Sheffield Game

jroyales

When the fixtures came out I had this nailed on as a home win, now I aint so sure. Sheffield had major money/player problems that seem to have eased over the last couple of weeks with the signing of Chisholm amongst others, Yere is always a tank as is Mexico, the quality of their squad doesn't look too far off imho. Must have rubbed a magic lamp to be able to afford Chisholm but that's up to them, Lachlan Burr from Leigh is rumoured to be playing on DR for them too to add a splash of ex NRL player quality.

From our point of view, we seem to be a bit better on the injury front and Nobby has said tomorrows team will be different to what has been seen in the pre season games.Hopefully tomorrow we will be approaching a near full strength side. Excited to hopefully see Egodo in action,looks some prospect that lad. Solid start needed and ball retention and set completion needs a big improvement on the pre season matches. Do the basics right and we will go ok.

For what its worth I would go.... (assuming no Dual reg lads) Turner,Clay,Gill,Egodo,Chisholm,Leatherbarrow,Hewitt: Joy,Owen,Neal,Langers,Spencer,Gee. Subs: Ward,Grimshaw,Hughes,Burke.

Tight game I fancy, Oldham win by 8.

Glorious day down here in Stalybridge. They've finished marking out the pitch properly, there's beer in the pumps and we're set fair for our first points of the new season!

(Posts not up yet, though).

Really looking forward to seeing Egodo in an Oldham shirt after watching the videos.

See you all later !

Although Spencer was a deserved MOM, I thought Dickenson made the difference when he came on. Running with pace and power, he got us on the front foot and we never looked back. Honourable mentions too to Egodo, who, I'm sure will become a firm fans favourite, and Langtree. Good first win, with plenty of room for improvement, but better than anything we produced in pre season.

After a bit of a disjointed scrappy first half, the second half was totally different. The lads were playing with more passion and intensity.It's always nice to get a win for the first game of the season. This was a completely different team to the one that played Rochdale. Well done boys.

1 hour ago, clifford said:

Very poor first half performance 

Really?

Ball over the whitewash four times and three (possible / dubious) tries disallowed.???

We were only second best for the first ten minutes, after that there was only going to be one result.

Try to look at life from a "glass half full" perspective, for God's sake. A win against a theoretically highly-rated side after the disappointment of the Law Cup? Negative vibes - just what the club needs right now, there's no pleasing some people.

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT ?????

Reasonable start still things to work on. Either Langers or Hewitt MOM in my view. How did Hewitt take that interception - must surely have been offside from the scrum? Usually those don't come off for us so will take it while we can. Young Egodo did OK they hit him hard and he took it, did something a bit strange kicking on first tackle in our quarter but we can forgive him. Would also rather have Gilly at centre as a bit wasted on wing in my opinion. On the whole pleased with the start

One question though - where's the new Kappa kit? Looks amateur starting the season in last years strip with the wrong names on. We were told would start season in new kit - please tell me Hamilton hasn't fallen out with suppliers already.

COME ON OLDHAM!!!! COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!

58 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Really?

Ball over the whitewash four times and three (possible / dubious) tries disallowed.???

We were only second best for the first ten minutes, after that there was only going to be one result.

Try to look at life from a "glass half full" perspective, for God's sake. A win against a theoretically highly-rated side after the disappointment of the Law Cup? Negative vibes - just what the club needs right now, there's no pleasing some people.

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT ?????

There was lots of mistakes in the first half,  and I wasn't the only one bemoaning the level of execution. The effort and team spirit is there for all to see.  

If we have had a little luck we could have a further try or 2 but I still would have said that the performance was poor 

29 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I was wondering where the new kit was also. It does come across a bit amateurish doesn't it?.

The afternoon in bullet points for those of you who feel the need to pour cold water over everything:-

1) The new kit isn't ready yet. WE WON.

2) The season tickets weren't ready to collect. WE WON.

3) The beer was too warm. The pie was too cold. The concrete on the terracing was too hard. It rained. We had to go to Stalybridge. I didn't like the GSO's hat.....

Ya da, ya da, ya da...

Enjoy your evening.

What would you have been like if we'd lost?

Sheesh! Give me strength.

14 minutes ago, BryanC said:

The afternoon in bullet points for those of you who feel the need to pour cold water over everything:-

1) The new kit isn't ready yet. WE WON.

2) The season tickets weren't ready to collect. WE WON.

3) The beer was too warm. The pie was too cold. The concrete on the terracing was too hard. It rained. We had to go to Stalybridge. I didn't like the GSO's hat.....

Ya da, ya da, ya da...

Enjoy your evening.

What would you have been like if we'd lost?

Sheesh! Give me strength.

Oh, sorry , forgot one. When Hewitt took the ball from the back row of their scrum and raced seventy yards to score, I don't think he saluted the home supporters as enthusiastically as he might when he crossed the line.

Hope you get my point by now...

8 minutes ago, Monkey Lover said:

Kappa failed to deliver it, not Chris Hamiltons fault just to answer the earlier comment too. 

Very embarrassing for us and Chris but unfortunately both of us had expected Kappa to deliver it Thursday. It was cutting it fine but clubs the size of Oldham have to do that in order to maximise sponsorship openings.

Thanks for your honesty Monkey Lover glad to hear it isn't a problem just timing. Kits look good from images.

COME ON OLDHAM!!!! COME ON OLDHAM!!!!!

Archived