheffield Eagles Number 9 - Matty Fozard. http://sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48057

2 more announcements,thus far.

The re-signing of winger Ben Blackmore - http://sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48059

New signing from the Emerald Isle,James Kelly - http://sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48061 

Archived