Cheers!! Skolars announce pouring partner for Capital Challenge 2017

IM2

London Skolars are delighted to announce Sharps Doom Bar as official pouring partner of the 2017 Nasdaq Capital Challenge.

Doom Bar

Speaking of the agreement, Skolars General Manager Jac Davies commented:

“Doom bar is a popular brand within our new “1995 Bar” at the Skolars Clubhouse and we’re very pleased that the brand have teamed up with us for this year’s Capital Challenge, it will see a bar on the artillery garden for the first time at a Capital Challenge event, a feature that I’m confident will enrich the match day experience.”

Sharps Doom Bar will be available during the 2017 Capital Challenge game on the artillery garden of the HAC. For further information on Doom Bar and other Sharps products, please visit www.sharpsbrewery.co.uk

Match day tickets are still available for Friday’s game between London Skolars and Wigan Warriors by following:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/capital-challenge-2017-london-skolars-vs-wigan-warriors-tickets-30072522725

Doom Bar used to be a good beer but now like many other beers it is now over produced and it is not even brewed in it s original home. Why not have one of the London microbreweries? 

30 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

Doom Bar used to be a good beer but now like many other beers it is now over produced and it is not even brewed in it s original home. Why not have one of the London microbreweries? 

Completely agree that it's overproduced - although if you get it in Devon and Cornwall then it's still brewed in Rock and as good as ever. Rest of the UK it's brewed in Burton IIRC and not a patch on it....

However, the more positive way of spinning the story would be to say that it's Molson Coors (global owners of Sharp's) backing an RL event in the heart of London. Who knows, if they get a taste for it they might just extend the sponsorship to other RL things - Molson Coors having the budget to do that, rather than "one of the London microbreweries"....

Or, this being RL, we could just find fault with it within 15 hours of the press release ;)

2 minutes ago, zorquif said:

I can't believe no one has mentioned "pouring partner". What a crock of...

A link up connected to your last phrase might promote an a*rse wipe ally, perhaps Izal, or Velvet would be interested.

Modern boll*cks eh?

1 hour ago, bazzzz65 said:

Absolutely. Why are we having brands owned by large multinationals as sponsors when we COULD instead target small local businesses?

I am with you on this one, comrade - the last thing this sport needs is positivity around sponsorship deals.

How about Wakefield being sponsored by a dog grooming shop? Is that one "local" enough for you, or would you prefer something smaller?

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Just now, Celt said:

Absolutely. Why are we having brands owned by large multinationals as sponsors when we COULD instead target small local businesses?

I am with you on this one, comrade - the last thing this sport needs is positivity around sponsorship deals.

How about Wakefield being sponsored by a dog grooming shop? Is that one "local" enough for you, or would you prefer something smaller?

Perhaps Wakefield Ferret Rescue would fit the bill?

lads this is a great deal for the club and helps maximise the potential of the day.

it also adds a lot as the bar on site would have nothing remotely as nice as this or even resembling a real ale so again a step forward.

nice to see a bit more positivity.

Truly gutted that can't be there and, yes, this is yet more good news: now need to top last year's attendance and beat the Wigan team! By way, is this really generating six figure or did I miss read that on Twitter?

(PS Happy to have a east London micro brewery associated with the Barrow game I am planning to sponsor!!)

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM, bazzzz65 said:

Phew. After a whole thread of positivity on the Toronto sponsorship deal you've restored my faith in the forum.

12 hours ago, John Rhino said:

Few. After a whole thread of positivity on the Toronto sponsorship deal you've restored my faith in the forum.

Sorry. It is just my personal view about Doom Bar. I am pleased that Skolars have Molson Coors as a sponsor but there are much better beers in London than Doom Bar.

Sorry. It is just my personal view about Doom Bar. I am pleased that Skolars have Molson Coors as a sponsor but there are much better beers in London than Doom Bar.

True but credit to Skolars for promoting real ale at games over the seasons (there is a real ale festival at the London Clash next week). Last year we had a link up with Caveman brewery from Kent. Doom Bar though is great as it's a nationally recognised brand. The link says something about the clubs positive attuitude to sponsorship and marketing. 

I may go to the London Clash next week as Fulham FC are playing Hull City on the Sunday. Hope to see some good London beers there. They have real ale and real cider at the Cottage but it is £4.80 a pint. Still an improvement on most sports grounds which have no real ale on offer.

Wile I agree  Doom Bar  isn't the best tasting beer available in London by a long way, it's a great move from the club to secure a high profile sponsor. Well done to them.

Lots of clubs are sponsored by companies that produce things I don't personally like; it doesn't stop them from being really good for the club and the sport. 

As for the "pouring partner" title, that;s just the way of the modern world. Given the target audience for the Capital Challenge I think it actually looks pretty good. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I may go to the London Clash next week as Fulham FC are playing Hull City on the Sunday. Hope to see some good London beers there. They have real ale and real cider at the Cottage but it is £4.80 a pint. Still an improvement on most sports grounds which have no real ale on offer.

Only £3 a pint last season! 

There does seem to be a synergy between RL and real ale. The same exists with non league footie for some reason. 

If the Capital Challenge is an event, then it's the Southern equivalent of the Charity Shield in which the result matters less than the fact that it marks the commencement of the season. I have been to the majority of Captall Challenges and would have gone last year as i had my ticket but save my mother being in intensive care.so I think you can give me a pass on that. What I will say is that the rugby gods appear to smile on this event with he only pouring coming from Skolars pouring partners rather than the heavens as that would be brutal in that part of the HAC that is forever Rugby League

This game means little in the grand scheme of things.in the sense it was literally men agaijnst boys. With Skolars Bulky (but not in an athletic way) forwards hurling themselves against the Wigan Under 19's.forcing them to have to commit numbers to halt forward progress Skolars domninated the first half with three tries scored on the right flank of Wigan, one a unionesqe piece of burowing over from dummy half Wigan;s sole response came when Skolars Full back fumbled a high kick which the youth capitalised on leaving the score 14-6 at the half.

The second half for 20 minutes resembled the first with Skolars adding tries on the left and Mike Bishay darting over.making the score 26 -6. At that point the Wigan revival started with their third try the best of the match. Wigan finiishing the stronger in the last 20 minutes enlivened by a double sending off following a stoush down the Skolars 20 metre line. Wigan's number 11 and Skolars number 3 getting their marching orders. IMO the Skolars number 8 should have joined them hurling the ball into the melee. That said the only TKO on the day was a spectator in the first half knocked falt out by a kick to touch near the half way line. Wigan's late rally almost earned the draw and was creditable for an Under 19 side against Adults. "Character forming" as my Geography / Sport Teacher would have said as we thrashed around playing Thugby Union un the mud

Nice to see some old Broncos in Bish and on his return to the capital no doubt sme of his team mates will seek out the lager with Lamont....

The Crowd less than before IMO but not significantly. Some pix attached for your perusal (Andrew Varley eat your heart out...)

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0284 (2).JPG

DSC_0293 (2).JPG

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 19/01/2017 at 11:33 AM, bazzzz65 said:

Are you sure about that? I think you may need to check your actual facts.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

If the Capital Challenge is an event, then it's the Southern equivalent of the Charity Shield in which the result matters less than the fact that it marks the commencement of the season. I have been to the majority of Captall Challenges and would have gone last year as i had my ticket but save my mother being in intensive care.so I think you can give me a pass on that. What I will say is that the rugby gods appear to smile on this event with he only pouring coming from Skolars pouring partners rather than the heavens as that would be brutal in that part of the HAC that is forever Rugby League

This game means little in the grand scheme of things.in the sense it was literally men agaijnst boys. With Skolars Bulky (but not in an athletic way) forwards hurling themselves against the Wigan Under 19's.forcing them to have to commit numbers to halt forward progress Skolars domninated the first half with three tries scored on the right flank of Wigan, one a unionesqe piece of burowing over from dummy half Wigan;s sole response came when Skolars Full back fumbled a high kick which the youth capitalised on leaving the score 14-6 at the half.

The second half for 20 minutes resembled the first with Skolars adding tries on the left and Mike Bishay darting over.making the score 26 -6. At that point the Wigan revival started with their third try the best of the match. Wigan finiishing the stronger in the last 20 minutes enlivened by a double sending off following a stoush down the Skolars 20 metre line. Wigan's number 11 and Skolars number 3 getting their marching orders. IMO the Skolars number 8 should have joined them hurling the ball into the melee. That said the only TKO on the day was a spectator in the first half knocked falt out by a kick to touch near the half way line. Wigan's late rally almost earned the draw and was creditable for an Under 19 side against Adults. "Character forming" as my Geography / Sport Teacher would have said as we thrashed around playing Thugby Union un the mud

Nice to see some old Broncos in Bish and on his return to the capital no doubt sme of his team mates will seek out the lager with Lamont....

The Crowd less than before IMO but not significantly. Some pix attached for your perusal (Andrew Varley eat your heart out...)

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0284 (2).JPG

DSC_0293 (2).JPG

nice pics & best game yet imo

My 1st  game at the HAC in quite some time ( went to the 1st  one and haven't been since due to commitments )

I must say really enjoyed it and liking what its become! Doom bar went  down a treat  and am sure the "tent" can be expanded on year on year. Seemed to be a respectable enough crowd too. Much bigger and you have to look at increasing the amount  of touchline available or a stand almost . Was also good to see the primary schools engagement  going  on.

As far as the game was concerned I thought the younger Wigan pack performed heroically, considering how many Lbs they gave away per man.  Ones to watch in the future, their 7 & 19 in the halves plus the young lad with 5 on his back ( although played more RH Centre from memory)  who did a lot of things right during the 2nd half.

Took my dad along who enjoyed it too. Dependant on the trains nearer the time , we very much considering the Skolars v Toronto game in March,

Archived