Sign in to follow this  
Saint Toppy

Our new position in the EU

4 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Eh?

What is half of what I said it was?

Inflation has nothing to do with this. It is my INCOME that has been reduced by 15 - 20% in the space of about 13 months.

I am seriously saying that domestic inflation has absolutely nothing to do with my income.

I simply do not understand why you cannot grasp this very simple point. In Dec 2015, I transferred 1000GBP and received 1373EUR. In Feb 2016, I transferred 1000GBP and received 1171EUR. That is 14.7%.

Clearly not a good position to be in. In your view, given your direct experience, would it have been preferable had  Greece left, or never joined the Euro?

Four legs good - two legs bad

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

You chose to live in Greece, you chose to subject your income to currency fluctuations.

Its pretty arrogant to expect the people living in the UK to vote in a way that protects the income of those that don't live here

Indeed I did. And I'm still happy to live here.

How does that change the fact that I now get about 200EUR per month less than I did a year ago?

I am not arrogant. Angry, maybe.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So for those remainers in the UK with tracker pension funds, and there are several on here I know,  the world hasn't ended after all! Funny that's not bern mentioned up to now.

Yes its almost like I can see past my own pocket....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

it's all go here in Malta at present. A group of visiting MEPs  holding hearings nto the implication of various Malta politicians in the Panama Papers scandal find them evasive, and that Malta financial rules facilitate money laundering.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20170222/local/nexia-bt-confused-me-with-keith-schembri-konrad-mizzi-tells-meps.640359

A number of car bomb explosions, some fatal,  some not, linked to organised crime and none solved by the police. Last one was this monday a mile down the road from here. 

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20170221/local/cracking-maltas-latest-spate-of-car-bombs.640264

Lots..and I mean lots...of superyachts moored in various harbours and boatyards here, including Indian Empress, whose owner is facing extradition to India to face charges of defaulting on $1 billion of loans. (Search Indian Empress for more on this story.)

During our stay we have come across a significant number of projects jointly funded by Malta and the EU: 15% funded locally,  85% funded by the EU. 

Edited by JohnM

1 minute ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yes its almost like I can see past my own pocket....

Ot that like others on here, it's almost as if you are keeping quiet about the positives of Brexit. I know you wouldn't do that,  though.

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Clearly not a good position to be in. In your view, given your direct experience, would it have been preferable had  Greece left, or never joined the Euro?

I think I've said before that Greece has been an economic basket case for at least 30 years. It used to manage problems by devaluing the drachma, which it can no longer do. Greece never met the "compliance" terms (can't remember the exact term, but it was about 'proving' your economy was robust enough to survive in the Euro) and should never have joined the Euro. Hey ho! Life goes on and I am a lot better off than many Greeks (particularly pensioners) are now.

Just now, tonyXIII said:

Indeed I did. And I'm still happy to live here.

How does that change the fact that I now get about 200EUR per month less than I did a year ago?

I am not arrogant. Angry, maybe.

When you moved abroad you did so knowing that the exchange rate would alter daily with or without Brexit. While the pound has been strong you've benefitted, now its weaker your worse off - that's the way it goes I'm afraid. You knew those risks but chose to move anyway.

I've lived & worked overseas, sending money back the other way. My mortgage payments didn't change on my UK property but every month I was getting different rates, some months I had to transfer more dollars to make the same mortgage payment, some months less. You just have to accept that if you move overseas then your income will be affected if your transferring money between currencies. If your not prepared to accept that then don't live overseas - simple as that.

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Ot that like others on here, it's almost as if you are keeping quiet about the positives of Brexit. I know you wouldn't do that,  though.

As mentioned earlier..... I wouldn't want to see the economy tank or the UK go down the gary glitter just so I can say "I told you so"! Not by any means.

However, if either occurrence transpires.... I WILL say "I told you so".... Whilst urging exploration of rejoining the Eu.... :wink:

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

When you moved abroad you did so knowing that the exchange rate would alter daily with or without Brexit. While the pound has been strong you've benefitted, now its weaker your worse off - that's the way it goes I'm afraid. You knew those risks but chose to move anyway.

I've lived & worked overseas, sending money back the other way. My mortgage payments didn't change on my UK property but every month I was getting different rates, some months I had to transfer more dollars to make the same mortgage payment, some months less. You just have to accept that if you move overseas then your income will be affected if your transferring money between currencies. If your not prepared to accept that then don't live overseas - simple as that.

Where have I said that I'm not prepared to accept that? I haven't.

Of course I knew that I would be at the mercy of exchange rates when I moved abroad. However, I couldn't possibly foresee the people of the UK voting to leave the EU (in fact, EU membership was one of the considerations when I moved) and, so causing a 15% drop in the pound's value.

People don't understand my point of view on here. I must be useless at explaining things. Last attempt, as I'm off to work soon. I can live with exchange rate fluctuations. I can even live with a 15% (or even 25%) drop. What I can't stand is people who keep insisting that "nothing has happened because we haven't left the EU yet" and "even if something has happened, it's not the fault of brexit" when clearly that is demonstrably not true. The exchange rate dropped significantly and quickly during and immediately after the referendum campaigns. To suggest that either this hasn't happened or this isn't the result of brexit is beyond belief.

• Like 1

Tony - little story my father told me  many times over the years(about greece) . When he started work 50-60 years ago one of the joiners use to head down to Greece on a motorcycle and sidecar for his two weeks summer hols . He went by himself , travel took most of the holiday up ! Dad said he had a few pictures but not many , not many building/people in them just mountains/sea/sun . Think he said Rhodes ? was the place he ended up at . Must have been an adventure .

3 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Eh?

What is half of what I said it was?

Inflation has nothing to do with this. It is my INCOME that has been reduced by 15 - 20% in the space of about 13 months.

I am seriously saying that domestic inflation has absolutely nothing to do with my income.

I simply do not understand why you cannot grasp this very simple point. In Dec 2015, I transferred 1000GBP and received 1373EUR. In Feb 2016, I transferred 1000GBP and received 1171EUR. That is 14.7%.

Inflation doesn't affect buying power?

The £ to € rate has fallen 8% in 12 months.

Given the referendum resultshouldn't you have considered exchange rate fluctuations when moving amounts of money?

You made the choice to move to a country that uses a failed currency and is never going to recover from it's debt crisis.

2 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Where have I said that I'm not prepared to accept that? I haven't.

Of course I knew that I would be at the mercy of exchange rates when I moved abroad. However, I couldn't possibly foresee the people of the UK voting to leave the EU (in fact, EU membership was one of the considerations when I moved) and, so causing a 15% drop in the pound's value.

People don't understand my point of view on here. I must be useless at explaining things. Last attempt, as I'm off to work soon. I can live with exchange rate fluctuations. I can even live with a 15% (or even 25%) drop. What I can't stand is people who keep insisting that "nothing has happened because we haven't left the EU yet" and "even if something has happened, it's not the fault of brexit" when clearly that is demonstrably not true. The exchange rate dropped significantly and quickly during and immediately after the referendum campaigns. To suggest that either this hasn't happened or this isn't the result of brexit is beyond belief.

What if it's back up next year? Or is the first 6-7 months what defines if something is a failure? 

29 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

What if it's back up next year? Or is the first 6-7 months what defines if something is a failure? 

I'm guessing for a lot of people, it'll be personal circumstances alone that decides if its a success or failure.  If you voted leave and are employed, then I guess currently its a success, your income will have stayed steady and you can manage your outgoings as needed by shopping around for deals on food etc if needs be and you'll still be boyed by the result, especially those of an older vintage that have been waiting for this since 1975!

If your self employed, especially in a smaller business then I guess its all about riding out the storm, personally it feels largely negative currently due to a fall in income at a time costs have gone up, but who knows what the picture will be like in 6 months time!

I've rose to JohnM's challenge earlier about personal positives and I've drawn a blank so far, perhaps I'm just that way out at the moment!

40 minutes ago, shrek said:

I'm guessing for a lot of people, it'll be personal circumstances alone that decides if its a success or failure.  If you voted leave and are employed, then I guess currently its a success, your income will have stayed steady and you can manage your outgoings as needed by shopping around for deals on food etc if needs be and you'll still be buoyed by the result, especially those of an older vintage that have been waiting for this since 1975!

If your self employed, especially in a smaller business then I guess its all about riding out the storm, personally it feels largely negative currently due to a fall in income at a time costs have gone up, but who knows what the picture will be like in 6 months time!

I've rose to JohnM's challenge earlier about personal positives and I've drawn a blank so far, perhaps I'm just that way out at the moment!

Despite being a Remain supporter, life in the UK is far more affordable for me than it was before as a result of Brexit.

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Despite being a Remain supporter, life in the UK is far more affordable for me than it was before as a result of Brexit.

Excellent, but I thought you lived and worked in America?  The UK is far more affordable for pretty much anyone earning there crust overseas these days!  ;)

7 minutes ago, shrek said:

Excellent, but I thought you lived and worked in America?  The UK is far more affordable for pretty much anyone earning there crust overseas these days!  ;)

Back to Denmark now.  But yes, I earned money in dollars and for the moment, my trips to England are very cheap.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

With collaborationist friends like him, who needs enemies? No wonder Cameron cams back with virtually nothing if this guy was involved.  Good riddance. Lets just trust that his replacement will take no nonsense from the Eurocrats. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/22/brexit-talks-could-get-gory-bitter-and-twisted-sir-ivan-rogers

3 hours ago, henage said:

Tony - little story my father told me  many times over the years(about greece) . When he started work 50-60 years ago one of the joiners use to head down to Greece on a motorcycle and sidecar for his two weeks summer hols . He went by himself , travel took most of the holiday up ! Dad said he had a few pictures but not many , not many building/people in them just mountains/sea/sun . Think he said Rhodes ? was the place he ended up at . Must have been an adventure .

A great adventure. Lots of people fly to Greece, but I always suggest frequent visitors should, at least once, do the overland route to Italy and get a ferry from there to Greece. It takes about 5 days, but is well worth it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexHaldane said:

Inflation doesn't affect buying power?

The £ to € rate has fallen 8% in 12 months.

Given the referendum resultshouldn't you have considered exchange rate fluctuations when moving amounts of money?

You made the choice to move to a country that uses a failed currency and is never going to recover from it's debt crisis.

What are you on?

1 minute ago, tonyXIII said:

A great adventure. Lots of people fly to Greece, but I always suggest frequent visitors should, at least once, do the overland route to Italy and get a ferry from there to Greece. It takes about 5 days, but is well worth it!

A journey I've always wanted to do but never, as yet, got around to.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 minute ago, tonyXIII said:

What are you on?

Well as of around half an hour ago not this forum. Craig has given him the boot.

• Like 2

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Then I'll be happier. It has been more than 6-7 months already. And when did I say it was a failure? I said that the UK has shot itself in my foot. I have said that it has caused the £ to fall and that hurts me NOW. I have not said it is a failure.

I wish the brexiters would not put words in my mouth. FYI I think it will be a failure. I don't expect anyone to accept that it was either a failure or a success, no matter what evidence is produced.

6 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Well as of around half an hour ago not this forum. Craig has given him the boot.

Well, that saves me the task of scanning the receipts for the quoted transfers, posting them on here and then going through the maths with him. Thank you, Craig.

5 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Then I'll be happier. It has been more than 6-7 months already. And when did I say it was a failure? I said that the UK has shot itself in my foot. I have said that it has caused the £ to fall and that hurts me NOW. I have not said it is a failure.

I wish the brexiters would not put words in my mouth. FYI I think it will be a failure. I don't expect anyone to accept that it was either a failure or a success, no matter what evidence is produced.

Sorry but your posts do point to claiming it is a failure. Not maybe, definitely and using your income as an illustration.

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Sorry but your posts do point to claiming it is a failure. Not maybe, definitely and using your income as an illustration.

Personal illustration. And only to refute any nonsense.