Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

19 Feb: World Club Challenge: Wigan Warriors v Cronulla Sharks KO 3pm (TV)

Who will win the World Club Challenge?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the World Club Challenge?

• Cronulla Sharks by 13 points or more
    • Cronulla Sharks by 7 to 12 points
    • Cronulla Sharks by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

Ahh what a great day today is the look on gallens face after a loss always makes my day! Never doubted Wigan would win this one & well done SL the WCC has life again.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Allora said:

I will be expecting to see your comments here during the game Rabbits.

Its on at the convenient time of 1:30am Monday morning downunder, as a retired man, I am sure you will be flying the Wigan Flag.

I hope the Sharks can make a decent game of it.

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

What a peculiar comment in light the Sharks crowd averages were above 14,500 last year which was more than the bunnies could muster up in the same season...

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

9 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Ahh what a great day today is the look on gallens face after a loss always makes my day! Never doubted Wigan would win this one & well done SL the WCC has life again.

Yes I found that quite funny too.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Just a thought, but why were Messrs Wood and Barwick the trophy-and-medal-giving party?  Nothing personal against them, but surely somebody of note from outside the mainstream of the game should have been invited to do this!  What a missed opportunity, even, perhaps, for HRH Prince Harry.  Wood could have whispered in his shell-like near the end, "I am being told, your highness, that John Bateman has carried x times for y yards and made z tackles.  How would that compare, sir, with a top rugby union player, out of interest?"

How long have you been watching RL? You've far too much common sense...

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

You must admit Cronulla had 2 good tries chalked off for nothing?

Actually no the Cronulla player was offside , the one who challenged for the ball , the other one was 50/50 

• Like 1

I'm waiting with baited breath to hear what Jamie Soward makes of these two games ;).

• Like 4

Almost inevitably...

C5D2ugWXUAI2SG3.jpg

• Like 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Maybe we should just call it evens for the Hall try that wasn't given by an Aussie ref.

Loved both games, edge of the seat stuff and I'll take any kind of win against Australian opposition, need the week at work to recover now!

That is way too generous!

Hall would have knocked the Audries out of the 4 Nations & given England a real shot at the title.

ToToday was the correct call under the no try rule.

The disallowed try for moving within the 10 from an offside position was a terrible use of a technicality to chalk off a try that couldn't have been prevented.

2 minutes ago, AlexHaldane said:

That is way too generous!

Hall would have knocked the Audries out of the 4 Nations & given England a real shot at the title.

ToToday was the correct call under the no try rule.

The disallowed try for moving within the 10 from an offside position was a terrible use of a technicality to chalk off a try that couldn't have been prevented.

The player player that made the challenge was offside as well , no try 

The other was 50/50 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The player player that made the challenge was offside as well , no try 

The other was 50/50 

The Sharks number 2 was offside at the kick and encroached the 10m it's a penalty. Whether he gets involved in the play or not. 

Really really pleased that Wigan won and what a great performance from one to 17, but please stop harping on about that Hall no try, I have never been a supporter of Steveos first call of "his little pinkie is in contact" the rule is downward pressure, and it should be seen that way, Hall's decision was correct, Burgess today was incorrect, no try.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

13 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Really really pleased that Wigan won and what a great performance from one to 17, but please stop harping on about that Hall no try, I have never been a supporter of Steveos first call of "his little pinkie is in contact" the rule is downward pressure, and it should be seen that way, Hall's decision was correct, Burgess today was incorrect, no try.

Downward pressure is a very loose term it could mean a finger on the ball or a hand it's really where you draw the line. Quite clearly the way these have been judged for the last ten years the slightest pressure is sufficient. Meaning both Burgess and Halls efforts where try's under current interpretations. 

6 hours ago, Copa said:

It's great to see Cronulla lose anything 

Haha they've only won one thing in fifty years, you must've been suicidal on grand final night

Well done Wigan. Played a good game throughout. Congratulations on a deserved win.

The Sharks failed to convert the opportunities they'd created not only because of their mistakes at inopportune times but also because of Wigan's very good defense. Disappointed with the loss, these opportunities don't come around too often.

Edited by Vichyssoise

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

8 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Downward pressure is a very loose term it could mean a finger on the ball or a hand it's really where you draw the line. Quite clearly the way these have been judged for the last ten years the slightest pressure is sufficient. Meaning both Burgess and Halls efforts where try's under current interpretations. 

OK fair enough I accept that Bob, I think we're this becomes a bone of contention and could make or break some teams season (or world cup) is the inconsistency, not nessacarily the video adjudicator's ruling,  but the mere fact if games are televised or not, naked eye judgements are not the same as zooming, slow mo camera's, could we revert to just the on field officials interpretation? 

The fact that you are calling both Hall's and Burgess efforts tries, is not agreeing with the scores on the boards, the inconsistency is still there with the cameras in attendance

Edited by GaryO

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Wigan deserved that win. Overall I thought Cronulla were the better team as they dominated for long periods, but the main difference was Wigan were far more clinical. They had very few chances but took nearly all of them where as Crounulla didn't. Makes a change for any British team to get the rub of the green with the officials as well. I get the disallowed Lewis try as technically the winger was inside the 10m (though its a stupid rule as he took no active part in the play), but the other disallowed try was just plain wrong. The side of the ball touched the line but the tip of the ball didn't so its physically impossible for the tip not to have touched the ground first in the in-goal area before the side touched the white line. But hey, we've had plenty of decisions like this go against us in the past to favour the Aussies & Kiwi's so its nice to get one back (though it does now worry me that England will be on the end of a wrong call like this in the WC later this year just so the Aussies can even things up again)

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Wigan deserved that win. Overall I thought Cronulla were the better team as they dominated for long periods, but the main difference was Wigan were far more clinical. They had very few chances but took nearly all of them where as Crounulla didn't. Makes a change for any British team to get the rub of the green with the officials as well. I get the disallowed Lewis try as technically the winger was inside the 10m (though its a stupid rule as he took no active part in the play), but the other disallowed try was just plain wrong. The side of the ball touched the line but the tip of the ball didn't so its physically impossible for the tip not to have touched the ground first in the in-goal area before the side touched the white line. But hey, we've had plenty of decisions like this go against us in the past to favour the Aussies & Kiwi's so its nice to get one back (though it does now worry me that England will be on the end of a wrong call like this in the WC later this year just so the Aussies can even things up again)

Really? My son was working and when he asked how Wigan had played, I said they'd "suffocated" Cronulla. Cronulla had some better spells but I don't think Wigan looked remotely out of control apart from the self imposed bits of pressure, such as when Williams knocked on from the kickoff. 

It wasn't a great spectacle because it was so dominated by the tackling and control from both sides, but Wigan definitely had the better of it.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

18 minutes ago, GaryO said:

OK fair enough I accept that Bob, I think we're this becomes a bone of contention and could make or break some teams season (or world cup) is the inconsistency, not nessacarily the video adjudicator's ruling,  but the mere fact if games are televised or not, naked eye judgements are not the same as zooming, slow mo camera's, could we revert to just the on field officials interpretation? 

The fact that you are calling both Hall's and Burgess efforts tries, is not agreeing with the scores on the boards, the inconsistency is still there with the cameras in attendance

There will be perceived inconsistencies whether between TV games and non TV games. Even one ref or another as no two decisions are the same. Basically we get a hand full of decisions each year which actually could go either way and neither be particularly wrong or right. If you binned the VR ref these borderline decisions wouldn't just disappear. 

Just now, The 4 of Us said:

Really? My son was working and when he asked how Wigan had played, I said they'd "suffocated" Cronulla. Cronulla had some better spells but I don't think Wigan looked remotely out of control apart from the self imposed bits of pressure, such as when Williams knocked on from the kickoff. 

It wasn't a great spectacle because it was so dominated by the tackling and control from both sides, but Wigan definitely had the better of it.

Very impressed by Wigans defence especially in their own 20.  They very rarely looked under threat. 

10 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I get the disallowed Lewis try as technically the winger was inside the 10m (though its a stupid rule as he took no active part in the play)

As a fullback you have no idea which players are onside or offside. You may not be able to see them but you can hear and feel players running towards you. If you allow offside players in the 10 they have an impact whether they are involved in the play or not. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

There will be perceived inconsistencies whether between TV games and non TV games. Even one ref or another as no two decisions are the same. Basically we get a hand full of decisions each year which actually could go either way and neither be particularly wrong or right. If you binned the VR ref these borderline decisions wouldn't just disappear. 

Of course they wouldn't dissappear, but it would be equally wrong (if that makes sense) if we either had all Video rulings or none at all. One or the other.

37 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

This is very similar to the discussion I am having with Bobbruce, I agree with you regarding the physics of the ball and saying the pointy bit has to touch the ground (in play) before it compresses or ever so slightly rolled on to the line.

But, without the advantage of the cameras, the ball is in contact with the line every time, the point I am trying to make is do we really need all this scrutiny for some games that are televised, Bob says we get a handful of decisions each year, we have had two contentious ones in this one game!

Edited by GaryO

I haven't seen either game, I was visiting my grandchildren in Salisbury this weekend, so missed the Warrington game entirely, and listened to the Wigan game on 5Live Extra.  Great results all round.  The British clubs seem to have recovered their ability to withstand pressure.  Congratulations to both teams. 

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, GaryO said:

This is very similar to the discussion I am having with Bobbruce, I agree with you regarding the physics of the ball and saying the pointy bit has to touch the ground (in play) before it compresses or ever so slightly rolled on to the line.

But, without the advantage of the cameras, the ball is in contact with the line every time, the point I am trying to make is do we really need all this scrutiny for some games that are televised, Bob says we get a handful of decisions each year, we have had two in this one game!

There was a similar incident in the England France Union game.  The French player clearly had a finger on the ball and it was over the line, but the TV ref didn't allow the score. I thought their rules on this were the same as ours.  On the other hand I recall an incident live on TV years ago when Dessie Drummond and the ball were both over the line at the same time, but never in contact with one another. The ref, clearly unsighted awarded the try.  We surely don't want a return to those days.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.