The Coach

EQUALIZER

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I thought that I made that clear GOR. The players would perform no worse without a coach at all, so he should go. Now. He has had so many second chances that his continued retention might actually be a negative.

Then take a little time to identify a successor who walks the walk, rather than talks the talk.

My point remains though - he won't walk and we can't afford to sack him. Best chance is make him director of football on the same wage, but could he take us to court for breach of contract ?

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, grumpyoldram said:

My point remains though - he won't walk and we can't afford to sack him. Best chance is make him director of football on the same wage, but could he take us to court for breach of contract ?

Gardening leave - keep him away from the players but only allow him to take up another post if he resigns.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 hours ago, YOUNG UN said:

Totally disagree with your opening sentence. The coach is the main problem. If he cannot "instil the basics" into the team then the job title "coach" is defunct. That skill is a precursor to all others. Creating a fever pitch momentum before we enter the field, quick play of the ball, forwards who offload, drawing a man, tackling that leaves an impression, pride in the shirt. I could go on. We are only 3 games in with 26 to play before the fat lady sings, it's still early days. The club cannot afford relegation for reasons which are obvious. Mark needs to act now and appoint a new coach. Don't worry about who would replace Glen. There are coaches out there with excellent CV's who would jump at the chance to work with Mark and accept the challenge. Coaches with a far greater depth of experience than the current one. Let's not forget this is our current coach's first job in the professional game.

The ''basics' were present for most of  the first half, certainly the first half an hour. The boys worked hard, pushed forward and looked threatening as they tried to pass the ball around. The interception on the half hour seemed to inspire the French as they settled and took control. The Rams mindset was wrong for me with Sykes kicking the two points when they should have gone for the six. Toulouse were tentative and panicky after last weeks drubbing  so they were let off the hook by taking the penalty points. A more creative half-back pairing like Hedges and Howden for example would have been more productive as they proved in both games for Donny last season.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Gardening leave - keep him away from the players but only allow him to take up another post if he resigns.

He's going nowhere near my garden while his off ;)

It's coming up to bath time next month 

And I wouldn't trust him too run that or organise my ducks into an attacking formation :)

9 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I keep hearing we can't afford to sack him.  Will it cost more than a season or two in League 1?

Average gate down by several hundred?  No Fev, No Doggie Derby, No Hull KR, No Bradford, Halifax????

The question is whether its justified..

4 minutes ago, fredm said:

The way Fev took us apart yesterday I don't think you will be laughing when it's your turn, Coolie.

I don't think we'll be laughing for a long time before then, so come on, don't begrudge us laughing at the Doggies results.  What else have we got???  

37 minutes ago, fredm said:

The way Fev took us apart yesterday I don't think you will be laughing when it's your turn, Coolie.

Nar easy easy

According to our coach

We raise our game against the big teams ;) lol

You've got to laugh 

It's a funny old game :)

I have to say batley fans haven't taken their defeats very well 

Maybe they've further to fall than us :)

Were already at the bottom ;)

And as snow white gently sat upon the face of pinocchio, she softly whispered in the ear of the little wooden boy "tell me morrison has still got the changing room"

And keep telling me till I beg you to stop ;)

Lies only get bigger ;)

2 hours ago, NickD said:

I keep hearing we can't afford to sack him.  Will it cost more than a season or two in League 1?

Average gate down by several hundred?  No Fev, No Doggie Derby, No Hull KR, No Bradford, Halifax????

The question is whether its justified..

When you have no money what do you choose to spend it on?

Tough choice!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, EQUALIZER said:

Depend who you talk to hes still got the dressing room.Till that alters we have to unite.

According to the fans in Toulouse, he doesn't.

Time for us all to move on - where to though, I don't know.

If body language is anything to go by, then the highlights from the game suggest that the players' belief has deserted them.................Last time I saw things so negative was the Swinton cup tie a number of years back, which I think was Andy Kelly's last game in charge. 

1 hour ago, Therein73 said:

If body language is anything to go by, then the highlights from the game suggest that the players' belief has deserted them.................Last time I saw things so negative was the Swinton cup tie a number of years back, which I think was Andy Kelly's last game in charge. 

Was Oldham mate

And we got thumped at home

In fact I think they but 50 on us and we're a division below

But I might be wrong about that fact

Certainly echo's of that season...

Just need to draw sharlston or Wath brow in the cup ;)

History does repeat it's self

For Andy Kelly you can substitute glen, it has all the same hallmarks , a couple of fair seasons, then average recruitment an average season, followed by poor recruitment and a shocking season.

Then we blame injuries, question the clubs ambition, have a pop at the fans ( I think Andy kellys quote that we were all touchline internationals and we should shut up moaning ...  after losing 40 something to nil at Doncaster ) g!en of course wanted to discuss !! things with the fans last Sunday.

As stated nearly all fans like glen, nice guy, but we all seem to think that , as seemed to happen with all RL coaches, his time at Dewsbury is coming its almost inevitable end. RL coaches have a shelf life as players can only get he motivational speech so many time's, then they still listen ut don't, hear or act on it. I think Leeds fans are saying the same as regards there coach.

Yes the issue is money , can we afford to pay him off but really the question to be asked ,as pointed out by many on this forum, can we afford not to

Think we need to have a frank discussion with Mr chester to see what he has to offer us..desperate of a halfback we are and he has a few.. Give the young un's a chance whether small or not,if chester can't help look elsewhere for a link up that benefits us rather than a mediocre super league team.

This is where the harry redknapp, John kear type coaches come into their own

Who's the club's scouts?? 

Who's sniffing the talent out

Disappointing thing for me is glenn was such a great player and you would have thought his connections within the game he would and could have found some diamond somewhere 

Some aspiring young halfback eager to cut his teeth...

But the biggest pis.ser on Coolie list at the moment is

How teams specially leeds are bending over backwards to help Bradford.. This is very worrying because I'm expecting Bradford to over turn their 12 point deduction and stay up sending Dewsbury and Sheffield down..wouldn't be surprised if the RFL are paining for their loan players 

Games screwed up

fubar!!! 

Damien Gibson back in UK?? It all went wrong when Gibbo left.. and Thackeray. Francis Cummins, Karl Harrison, Phil Vievers... just to name afew. Plenty of respected coaches would love the chance to coach Dewsbury and not all would cost as much as you think. If for example we got a coach who wants to be part time... he wouldn't be on no where near the wage Glenn would be on. Just saying. It's clear a change is needed and you lot who think Mark or the club won't get rid are kidding yourselves. He's probably a London defeat from going.... Sunday is probably Glens final chance to get through to these players. As for not turning up, let's all try turn up Sunday. The players owe us a performance!

6 minutes ago, christheram said:

Damien Gibson back in UK?? It all went wrong when Gibbo left.. and Thackeray. Francis Cummins, Karl Harrison, Phil Vievers... just to name afew. Plenty of respected coaches would love the chance to coach Dewsbury and not all would cost as much as you think. If for example we got a coach who wants to be part time... he wouldn't be on no where near the wage Glenn would be on. Just saying. It's clear a change is needed and you lot who think Mark or the club won't get rid are kidding yourselves. He's probably a London defeat from going.... Sunday is probably Glens final chance to get through to these players. As for not turning up, let's all try turn up Sunday. The players owe us a performance!

I totally agree on your last point Chris. We are in a difficult situation and I have no doubt that those in control are doing their utmost to find solutions. All the fans can do is to turn up and support the players wearing the shirt.

(I disagree with your first line, but that may be for another day.)

53 minutes ago, christheram said:

GM is part time and would you like to inform the Forum how much he is paid?

From the list you mentioned one of the few was looking for far more 4 years ago!

I am sure the three would apply for any coaching vacancies as none of them are currently involved in the game apart from giving expert opinions on Radio Leeds. 

Archived