Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

19 Feb: World Club Challenge: Wigan Warriors v Cronulla Sharks KO 3pm (TV)

Who will win the World Club Challenge?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the World Club Challenge?

• Cronulla Sharks by 13 points or more
    • Cronulla Sharks by 7 to 12 points
    • Cronulla Sharks by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

4 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

"I want to congratulate Wigan on a fantastic performance"

Flanno should have just left it there. I disagree with his analysis of the refereeing much like Sterling and Johns. He didn't need to hark on about the refereeing, even if it was the way he felt.

His finish to that question "Wigan were way too good" was the real issue out there today.

In his interview on 5live he quantified it slightly by adding that they wouldn't have won with 5 refs.

2 from 2. What a difference!

Same stage of Super League, same stage of NRL pre season.

Where has this turnaround come from?

Bateman is pound for pound the hardest player in Super League.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Griff9of13 said:

Oh dear, thats a shame. :D 

Yes, my heart bleeds!:girlblum:

Flanno needed to qualify it and I was disappointed with his answer and the question, to be honest.

• Like 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Yes, my heart bleeds!:girlblum:

Flanno needed to qualify it and I was disappointed with his answer and the question, to be honest.

Couldn't agree more Ox, there question did not need asking. A poor piece of sports journalism more than anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexHaldane said:

2 from 2. What a difference!

Same stage of Super League, same stage of NRL pre season.

Where has this turnaround come from?

Bateman is pound for pound the hardest player in Super League.

Two years ago, we had a couple of extremely close matches in the WCC. Last year's results have skewed a lot of the coverage towards the "we always get completely thumped" line. But, at the start of the 2016 season, Leeds and St Helens couldn't buy a win from anyone.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

What was particularly pleasing was that the Aussie team where the one's spilling the ball/making mistakes from the pressure both physical and mentally in the last 20 mins as distinct from the SL team.

The combative display from Wigan was great with for me Batemen the prime example. Given his size his physicality and toughness is immense

• Like 1

Play like Aussies in defence play like Brits in attack, play like rottweilers in the wrestle.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

24 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I was disappointed with his answer and the question, to be honest.

agreed, the interviewer almost winced as he asked it, flanno prob wouldn't have mentioned it if he hadn't been goaded

I enjoyed the Wire game more than the Wigan one because I prefer Wire's style of play to that of Wigan but it is great to see a 2-0 scoreline in favour of Superleague for once.  Maybe the arrogance of the Aussie teams in not wanting to come over spurred Wire and Wigan on to their respective performances.  It was also nice to see neither ref fawning over the Aussies.  Silverdud used to be the worst at that.  Of course it helps that a number of players in each Superleague side have played against Aussie opposition either by playing in the NRL or by playing in the England team.

Well done to both Wire and Wigan for their victories this weekend.  Let's see whether those victories elicit any response from the Aussies.

Just now, bamfordsbeans said:

Warrington and Wigan already look a cut above the rest of the league.Considering both had 3 or 4 key players missing the others are going to have to step up to compete.

I'm certainly looking forward to the first match between the two in Round 4. 

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Awesome by Wigan. They weren't perfect with the ball in hand but were magnificent in defence and standing up to some pretty awful Sharks tactics. Bateman was utterly brilliant and hats off to Sam Powell as well. Enjoy your evening Wigan folk of this board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

Think Hicks having bit too much of an influence now. 

Sadly I think this is correct.

I wanted Wigan to win but when that Sharks try was disallowed for the ball possibly touching the whitewash I must admit to thinking "Cronulla will now have just cause to complain about the officials".

It was a perfectly good try, the point of the ball had to hit the ground before any other part touched the line, of that there can be no doubt.

2 - 0 is a great result for us over here but I'd rather it had been achieved without the slightest hint of controversy.

Still, well done to both Wire and the Pies, and while I wonder about the English refereeing, my mind goes back to Ashley Klein allowing Willie Mason carte blanche in assaulting Fielden, Long and plenty more a few years back.

• Like 1

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

6 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Sadly I think this is correct.

I wanted Wigan to win but when that Sharks try was disallowed for the ball possibly touching the whitewash I must admit to thinking "Cronulla will now have just cause to complain about the officials".

It was a perfectly good try, the point of the ball had to hit the ground before any other part touched the line, of that there can be no doubt.

2 - 0 is a great result for us over here but I'd rather it had been achieved without the slightest hint of controversy.

Still, well done to both Wire and the Pies, and while I wonder about the English refereeing, my mind goes back to Ashley Klein allowing Willie Mason carte blanche in assaulting Fielden, Long and plenty more a few years back.

I agree that that was a try, and if Hicks hadn't sent it upstairs as "no try", it would probably have been given.

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I agree that that was a try, and if Hicks hadn't sent it upstairs as "no try", it would probably have been given.

Maybe we should just call it evens for the Hall try that wasn't given by an Aussie ref.

Loved both games, edge of the seat stuff and I'll take any kind of win against Australian opposition, need the week at work to recover now!

• Like 4

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

And Ganson sending Morley off in the first tackle of the first test all those years ago.

Correct decision,  but you have to wonder if he would have done the same for an Aussie.   I've seen them get away with similar stuff and not be sent off.

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Just watched the game and Wigan were brilliant, superior in every department. Agree with the comments about Bateman, he's one tough little ###### ! Gutted about Burgess' last try, cost me a small fortune as I backed Wigan to win by between 7 and 12 points !

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Flanagan in the press conference: Great playing in front of fans who are passionate about Rugby League...we'd come over here every year.

We got to see two different styles of Rugby this weekend, and Super League came out top in both. Happy days.

Well done to both teams, best entertainment on the planet.

I don't normally watch the on field interviews but stayed expecting some industrial strength whinging and was not disappointed. 

At least he had the decency to pull back a bit later 

• Like 1