The Bradford Thread

tandle

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this makes rugby league a absolute laughing stock words fail me the rfl must have received business plans they have kept secret for the press to make a statement like they have after only a few hours after liquidation it stinks 

this makes rugby league a absolute laughing stock words fail me the rfl must have received business plans they have kept secret for the press to make a statement like they have after only a few hours after liquidation it stinks 

The RFL knew who was bidding, they will have confidential info.  The administrator has turned the bids down, not the RFL.

As for being a laughing stock, London Welsh in RU have liquidated mid season are are going to carry on playing games borrowing players.  Not one has batted an eyelid outside of RU.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Admin? Can we merge this into the rejected bid thread? Seems like one and the same discussion? Cheers

Your wish... my command... and all that!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The irritating thing is Bradford were obviously over spending and achieved their league position artificially.If they had spent within their means what league position would they have ended up at?

When the new oldham club was formed, we had to start in the third tier with no funding for the first year. All this nonsense about Rugby league needs a Bradford club really grates.

As I see it the "consortium" spoke to the administrator and then had a meeting with the RFL.

It seems the RFL gave them 2 options:

1. Take on the club with its debts, stay in the championship, receive central funding but have 12 pts deducted

2. Start a new club with no debts, stay in the championship, receive central funding but have 12 ptd deducted.

Surprise surprise option 2 happens.

The administrator turned down their bid, not the RFL.

I think the RFL had 2 options with a new club at this stage of the year -

1 - stick them in the championship.

2 - tell them to come back in 2019 2018 to be entered in CH1 and run the championship this year without them.

In terms of players will Bradford lose many of the current squad? Most teams have an established squad with possibly a few quid spare (like us)for the right addition part way through the season. The players may be forced to accept the best part-time deals available.

I think it will depend on time, If things move quickly I can see people staying.  But it is a job and you have to look after yourself at the end of the day.

It is one of the main reasons why I fell out with rugby league. What happened to Oldham and what has happened to subsequent clubs is absolutely disgraceful and is nothing short of total mismanagement. The RFL have no idea at all. Rugby League does not need Bradford any more than it needs Oldham, Swinton, Dewsbury, Whitehaven and Workington etc. The problem is it in't about history or tradition its all about whether your face fits or not . It has become a Mickey Mouse sport and is therefore the main reason for my lack of interest and until there is more consistency and fairness in the game I will find it difficult to find the passion that I once had for the game. There is no doubt in my mind thst the only fair thing to have done was to allow Bradford into Championship 1 with no central funding or the first year and let them work their way up the ladder as we have had to do

3 administrations in 5 years and the RFL just let various regimes get on with it despite all the warning signs.

Whatever happened to due diligence?

Whatever happened to audit of accounts?

Will a new club be subject to due diligence and its directors to 'fit and proper person' tests? Is there time to do this properly before start of new season?

Altogether, the whole thing stinks.

120 years of rugby league and the game doesn't have clear rules or structure or governance or fairness. A dog's dinner of a sport.

Which heavily indebted, badly run club will be next to hit the buffers? You can be certain there are plenty of candidates out there?

Agree with most of that Geoff, but there are rules and regs in place from the RFL rulebook. Padge on the main board takes credit for this:-

4.7 In the event of a member ceasing to be a member upon notice from the Company by virtue of Acquisition, Change of Control or Insolvency Event, the Board, at its absolute discretion, shall have the right to readmit the member or admit a new member as a member on any terms as it sees fit, which for the avoidance of doubt, may include financial, administrative and/or sporting sanctions. In the event of membership continuing the Board may determine that membership shall be deemed to continue to subsist as if the member had not ceased to be a member at all. The Board will from time to time set out policy for the exercise of its discretion but is not bound by such policy or precedent decided under such policy or previous policy and the Board shall be entitled to amend any policy with immediate effect.

4.8 The Board has the right (but not obligation) to stipulate in advance of an Acquisition. Change of Control or Insolvency Event, whether or not a member will be readmitted or a new member admitted in such circumstances and to stipulate what terms it will apply.

So the RFL are within their rights to offer a place in the Championship to a New Bradford outfit.Is it fair though considering what other clubs including ourselves have gone through? No,of course not,but the rule is there.

Bradford supporters don't want a new club in the Championship but to start completely afresh from Champ 1. The problems facing new owners are pretty vast and also the RFL statement today about the process of a new club being formed seem to be quite stringent also with a caveat that the new club must play at Odsal,therefore making sure the RFL get the rent paid.

Don't get me wrong,I don't agree with the RFL and I assume these rules would apply to any club who subsequently goes to the wall. There are no guarantees that Bradford will be resurrected in time for this season, if that sad scenario occurs the RFL will look even more stupid after the efforts to manufacture a place in the league as though nothing has happened.

The rules on situations like this must be changed,surely member clubs should have a vote to allow readmission to the RFL when a club applies to be reinstated. Clubs who go bust and reform as a newco must start in the lowest league. If a club goes into administration but does not liquidate then its status quo with a big points deduction. 

Bradford fans,players and staff are innocent in this shambles. The RFL have made a massive rod for their own backs now with the decisions they have taken. Let's all hope that RL gets past this episode and continues to develop.

**Just seen this thread on RLfans messageboard. Only rumours mind, but the plot potentially thickens............http://i.rlfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=601660

hi roughyed 34 what is your honest opinion of our game going forward under the present leadership what ex scrum half said I believe is 100% right.    this Bradford debacle as brought the integrity of rugby league to a new low no wonder we can not get descent sponsors.

The people running the game are not fit for purpose Tandle imho, the whole of the RFL governing body needs a massive shake up. It needs people with vision and more input given to member clubs. I don't know how much say member clubs have in the present structure,but clearly as demonstrated in recent times it doesn't seem a lot.They also need to keep tighter checks on finances at clubs before we end up with another "Bradfordgate".

To go forward and improve the game it must start from grass roots level and form proper structures and pathways from there instead of trying to manufacture "expansion" clubs. The idea of having a truly national league is not beyond the realms of possibility in time but the present RFL board don't really give chance for the expansion clubs such as Oxford.Hemel et al to succeed,because they have limited or no "leagues" to develop players from and sustain the clubs. This is the biggest problem I have with the game at the moment, its too contrived Toronto being the latest expansion scheme.

There is nothing wrong with expansion and spreading RL to whoever may fancy it, but to go about it the way they do is garbage. At the risk of sounding anti expansionist (which I'm not) the RFL must surely be duty bound to help and honour the clubs that have been around over the last 100+ years. Yes they are mainly Northern,but the history of the game from its inception in 1895 dictated that. The RFL seem to have forgotten the "traditional" clubs to further the cause of expansion. That isn't right in my opinion. The clubs who sustained the game MUST come first and have the help and support of the Governing body.When that house is in order and in good health then we look to expand the game from a stable base.

The worst thing to happen to RL was the Super League, too much money pumped in in a very short space of time which created a boom or bust environment (don't we know it), the be all and end all of the game is perceived to be SL but I don't think that is the case

The game is struggling to attract sponsorship etc, not because the product is rubbish,but because the RFL/SL change the rules to suit their agenda and unfortunately in the Champ/Champ1 there is little media coverage and zero TV exposure to warrant "Big" sponsors to pay large amounts to be seen by a limited audience.The RFL need to get a TV deal together for the Champ/Champ1 but they have no interest really with us "smaller" clubs,the SL is the flagship for them (and SKY) and most people outside the game see "Rugby League" as "Super League.

There is no easy solution to solve the problems within the game at present, My personal fix would be to split from SL altogether make it a closed shop like in Australia, get the Championships in three divisions with the third being mainly top amateur clubs and 2 up 2 down promotion between them. Get a tv deal with Premier/ITV/BBC whoever and show a couple of games a week. Lets be honest the so called "Holy Grail" of trying to secure a place in the SL will cripple more clubs before they get near that promised land. The Championships competition would be just as exciting with no real need to try to stretch resources to breaking point achieving a dream that would most likely be unsustainable for many clubs.

The RFL need to remember, that there was/is life beyond SL.

hi roughyed 34 what is your honest opinion of our game going forward under the present leadership what ex scrum half said I believe is 100% right.    this Bradford debacle as brought the integrity of rugby league to a new low no wonder we can not get descent sponsors.

I messed something up hear its the new format.     thank you for honest and well constructed reply its obvious that the real rugby supporters are sick and tired of  how our once great sport as descended to.    this debacle with Bradford is a shambles but some rugby league chairmen have  stated  on posts that the rfl have acted excellently they have sold their souls because a Bradford team will bring a good away following very sad times for rugby league.

I feel for the staff of the bulls,  I feel for their fans who have paid for their season tickets and there is no onus on the new club to honour them 

The super league clubs say that they have Bradford interests at heart but if they did why not pay a transfer fee so the people that are owed money get something 

But the self interest will fair outweigh what is right 

Archived