Copeland and Stoke

In both constituencies, the sitting MP has arguably said to voters of all persuasions:

"Two years ago, I asked for your votes and promised, if elected, to get the very best deals possible for this constituency and its populace. Unfortunately, I've been offered more money to do another job outside party politics. I'm going to take it because I don't see any immediate future for me in my Party. By personal preference, I won't be honouring any commitment to serve the full term for which I was elected. Best of luck in the By-Election."

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tories will take Cope land.  The unequivocal support for Moorside will see them home. Labour are riding the wrong horse with the NHS.

UKIP winning Stoke Central would be fascinating, just to see if it would stir the 170 from their let's wait until we lose in 2020 before we act stasis.t

I can't see them pulling it off. They won't have enough of a local message to back up on the Brexit vote. Die hard Labour loyalty might just sneak it for them.

18 minutes ago, JohnM said:

But we've been told by the UKIP apologiests that the exploits of Nuttall's serial lying have no bearing on the Stoke election. Therefore what justification would UKIP have in bringing in this to the Stoke campaign?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

If the betting is anything to go by Stoke is going to UKIP, Labour might have seen the money, but according to Oddschecker, almost 55% of bets placed are going on UKIP compared to just over 28% on Labour.

The Tories look to have the volume of bets and the money up in Copeland.

56 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

But we've been told by the UKIP apologiests that the exploits of Nuttall's serial lying have no bearing on the Stoke election. Therefore what justification would UKIP have in bringing in this to the Stoke campaign?

1. Who are these UKIP apologists you refer to? Names?  Evidence? 

2.why would UKIP need to bring it in? Are you saying the electors can't read?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

It might well be of use to Trump.

Unless UKIP has somehow morphed into an efficient campaign machine, which seems highly unlikely, itwon't win even with gifts like this.

It comprises a group of central office types who simply tour from place to place.

8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

What happened on Radio5 with Nicky Campbell?

It was an hour and a half long session in stoke with a representative selection of thd electorate, with the main candidates there to be interviewed bu Campbell and face questions from the audience. Excellent idea. Quite rightly he and the Labour candidate were questioned by Campbell about their gaffs,  mistakes, errors, untruths etc.. Camberley was relentless in pursuit of Nuttall, returning again and again to points already covered. Much less so than with the Labour guy. As has so often bee  statec on here,  both the BBC and Campbell are scrupulously fair in their treatment of both politics and rugby league,  so I am probably over reacting.

8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The Channel 4 piece far more balanced than the BBC piece I mentioned. An all about attack on Nuttall saying it was the end for him, with no mention of any other candidate. 

Labour will win this seat, unless the extra help from some sections of the media backfires.

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Whats the latest prediction? Labour to shade Stoke?

Some suggestions are that the torries might nick it.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Labour have bussed in 50 MPs and 6 coach loads of party activists to Copeland to try and mobilise voters. The apathy around here is palpable, even the local news could hardly be bothered with it last night.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

23 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

In Stoke? Not something I was expecting if it turns out that way... 

Just suggestions, plus the PM turned up there at start of the week.

20 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Just suggestions, plus the PM turned up there at start of the week.

Was she there to spread more miss-truths about the voting records of the other Stoke Labour MPs? :dry:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Suggestions that the turnout in stoke might be below 30%.

We heard often the the people of stoke felt abandoned by Westminster and the London elites.  If the turnout is below 30%, can Westminster turn around and say tough s***, if you can't be bothered to vote don't moan about the outcome?

Labour hold Stoke  turnout just over 36%

Mr Corbyn said the party's "message was not enough to win through in Copeland" but hailed victory in Stoke as a "decisive rejection of UKIP's politics of division and dishonesty".

He added: "Labour will go further to reconnect with voters and break with the failed political consensus."

Conservatives win Copeland

Professor John Curtice, of Strathclyde University, said the Copeland result was the best by-election performance by a governing party in terms of the increase in its share of the vote since January 1966.increase

Losing Copeland is not good news for labour; another nail in the coffin of Corbyn's leadership? Let's hope so.

Glad Nuttall was defeated; though no doubt his CV and website will say "MP for Stoke on Trent" by the end of the week. :dry:

Archived