Joe Cobb retires

Hvy wg

3 hours ago, Jimmyvtec said:

He was useless asap referee. Won't be missed by me 

Until the day you turn up to watch a game and there's no ref. Just saying. We can't afford to lose refs - good, bad or indifferent! If they're bad, we need to help them improve, not drive them away.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

43 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Until the day you turn up to watch a game and there's no ref. Just saying. We can't afford to lose refs - good, bad or indifferent! If they're bad, we need to help them improve, not drive them away.

Isn't  it strange that when I watch a game as a neutral the referee always has a better game than when I watch a game with a vested interest? 

I used to listen and shake my head at some of the comments I heard on the touchline at amatuer games. 

Does anyone really think that a young ref drives a hundred miles to officiate at a game with the intention of having a stinker? 

He calls a game as he sees it and then is either shunned or abused in the clubhouse only to drive back home with the abuse still ringing in his ears. 

He must replay in his head over and over the calls that he made,  and yes he might realise he made a mistake in some of his calls.  But,  he was probably right in most. 

They are a bit of a special breed referees.  I wish I had had the inner strength, courage and ability that even the "worst"  of them have to show week in week out. 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

Isn't  it strange that when I watch a game as a neutral the referee always has a better game than when I watch a game with a vested interest? 

I used to listen and shake my head at some of the comments I heard on the touchline at amatuer games. 

Does anyone really think that a young ref drives a hundred miles to officiate at a game with the intention of having a stinker? 

He calls a game as he sees it and then is either shunned or abused in the clubhouse only to drive back home with the abuse still ringing in his ears. 

He must replay in his head over and over the calls that he made,  and yes he might realise he made a mistake in some of his calls.  But,  he was probably right in most. 

They are a bit of a special breed referees.  I wish I had had the inner strength, courage and ability that even the "worst"  of them have to show week in week out. 

To adapt an Irish phrase, 'The best referees are on the ditch.'

12 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

We can't afford to lose refs - good, bad or indifferent! If they're bad, we need to help them improve, not drive them away.

Would be bad news if we lost the Likes of Chris Campbell and Jack Smith.  Lets hope more like these two step up. 

Wannabe Traffic Wardens like Cobb, Child and HIcks are square pegs in round holes.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Would be bad news if we lost the Likes of Chris Campbell and Jack Smith.  Lets hope more like these two step up. 

Wannabe Traffic Wardens like Cobb, Child and HIcks are square pegs in round holes.

What a lot of people dont realise as perhaps you may not WWW, is that all three of those referees you mention, came through to the top under the stewardship and coaching of the same era of coaches and trainers in the Referee's Department.

I assume when you describe them as "wannabe traffic wardens", you are conscious of their on pitch behaviours and attitudes. These are both by products of the way the previous heads of the Match Officials coached and directed them to referee.

Funny enough, all three are regularly slated in these forums but all three are salt of the earth, love the sport and have the sole intention to referee the game to the best of their abilities to ensure a fair contest of two competition points.

I strongly believe, their shortcomings as referees at the highest level come down to the coaching they receive.

With that, I direct my frustrations in other directions than at the individuals themselves.

On 18/01/2017 at 5:46 PM, TaxiEgg said:

More good press coming out of the RFL is in not now time for a full independent review on how the game is run ? 

Why bother with a review or "trial" when we know that some have already decided what the outcome should be?

Archived