Small things you're grateful for

A thread for expressing gratitude for the small things in life.  Deliberately not the big things, just those small things that make life easier.

My starter for this thread is WD40.  I've just used it to unstick two radiator valves.

When we moved in here in 2004, the guy we got to review the house's maintenance and problems (not the surveyor who essentially did a tyre-kick of the house) told us we'd have to replace at least a few radiator valves within a couple of years and all within five.  Not one replaced all due to the wonders of WD40, a simple spray lasts about 6-7 years before they gunk again.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

28 minutes ago, Shadow said:

And insulating tape.

Keep the british army operational.

If it moves and shouldn't: Duct tape

If it doesn't move and should: WD40

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Image result for heather small

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

8 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Tea! Couldn't function without the stuff. Loose leaf English breakfast if I've got the time. 

Same here, but my tea of choice is Earl Grey and has been for over 20 years now. No milk, no sugar if you're offering.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

maps are good but the don't do the last couple of 100 yards like a sat nav does.

It's probably an army thing but I pride myself on being able to route-map anywhere I've never been before and get there without having to reference the map again.  Google StreetView is perfect for the smaller roads and being able to pick landmarks 100m (or so) before any turns off the main roads.

3 hours ago, longboard said:

Maps?

Maps take time and effort, and you can't look at them while you're driving if you take a wrong turn. Sat Nav makes it as easy as tapping in a postcode and you're off. Mine also tells me if there's traffic on route or if there are speed cameras. No map can ever do that. Not that I ever speed, obviously!! ;)

I'm not saying Sat Nav is infallible, or that everyone should use it, but for me, it has made my life an awful lot less stressful when I get in the car to go somewhere. and I'd be lost (quite literally) without it now.

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

It's probably an army thing but I pride myself on being able to route-map anywhere I've never been before and get there without having to reference the map again.  Google StreetView is perfect for the smaller roads and being able to pick landmarks 100m (or so) before any turns off the main roads.

Same here. Years ago (pre Google maps) I used to fill in for the delivery driver where I worked doing 50-60 deliveries a day all over the Liverpool/Wirral/North Wales area. That really hones your map reading and driving navigation skills. Not only do you have to work out your way from a to b but from b to c, c to d etc. 

I am very happy to use sat nav these days though. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

13 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Maps take time and effort, and you can't look at them while you're driving if you take a wrong turn. Sat Nav makes it as easy as tapping in a postcode and you're off. Mine also tells me if there's traffic on route or if there are speed cameras. No map can ever do that. Not that I ever speed, obviously!! ;)

I'm not saying Sat Nav is infallible, or that everyone should use it, but for me, it has made my life an awful lot less stressful when I get in the car to go somewhere. and I'd be lost (quite literally) without it now.

Go west Kemohsahbee...

7 hours ago, RidingPie said:

Tea! Couldn't function without the stuff. Loose leaf English breakfast if I've got the time. 

Taylors Yorkshire Tea (leaf) hasn't been available for weeks in my local Bradford Tesco, Co-op, Morrisons and Asda.

:mad:

Crime against humanity.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived