Hull and District League (The end???)

Im led to believe the commitee held an emergency meeting last night to discuss and vote on a move from winter to summer rugby in a bid to save the league.

North Hull, Myton (A) and east hull have all applied for the Yorkshire mens league for 2017.

Even if they do swtich to summer I think itll still be a tough task to keep the league going as the main reason teams are swtiching to YML is for more competitive fixtures and to test themselves.

Here in the pennine league its still ticking over but the number of clubs playing YML is creeping up year on year

None of the teams applying for the YML have a problem with the winter game, it is more the outdated views of the committee and some of the clubs. Beverley, Hull Wyke, West Hull and now Myton have all had issues in recent years with management and think the YML is a better run league. Myton were running 2 teams in the winter league but I have heard several senior players are not willing to travel and will run 1 alongside their NCL team and again politics is getting in the way of a good game of rugby.

Norland swept all before them in the Hull League and moved to YML for a better competition, not sure if they have a team this year and it appears may have only lasted 1 season, most of their players seem to be playing in the Hull League, are North Hull looking to switch as a number of their players are playing at Beverley

I don't think switching the Hull league to summer will save the league it is the outdated views of several people at the meetings, the problem is apart from the Premier league all the other leagues including division 1 have call offs and non-travel, the merit league was supposed to have all these new clubs wanting to dip their toes into RL in 2015 over 20 names, 2016 the fixtures were virtually non-existent, that is a reduction!

Sorry to say the switch to summer has been a failure in the concept of what it was intended to do

• Very few new clubs, don't forget we were told the game will expand
  • Increase participation, sorry clubs are still failing and travelling short most of the summer/winter players are the same players moving around, where are these new players?
  • 16-18 game virtually non-existent below this a reduction in real terms
  • No clubs are enjoying the attendances they used to get
  • If the game was doing well why the reduced funding again with more redundancies pending, these will be post's that affect the real game not the jobs for the boy's.

We have to remember summer rugby is nothing new and the game has been played for as long as I can remember in the summer with no increase, if it was so good why did it not expand would our game not have been better with a strong summer and winter competition?

1 hour ago, Defender1 said:

None of the teams applying for the YML have a problem with the winter game, it is more the outdated views of the committee and some of the clubs. Beverley, Hull Wyke, West Hull and now Myton have all had issues in recent years with management and think the YML is a better run league. Myton were running 2 teams in the winter league but I have heard several senior players are not willing to travel and will run 1 alongside their NCL team and again politics is getting in the way of a good game of rugby.

Norland swept all before them in the Hull League and moved to YML for a better competition, not sure if they have a team this year and it appears may have only lasted 1 season, most of their players seem to be playing in the Hull League, are North Hull looking to switch as a number of their players are playing at Beverley

I don't think switching the Hull league to summer will save the league it is the outdated views of several people at the meetings, the problem is apart from the Premier league all the other leagues including division 1 have call offs and non-travel, the merit league was supposed to have all these new clubs wanting to dip their toes into RL in 2015 over 20 names, 2016 the fixtures were virtually non-existent, that is a reduction!

Sorry to say the switch to summer has been a failure in the concept of what it was intended to do

• Increase participation, sorry clubs are still failing and travelling short most of the summer/winter players are the same players moving around, where are these new players?
  • If the game was doing well why the reduced funding again with more redundancies pending, these will be post's that affect the real game not the jobs for the boy's.

We have to remember summer rugby is nothing new and the game has been played for as long as I can remember in the summer with no increase, if it was so good why did it not expand would our game not have been better with a strong summer and winter competition?

Extremely well put together piece, perhaps the outdated commitee can take note of what numerous people involved in the local clubs are seemingly repeating?

YML has high fulfillment in the premier and division 1 you are quite right, the merit league needs to be revamped however.

Perhaps regional divisions below the top 2 leagues could work? cut travel costs, encourage players to play, regular games etc....

However, the YML does have its faults but the current state of the game sees them still the best run league outside of the conference and for that reason alone i believe the transfer from barla run leagues to YML will only increase.

Im looking forward to seeing the leagues when they are drawn up; possibly 7/8 teams who a couple of years ago where playing H&D.

51 minutes ago, Luckyno7 said:

Extremely well put together piece, perhaps the outdated commitee can take note of what numerous people involved in the local clubs are seemingly repeating?

YML has high fulfillment in the premier and division 1 you are quite right, the merit league needs to be revamped however.

Perhaps regional divisions below the top 2 leagues could work? cut travel costs, encourage players to play, regular games etc....

However, the YML does have its faults but the current state of the game sees them still the best run league outside of the conference and for that reason alone i believe the transfer from barla run leagues to YML will only increase.

Im looking forward to seeing the leagues when they are drawn up; possibly 7/8 teams who a couple of years ago where playing H&D.

If you did a local league as you posted with the names you mentioned and ones that were playing already

Dockers, Beverley, Hull Wyke, West Hull, East Hull, Skirlaugh, Myton Warriors, North Hull (Not a bad league)

Not sure about Norland and obviously teams playing in the league already, 3 Tuns YC semi finalist (and where I will be this week) I am 99% certain the majority of these will will not play for the Hull and District League under the current management and rule structure.

5 hours ago, Defender1 said:

Pennine have a problem as well, with a change of thinking they could have expanded, but instead teams who didn't like the way it was being managed moved to the YML, Also many of the people with vision on the Yorkshire BARLA committee have been driven out/given up because of the negative thinking coming out of the Pennine/BARLA (Both the same now sadly) management.

Apart from the NCL `A` teams most of the YML are ex-CMS teams and if you remember they jumped to the greener grass of the Pennine only to find it wasn't, now they've jumped to the only alternative because the CMS Yorkshire league wasn't allowed to reform, if it had from what I was hearing it would have attracted a few clubs back to the winter and we all know what good fair leadership does.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Would it be feasible for the Hull and District League to be incorporated into the YML. As the YML got further down the league structure it could be regionalised into North and East, Central, South and West for example. 

That won't happen it could work 

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, Luckyno7 said:

Im led to believe the commitee held an emergency meeting last night to discuss and vote on a move from winter to summer rugby in a bid to save the league.

North Hull, Myton (A) and east hull have all applied for the Yorkshire mens league for 2017.

Even if they do swtich to summer I think itll still be a tough task to keep the league going as the main reason teams are swtiching to YML is for more competitive fixtures and to test themselves.

Here in the pennine league its still ticking over but the number of clubs playing YML is creeping up year on year

Have you done a cross check to see how many are actually playing both seasons and how many teams on the YML website aren't actually still playing summer rugby ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived