Forum Upgrade Info

I've now upgraded the forum to the latest software release which was long overdue. It took a ridiculous amount of time to get it done overnight, as you may tell from the time I'm posting this message, it's now 5am in the morning, and I started this at 8pm last night.

As with any software upgrade there are bound to be a few bugs here and there that will only become apparent once everyone starts to use the new system.

If you spot anything unusual or can't work out how to use something that you used to be able to use before, please post a comment here and I'll keep looking in on this thread to post solutions (if I have one) or pick up fault reports to submit to the software publishers for a response.

One important change is that you can now log in only with your display name (the name that appears alongside your posts, rather than a separate log in username which you may have used before) or you can log in with your registered email address. Passwords are unchanged.

There are a few backend tasks still running which will hopefully speed things up as they complete, so lets see how it goes for now!

PS: If you're completely stuck and can't log in at all to post a comment here, you can contact me by email via the 'Contact Us' link at the foot of this page.

PPS: Don't blame me for how it looks. This is the default design straight outta da box. I'm not messing with it until I know everything else is working first!!

Out of deference to your hard work and long hours I'm going to wait until at least this afternoon before I attempt to get anything past the sweary filter.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, DoubleD said:

Out of interest John, will this upgrade prevent the website getting flagged up as unsafe by internet providers/search engines in future?

I'm not getting warnings any more, which I had been doing for a few weeks previously.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Why have the RFL forced this ridiculous upgrade on us without consulting the fans?

It's a disgrace!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Out of interest John, will this upgrade prevent the website getting flagged up as unsafe by internet providers/search engines in future?

Hopefully! That was one of the major drivers of doing it, as the previous software was very much out of date and prone to such problems. Fingers crossed, anyway.

2 hours ago, super major said:

The new system doesn't appear to list the names of those approving post's?

There are still a lot of automated backend updates to the forum data going on, that will hopefully resolve some of these issues once they are completed. It's a big old site, so it takes a while for all the relevant updates to run.

6 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Hi John, are you planning to post a guide to the new functions, or is it already there and i have missed it??

I'm still working them out myself! :)

I'm struggling a bit with navigation (on mobile version). I used to be able to click on a topic and it'd jump to the latest unread note on that thread. Now I'm having to remember what page I was on and search accordingly? Am I doing something wrong?

24 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I'm struggling a bit with navigation (on mobile version). I used to be able to click on a topic and it'd jump to the latest unread note on that thread. Now I'm having to remember what page I was on and search accordingly? Am I doing something wrong?

It's one of those options where I think the developers probably can't win, as we used to get people complaining the old one automatically jumped to the last page, not the first. On this version, there is now the option to click the thread title (opens the thread at the start) or if it's a long thread the page numbers are also shown below the thread title. Just click on the last number to go to the most recent posts in that thread.

40 minutes ago, Spidey said:

You just click/tap on the star or circle at the left of the thread title to go to the first unread post. At least, that works for me.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This new software is showing unacceptable favouritism to Bulls supporters, by allowing them to log in as if nothing had happened. They should be required to set up a new login, and start with access to something like the Community RL forum and work there way back up from there. Instead, Cutting their cloth as they go. Webbie and his chums are yet again saying one rule for the Bulls and one for everyone else. Its a disgrace, I tell you...

While I am here, I am getting a pop-up in Firefox, every time I do anything on the forum, asking me if I want to receive notifications from the site?  I'm suspecting this is a Firefox issue, and some setting I can adjust in Firefox. Have not yet looked at fixing, but if anyone knows (or if indeed it is a possibly wider issue?) to save me some time, I'd welcome any suggestions.  Ta.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

2 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

While I am here, I am getting a pop-up in Firefox, every time I do anything on the forum, asking me if I want to receive notifications from the site?  I'm suspecting this is a Firefox issue, and some setting I can adjust in Firefox. Have not yet looked at fixing, but if anyone knows (or if indeed it is a possibly wider issue?) to save me some time, I'd welcome any suggestions.  Ta.

Click on the bell icon (top right) and select notification settings. You can customise which alerts you get, and how you receive them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I'm still getting a 'possible malware' warning if I access the page information, but I'm not getting the full-page red screen warnings.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

You just click/tap on the star or circle at the left of the thread title to go to the first unread post. At least, that works for me.

Oh yes! That's good, isn't it. I had no idea it did that. It's a collective learning exercise. :)

37 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'm still getting a 'possible malware' warning if I access the page information, but I'm not getting the full-page red screen warnings.

Oh crumbs. :(

May just be a throwback from the bugs in the old system that need flushing out of various malware reporting systems now we're all new and shiny. Which browser are you using when the warnings appear? Is it one specific browser, or various?

10 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Oh crumbs. :(

May just be a throwback from the bugs in the old system that need flushing out of various malware reporting systems now we're all new and shiny. Which browser are you using when the warnings appear? Is it one specific browser, or various?

May be worth people having any issues flushing their browser cache.

Well done John, seems less clunky than the old forum and so far I have found easy to navigate around the place.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived