The Coach

EQUALIZER

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be interesting to see the odds on the relegation favourites at the mo

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

10 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

It would be interesting to see the odds on the relegation favourites at the mo

What would be interesting about seeing the  blindingly obvious ...... Dewsbury plus 1 will be relegated!! ..... unless something changes now!! .....

What do you think would be the cheapest .... a new coach or a new No 7???   

16 hours ago, marko said:

who ever we get next ,as to be an improvement!

Not necessarily. If you think it can't get any worse thaz not been around long

I see this throw away comment all the time when a team/coach is towin. Recruiting the right coach is essential otherwise all manner of fks up will ensue.

Unless the right coach is brought in to work with already inadequate resources that can use contacts and skills to recruit into and galvanise the existing squad.... it will indeed get worse. I can think of a couple of examples much closer to home marko.

Dews need to act.... but bug ger me.... they need to get it right.

1 hour ago, the old nine ole said:

What would be interesting about seeing the  blindingly obvious ...... Dewsbury plus 1 will be relegated!! ..... unless something changes now!! .....

What do you think would be the cheapest .... a new coach or a new No 7???   

Unless the number 7 was responsible for the 100 + points we've conceded, I can't see that even Thacks would have made much difference, although we might have scored a few more tries. I'm afraid the problem runs a lot deeper than the halfbacks though. Essentially we have most of the same players who have underachieved over the last three seasons - seems every season we lose the best and retain the worst. Maybe the best thing that could happen, would be a year of consolidation in Ch 1, and to build a new team under a new coach, hopefully with the help of the income from the new facilities. I know the more optimistic supporters will not share the general forum view that avoiding the drop will be a huge task, but I can not honestly see where we are going to buy enough wins to avoid it.  I really hope I'm wrong, but I rather think we will be welcoming Oxford and Hemel next year. The last time it happened kicked off a happy season for us - success and increased support. No reason it can't happen again - and I for one will still be there watching.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Problem is any decent talent you unearth will be tempted to your richer neighbours ahem ?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, grumpyoldram said:

Unless the number 7 was responsible for the 100 + points we've conceded, I can't see that even Thacks would have made much difference, although we might have scored a few more tries. I'm afraid the problem runs a lot deeper than the halfbacks though. Essentially we have most of the same players who have underachieved over the last three seasons - seems every season we lose the best and retain the worst. Maybe the best thing that could happen, would be a year of consolidation in Ch 1, and to build a new team under a new coach, hopefully with the help of the income from the new facilities. I know the more optimistic supporters will not share the general forum view that avoiding the drop will be a huge task, but I can not honestly see where we are going to buy enough wins to avoid it.  I really hope I'm wrong, but I rather think we will be welcoming Oxford and Hemel next year. The last time it happened kicked off a happy season for us - success and increased support. No reason it can't happen again - and I for one will still be there watching.

On a sporting level I am forced to agree GOR. However I do hope that you are aware that the club lost £150K+ in that promotion season. How confident are you that the club's owners are prepared to make that sort of sacrifice again? The alternative might be that we end up like Hunslet - no money, crowds or owners.

The players that we have are not inherently bad, and a number of them are pretty good on their day. As individuals, without any coaching, they would produce team performances no worse than those that we have seen so far this season. The skill of a proper coach is to take those raw ingredients and meld them into a team unit that is greater than the sum of its parts, and GM has failed to do that for more than a year now. In other words, we would be no worse off without a coach at all (echoes of the 40's!) but would be massively better off with a new, good, hungry coach in place. The trick is in identifying and recruiting one from obscurity - do we have anyone in our hierarchy with the knowledge and contacts to be able to do that?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Problem is any decent talent you unearth will be tempted to your richer neighbours ahem ?

It's a roller coaster PM, as you well know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

IF we are to have any chance of avoiding relegation, then the Coach has to be changed now...... We won't win our next few games anyway, so surely now is the time to get someone in and make a start in the hope that a strong second half to the season might just save us..... We don't need wholesale changes in playing personnel, not that we could afford it anyway, as we do have some good players -- just not an even half-decent team. My only sympathy for GM is that I can't think of a promising or experienced No:7 who could have turned things around ----- we've been looking since Reynolds went back to Leigh and come up with absolute zip. Andy Kain isn't the answer, but fair play to the guy for going out and giving his best every week............allegedly he came to us in a 'development' role - not with a view to playing every game. 

We could,of course, try and make dual-reg work by borrowing John Kear for a couple of nights a week on the coaching front and beg the services of either Finn or Ackroyd from Wakey.................. More seriously, I would love to see someone like Karl Harrison or Paul Anderson come in and see what they can make of the squad we've got : Don't think it has to be game over just yet, but we can't afford to hang on the way we did with Jowett and Andy Kelly before him.  

I don't know if the coach is the main problem. If the money is tight then any coach will struggle to  get the right squad together. The impression I get from seeing the anihilation yesterday was the lack of creativity in the half-back line, plus the fullback couldn't get into the game. I thought the forwards looked really good but struggled with poor service.

Brilliant travelling support as usual from the Rams, I think they realised they were outplayed by a good side, its a good job star man Ford wasnt playing or it really could have been a cricket score....

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

On a sporting level I am forced to agree GOR. However I do hope that you are aware that the club lost £150K+ in that promotion season. How confident are you that the club's owners are prepared to make that sort of sacrifice again? The alternative might be that we end up like Hunslet - no money, crowds or owners.

The players that we have are not inherently bad, and a number of them are pretty good on their day. As individuals, without any coaching, they would produce team performances no worse than those that we have seen so far this season. The skill of a proper coach is to take those raw ingredients and meld them into a team unit that is greater than the sum of its parts, and GM has failed to do that for more than a year now. In other words, we would be no worse off without a coach at all (echoes of the 40's!) but would be massively better off with a new, good, hungry coach in place. The trick is in identifying and recruiting one from obscurity - do we have anyone in our hierarchy with the knowledge and contacts to be able to do that?

I'll throw the ball back in your court BSJ. At the moment, relegation will not be a choice but a formality, and whether MS chooses to bankroll another season in Ch1 is a question that only he can answer, BUT, given that we apparently can't afford to sack a coach incapable of recognising his own shortocmings, what do you suggest ?

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

8 minutes ago, oiseau said:

I don't know if the coach is the main problem. If the money is tight then any coach will struggle to  get the right squad together. The impression I get from seeing the anihilation yesterday was the lack of creativity in the half-back line, plus the fullback couldn't get into the game. I thought the forwards looked really good but struggled with poor service.

Brilliant travelling support as usual from the Rams, I think they realised they were outplayed by a good side, its a good job star man Ford wasnt playing or it really could have been a cricket score....

Unless you left half an hour early it was. ;)

George Bernard Shaw.

Needed my weekend fix so went to watch the dogs get stuffed by Fev.... The difference a good No7 makes is massive .. I had forgotten what entertainment was ... Thacks absolutely murdered the dogs ... line breaks .. killer passes and tactical kicking!!  50k .. Fev got a bargain!! ....  

Seriously though it was really enjoyable to see free flowing incisive entertaining rugby again!  .. I am Dews forever but the dross we are playing compared to what i saw this afternoon is enough to test anyones loyalty!!   ....

I agree we should creatively employ DR .. getting Kear and Ackroyd!!!  ... probably the only way we will stay up!!  

2 minutes ago, allroughyed said:

I'm curious about a decision by dewsbury yesterday.  Why at the start of the game did they go for 2 points instead of running the ball.  If it's kickable, why is it not runnable? 

Didn't want another nilling to a former championship 1 team

;)

3 hours ago, oiseau said:

Totally disagree with your opening sentence. The coach is the main problem. If he cannot "instil the basics" into the team then the job title "coach" is defunct. That skill is a precursor to all others. Creating a fever pitch momentum before we enter the field, quick play of the ball, forwards who offload, drawing a man, tackling that leaves an impression, pride in the shirt. I could go on. We are only 3 games in with 26 to play before the fat lady sings, it's still early days. The club cannot afford relegation for reasons which are obvious. Mark needs to act now and appoint a new coach. Don't worry about who would replace Glen. There are coaches out there with excellent CV's who would jump at the chance to work with Mark and accept the challenge. Coaches with a far greater depth of experience than the current one. Let's not forget this is our current coach's first job in the professional game.

3 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I'll throw the ball back in your court BSJ. At the moment, relegation will not be a choice but a formality, and whether MS chooses to bankroll another season in Ch1 is a question that only he can answer, BUT, given that we apparently can't afford to sack a coach incapable of recognising his own shortocmings, what do you suggest ?

I thought that I made that clear GOR. The players would perform no worse without a coach at all, so he should go. Now. He has had so many second chances that his continued retention might actually be a negative.

Then take a little time to identify a successor who walks the walk, rather than talks the talk.

Archived