Rugby Football League new logo

When I was in business one maxim was always to keep a close eye on companies that had a fish tank in the foyer, a flagpole outside the main building or launched a new logo unexpectedly. All of these were regarded as indicators of trouble around the corner.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

51 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

When I was in business one maxim was always to keep a close eye on companies that had a fish tank in the foyer, a flagpole outside the main building or launched a new logo unexpectedly. All of these were regarded as indicators of trouble around the corner.

It was the fountain in the foyer that was always the dead giveaway for me, along with the fish tank. (Seriously!) 

That and the company helicopter.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

I was just going to post a topic on the same thing.  I'm not against a rebrand in principle although I thought we'd stared to get a consistent look and feel with the likes of the below example from Masters, assume they will all now be upgraded.

Im not a massive fan of the new RFL logo, but it's inoffensive enough to do the job and I like the story behind it, I noticed it on the ref shirt for the Toronto game.

But the England logo ..... oh no.  I'm sure they spent a fortune with design agencies on the last one and it was average at best, but after 10 years of developing brand recognition they change it - and let's be honest - it's sh*t.  We haven't even got any games to use it in for the next 9 months.

IMG_3033.PNG

IMG_3034.PNG

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

The new logo isn't too bad. And will work better than previous efforts. Think the type could have been worked into a better looking lock-up, but a minor critique.

The England one on the other doesn't look an improvement at all, which is a bit sad, as the previous logo was decent.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

That's absolutely true and any signposts that listed their other sites.

The new England logo is good. Much better than the predecessor which looked like a badge on fake cheap England football shirt you can buy from tat shops abroad. 

Still given the games challenges I find it surprising a new logo was at the forefront of the board's agenda. 

5 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Still given the games challenges I find it surprising a new logo was at the forefront of the board's agenda. 

You think? A halfway competent designer could have knocked up both of those in a morning without breaking a sweat. Which is exactly why they've done it - *much* quicker and easier than any of the real challenges. 

Add rebrands where the branding is the least of the problems to the list of business indicators.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ho hum, what a bunch of predictable responses.

yes and no - my last post before above was criticising people for knocking Sharp's sponsorship of the HAC match. However, I've only been watching RL since 2013 and even *I* think this is a nonsense....

Just now, iffleyox said:

yes and no - my last post before above was criticising people for knocking Sharp's sponsorship of the HAC match. However, I've only been watching RL since 2013 and even *I* think this is a nonsense....

What is a nonsense about a brand refresh? 

Speaking as someone who is a brand consultant, you wouldn't believe the amount of time we spend having to persuade companies that the answer isn't just or always a new logo. And from a strict business point of view that ought to be counter intuitive for us, because there's money in it. But if you're in the habit of trying to do what's right for your customer rather than what they want to spend their money on, then it pays to be honest.

No one (hopefully) would deny that there are issues and challenges facing RL right? Given that starting point, *why* do a brand refresh? Is it the answer to any of those challenges? Or is it a bit of fiddling around the edges?

The SL one needed to change, because the sponsor has changed. Did the RFL actually need to change it's own, or that of the England team? The England one (IMO) wasn't great, but neither of them were terrible. It's not that it's intrinsically wrong to do it, more that it shows an odd set of priorities. I've got no doubt that they are trying to address all the other problems the game's got (maybe I'm just young and naive), but this is just something that will feel to them like a quick win because it's cheap and visible. Cheap, visible and *necessary* is an entirely different argument - so it comes down to whether it's an improvement. Personally, I don't like the England one and both look like we're basically hitching ourselves to the NRL brand family - which would be lovely if that meant we'd be getting their cash and success, but as it is looks to people who recognise global RFL iconography that the designer was able to take even more shortcuts.

Personal opinion, obviously.

Edited just to add a caveat that my lot don't do sport brands, so this isn't professional jealousy. Who knows what constraints the agency had to work within. 

Quite like the New England logo I always thought the shield was abit tacky tbh.

i don't like how the SL logo changes every time it gets a new sponsor, I preferred to old engage/tetley/JJB logo

Will this new font be used on playing shirts for the names and numbers?

Archived