Russia

Id like to see Russia really good one day. I know players have nothing to do with politics, but they could fit a nice villain role in our international game similar to Manly in use to (probably still do for some) back in the day. I don't think it will ever happen though.

What's Bozo doing these days? Would he be up for a coaching role?

(P.S. I like Russian people. Don't know why I just always have)

2 hours ago, B rad said:

Id like to see Russia really good one day. I know players have nothing to do with politics, but they could fit a nice villain role in our international game similar to Manly in use to (probably still do for some) back in the day. I don't think it will ever happen though.

What's Bozo doing these days? Would he be up for a coaching role?

(P.S. I like Russian people. Don't know why I just always have)

think they could be great at it. given "Hacking" used to be a massive part of the game Russia should be great at it!!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking_(rugby)

11 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

No, it has our code as having more people trying it than if we turn our nose up at rugby union clubs playing over their off-season. Given time, they may decide they actually prefer league, but that isn't going to happen if they don't try it in the first place. 

This isn't correct in this instance though.

While it may work in the south of England (or wherever) it certainly is not the case in Russia. The sport in Russia 'crossed codes' wholesale to union a few years ago. Simply gave up RL and started playing union.

The Russia women's national team actually did very well in the 2008 world cup - they beat France (and I think Tonga in a warm up game) but switched entirely to union just after the tournament. Women's union in russia is now purely sevens, since the sport gained olympic status.

IM2 mentions playing in Kazan, but 'world rugby' went in there in 2014 and targetted it as a developmdng area fof union (Tatarstan). Rugby League to my knowledge is dead there now. Around the time skolars played there, the city hosted a student european championship (2001ish?) and RL World covered the tournament with a great article, it was watched by massive crowds.  

Union has effectively wiped out RL in Russia (certainly the women's game) so please don't post stuff about how great it is that union clubs are offering a bit of off-season RL.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Totally agree Celt. It essentially a feeder comp how this is good I never know. The game a bit over 10 years ago had places like kazan and Moscow with crowds of 10 thousand plus even a Russian played nswrl cup for a season

Then the victory cup was huge event for few seasons with Russia beating barla before 25 thousand.

The game had huge potential with lots of junior activity but rugby union  it's seems has got its way over there 

I also posted this on a thread about Serbia, I could never understand why the people's party chose to play the code of the ruling classes. Another case of if only

If you look at the last 20 years for international what ifs Russia would be at top of the list. I not sure if rlif ever really got involved when the sugar daddy left, the dyanamo chairman left because of locomotiv yet when he left Vera held sport together for last 10 years. its a shadow of itself all clubs are now rugby union i doubt the best rugby players at these clubs are playing rugby league. The only way to fix have it government recognized and be able to have some form of professionalism this won't happen i can see.

22 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Their websites were very rugby union how? I don't think teams starting as rugby union clubs keeping fit in the off-season is a massive issue, as long as they have the opportunity to progress from that if they wish. 

I don't think this is true actually. The rugby league conference largely failed in this respect. Coventry Bears, Nottingham Outlaws and Gateshead Storm have progressed from a short season but even then Nottingham Outlaws are going to have to go back to a short RU league this year. Hemel and Skolars predate the RLC's short season and neither club ever benefitted from it

Archived