Sheffield Eagles 2017

Angelic Cynic

2 player announcements today.

The re-signing of Mr Loyalty,rumoured to be remaining along with Matty Fozard,from the very beginning of the farrago,

Ready to commence his 6th consecutive season,Duane Straugheir - http://www.sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48084

Returning,after leaving when he lifted silverware,half back,Simon Brown - http://www.sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48083

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Another young player makes the wise move of joining Sheffield Eagles

This one seems to follow the example set by Adrian Morley and start at Eccles before moving to Yorkshire.

Welcome aboard the good ship which houses other young players with Leigh Centurions experience,as we sail along through 2017

Eze Harper - http://www.sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48113 

The k.o time for our first home game,at Wakefield,on Sunday 12th February,v Toulouse will be 6pm

A coach for supporters wishing to travel will leave Sheffield city centre at 3.30pm

Good news regarding the captaincy for the side going into the new campaign

http://sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48167

It may be the eleventh hour but you appear to have got a really good team together...I do hope the fans back Mark (I must stop swearing on the game commentary) Aston and his team...hes done a "work" to keep the Eagles Flying...Well done that man....

53 minutes ago, weighman said:

Bradford fans will not be happy !

Hope your investor doesn't do a runner , who is he or she anyway ?

There was an investor who didn't so much run as walk away.He caused mirth and merriment to members of the rugby league family.

There is a sponsor still patiently waiting to invest with regards to the stadium construction,I believe.

Is that sound I hear one of complete silence from the previously loud mirth and merriment?

I just think the CEO has gone under the floorboards.

What a bloke!  Is it not a marquee signing?  Beats me!  I just like watching rugby league players playing the game.

Ain't got a clue about the politics,personalities,or financial people. 

18 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

There was an investor who didn't so much run as walk away.He caused mirth and merriment to members of the rugby league family.

There is a sponsor still patiently waiting to invest with regards to the stadium construction,I believe.

Is that sound I hear one of complete silence from the previously loud mirth and merriment?

I just think the CEO has gone under the floorboards.

What a bloke!  Is it not a marquee signing?  Beats me!  I just like watching rugby league players playing the game.

Ain't got a clue about the politics,personalities,or financial people. 

AFAIK all clubs need to have their salary cap agreed by the RFL. I find it difficult to understand how you can sign a player who was openly demanding £40k plus bonuses, accommodation etc and still remain under this cap.

Very strange.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

AFAIK all clubs need to have their salary cap agreed by the RFL. I find it difficult to understand how you can sign a player who was openly demanding £40k plus bonuses, accommodation etc and still remain under this cap.

Very strange.

The RFL monitor a 'live' salary cap - and what a fine job they have been proven to do!

I do not see what is strange about it.

Did you not follow the actions of Mr Beaumont from the Leigh Centurions club?

There was this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/34925697

Then this -          http://media.therfl.co.uk/docs/Championshipsalarycapregulations 2016_final PDF.pdf

I take it you are not pleased that people who bother to attend the Beaumont Legal stadium in Wakefield will be able to see a very good rugby league player in action?  

Or,attends the away games wherever Sheffield Eagles play?

I don't recall seeing any posts from you when Bradford and Leigh were making signings.

Very strange.

Oh sorry, I didn't need to aggravate such a raw nerve.

What I find strange is how the club that was  worrying publicly if it were going to be able to carry on without new investors and with a reported debt of £300K can now afford to sign such expensive high-profile players, without there being any announcement of new investment and ownership. As I said, my understanding is that the RFL are being much more stringent with Championship clubs this season requiring that their projected incomes, hence salary cap, be signed off before the start of the season. I trust that these requirements will apply equally to Sheffield as to everyone else.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Oh sorry, I didn't need to aggravate such a raw nerve.

What I find strange is how the club that was  worrying publicly if it were going to be able to carry on without new investors and with a reported debt of £300K can now afford to sign such expensive high-profile players, without there being any announcement of new investment and ownership. As I said, my understanding is that the RFL are being much more stringent with Championship clubs this season requiring that their projected incomes, hence salary cap, be signed off before the start of the season. I trust that these requirements will apply equally to Sheffield as to everyone else.

I don't have raw nerves.Not anymore.

Championship clubs can now spend the same amount as Super League clubs.1.85 million.

There is now way,in my opinion,that the RFL can monitor the cap anyway,certainly not in France and Canada,or apparently,Salford.

I am sure the requirements will apply to Sheffield.Certain rules are applied to Sheffield and then mysteriously removed when other clubs do the same thing previously attempted.

One investor left the club and the new investor was delayed waiting on the council.

There appears to have been a cash flow problem.There may be a slow flow,now.

I shall just enjoy the quality of play displayed by the players while that opportunity exists.

Thanks for your concern.Everyones faith in the RFL will be upheld,I'm sure.

Sorry to say that you have some pain fielding a reasonable side, taking into account their performance against Trinity. Not one player stood out  and on that performance, will struggle this season. Ignore the "full time/part time" equation, they still did not display any great skills. Sorry to be so abrasive, but I am saying it as I see it. On the same note, Trinity require strengthening in several positions or they also are in for a tough season. 

22 hours ago, saddleworth said:

Sorry to say that you have some pain fielding a reasonable side, taking into account their performance against Trinity. Not one player stood out  and on that performance, will struggle this season. Ignore the "full time/part time" equation, they still did not display any great skills. Sorry to be so abrasive, but I am saying it as I see it. On the same note, Trinity require strengthening in several positions or they also are in for a tough season. 

I suppose it all depends on what you expect to see from a pre-season game.

I want our best performances to be at the business end of the campaign.

The game ran away from us when down to 12 men and then again at the start of the 2nd half when Duane Straugheir was injured and all 3 of our leadership group,captain and 2 vice captains were off the field.

I am not unduly concerned.The addition of Dane Chisholm,for what he will bring on the field and what I hope he brings off the field,is very welcome.

We've come back from the dead.Just breathing is great progress.

I do think our coaching staff will be slightly happier than that of Wakefield judging by the 80 minutes I witnessed.

I shall look forward to re-visiting these comments in a few months time.

I do hope we have learned to stand square in the meantime.

Yep, AC, we have got to look on the bright side. You will have a tough task ahead, making the 60 mile round trip for the home games. I honestly think that I would lack the motivation, but the best of luck.

1 hour ago, saddleworth said:

Yep, AC, we have got to look on the bright side. You will have a tough task ahead, making the 60 mile round trip for the home games. I honestly think that I would lack the motivation, but the best of luck.

Thanks for the offer of good luck.

Some special people involved with this club.

I just work on the bloody mindedness of  noli illegitimi carborundum.

I think 2017 will be a good year.I just follow the leader.He's a bit good.

The Home Games,starting this Sunday,will be played at Beaumont Legal Stadium,Belle Vue,Wakefield.

A 5.30pm k.o. is to be ratified by the RFL

Make every effort to support the club - Wakefield isn't too much of a schlep - especially when we win.

This will hopefully be the last year out of Sheffield - http://sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48288

Sheffield Eagles today announced the signing ,on loan,from Huddersfield Giants,of another young player who played well for the opposition in a game last year.

Welcome to Liam Johnson - http://www.sheffieldeagles.com/News/Article/48380

3 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Good player is Liam, played for us last season. Good lad.

He scored the interception try at Bower Fold,against us.

I think both coaches,Naylor and Aston,do very well when they go in for dual reg/loan/signing of players.

Both target young and promising players with the correct,professional attitude and develop them into a good team structure.

Archived