The Coach

EQUALIZER

23 minutes ago, EQUALIZER said:

Get chase on  aweek by week

You might have to dip into your pocket money Mr T to get him on board ?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2017 at 5:31 PM, NickD said:

Cracking post.  The only person who doesn't seem to have known we need a 7 for 18 months is our coach. We could have had sammut but we couldn't afford. Now we will pay the ultimate price.  

That's right, we couldn't afford him. So given that there is no spare cash floating about, what is the answer?

I do feel that there are a few rosy-eyed  comments on here that fail to recognise London's good points. They were extremely well drilled, especially on defence - it isn't only a weak attack that is responsible for not conceding points. This is the result of good coaching (!) and being full-time: the opportunity to practice drills four or five times more than PT sides as well as no distractions from having to earn a living. They were also well organised on attack - nothing flashy but persistent and exploited almost every opportunity that they had. Without the cold, wind and rain the score may have been even more lopsided.

As for us, silk purses and sows' ears come to mind, although the question of who signed the sows' ears might be moot.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I do feel that there are a few rosy-eyed  comments on here that fail to recognise London's good points. They were extremely well drilled, especially on defence - it isn't only a weak attack that is responsible for not conceding points. This is the result of good coaching (!) and being full-time: the opportunity to practice drills four or five times more than PT sides as well as no distractions from having to earn a living. They were also well organised on attack - nothing flashy but persistent and exploited almost every opportunity that they had. Without the cold, wind and rain the score may have been even more lopsided

Not sure about "rosey-eyed"! - Everyone on this forum is painfully aware of our team's limitations, but I think the team deserves some credit for an improvement and trying to impose their game on London, in difficult conditions.

London were defensively sound - which as you say is to be expected of a FT side - but they aren't fully there yet and this is the same side that only just sneeked past our fellow part-timers of Oldham and Swinton, conceding tries. In attack London were also reliant on Sammut's solo skills for 2 of their 3 tries on Sunday.

So, agreed London were that bit stronger across the park - but our effort got us in the game and a bit more quality may have got us closer with the score, although we wouldn't have won. 

35 minutes ago, christheram said:

My dad got told we're signing Kyle Briggs from fev? Not sure if on loan or permanent or just bull? 

I would take that ... but again we really need a number 7 ... firstly we sign a winger .. then we sign a prop ... and if this is true we sign a number 6 !!!  ...... we have a great number 6 ANDY KAIN!!!!!    .... Why don't we sign a number 7 ... its really, really, really frustrating !!  ..... having said all that its probably just bull .. I don't think Briggs has ever played hooker!!!

1 hour ago, christheram said:

My dad got told we're signing Kyle Briggs from fev? Not sure if on loan or permanent or just bull? 

Too expensive 

Money man,proved that last time he bailed on us

Can do the job without doubt

Are we simply bailing out with any bucket rather than the best bucket for the job.

8 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

I would take that ... but again we really need a number 7 ... firstly we sign a winger .. then we sign a prop ... and if this is true we sign a number 6 !!!  ...... we have a great number 6 ANDY KAIN!!!!!    .... Why don't we sign a number 7 ... its really, really, really frustrating !!  ..... having said all that its probably just bull .. I don't think Briggs has ever played hooker!!!

Kains past it. Where's this dream number 7?

28 minutes ago, Wilsden Ram said:

Can we have a list of the No 7's who are available to sign or take on loan?

Whats the point ... nothing happens!   If you check back on my previous posts I said go for Danny Nicklass who was at York and without a club ....  he eventually went to Newcastle and we will see what he is capable of in the cup!!  I also said have a look at Chris Ackroyd .... he rips us to shreds in the friendly against Wakey ... but GM is rumoured to think he is too small!!   ... We have DR with Wakefield who have a number of halves on their books, yet we haven't utilised the options. I am also sure other forum members have made suggestions!   The fact is GM decided not to recruit a half back ... his words at the fans forum ' we haven't recruited a half because we are going to give Glover more time' ....  was that the 10 minutes against Swinton?  

I am not the coach, but if I were I would find a No7 .... one way or another .... because my job and my reputation would depend on it!!!  Thats how winning works!!

44 minutes ago, Wilsden Ram said:

Wakey haven't offered us the option to take a half back.

After several attempts in the last 2 weeks, we have landed one at last.

Why wasn't getting one in the dual reg agreement, as in scratch our back and we'll scratch your... I would have dual regged with Leigh if it ment we got a halfback 

Surely this I would have thought been main objective in any deal that's struck 

Where's bachelor getting his game time at Wakefield... Certainly not in the first team.

2 minutes ago, coolie said:

Why wasn't getting one in the dual reg agreement, as in scratch our back and we'll scratch your... I would have dual regged with Leigh if it ment we got a halfback 

Surely this I would have thought been main objective in any deal that's struck 

Where's bachelor getting his game time at Wakefield... Certainly not in the first team.

It is up to the "senior club" who they offer and who they don't. Oddly enough we can't simply pick our dual reg partner and inform them "It's you - tag!"

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It is up to the "senior club" who they offer and who they don't. Oddly enough we can't simply pick our dual reg partner and inform them "It's you - tag!"

So we don't pick our dual reg team?? 

Is there some kind of draw that I missed?? 

Tonight live on the one show is the draw for the dual registration link ups

Leeds with Featherstone 

Batley with Castleford 

Leigh with Sheffield 

And finally 

Wakefield with Dewsbury 

Chris chester (I was hoping for someone bigger)

Glenn morrison "was hoping for a good super league team"

Interviewer 

"Wakefield are a super league team"

Glenn morrison 

"oh I thought you was talking about me "

;)

Just now, coolie said:

So we don't pick our dual reg team?? 

Is there some kind of draw that I missed?? 

Tonight live on the one show is the draw for the dual registration link ups

Leeds with Featherstone 

Batley with Castleford 

Leigh with Sheffield 

And finally 

Wakefield with Dewsbury 

Chris chester (I was hoping for someone bigger)

Glenn morrison "was hoping good for a super league team"

Interviewer 

"Wakefield are a super league team"

Glenn morrison 

"oh I thought you was talking about me "

;)

Now you are being obtuse for the sake of it. There may be clubs that we would have preferred to DR with, but they may have said "No" - would that surprise you? Wakefield may, or may not, have ended up as our default DR for a host of reasons but, as I have said before, we don't simply choose we want and they must agree.

In many cases there is an empathy or understanding between the coaches or chairmen of the DR clubs. If that is the driver, however, then why Leigh went DR with Sheffield heaven only knows.

7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Now you are being obtuse for the sake of it. There may be clubs that we would have preferred to DR with, but they may have said "No" - would that surprise you? Wakefield may, or may not, have ended up as our default DR for a host of reasons but, as I have said before, we don't simply choose we want and they must agree.

In many cases there is an empathy or understanding between the coaches or chairmen of the DR clubs. If that is the driver, however, then why Leigh went DR with Sheffield heaven only knows.

Lol yeah ya right I am lol

I thought leigh would have been a good team up for us

Mark & Derek have a good working relationship 

Personally I think that would have been a better fit for us

I do apologise mate :)

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Here we are getting all indignant because Wakey have given us the players they want us to have, rather than the ones we need, then hey presto, we send our new half back out on DR to Hemel whether they want him or not. To avoid being labelled a hypocrite  I shall refrain from commenting. ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

1 hour ago, grumpyoldram said:

Here we are getting all indignant because Wakey have given us the players they want us to have, rather than the ones we need, then hey presto, we send our new half back out on DR to Hemel whether they want him or not. To avoid being labelled a hypocrite  I shall refrain from commenting. ;)

Agreed GOR - it all depends which foot the boot is on.

On the other hand I am slightly disturbed to read that Leigh have now gone DR with Whitehaven, as well as Sheffield, so that all of their fringe players can get some game time. Add to that Leeds loaning players out to two clubs as well as DR with Fev and it certainly makes clear who is making up the rules in our sport.

Archived