Todays Attendance

roughyed34

The 558 inside Bower Fold today against London provided the best atmosphere in there for a while, the Sheffield crowd was 668 so we lost 110 people from todays attendance. That's dire, London brought maybe 30,Sheffield around 50 where the hell were all the Oldham fans today (roughly a drop of 90/100 home fans)?? Our attendances should be rising not falling with the way we are playing, many people claim to support this club but it seems like no matter what we do as a club the fans stay away. This team and club deserve at least a 1000 home fans every home game. Why are the attendances so poor? The passion from the fans and the players was second to none today, what else can the club do to increase attendances, its not exactly the dearest club in the league to support. Anybody have any reasons why we don't get at least a 1000 per game, looking at FB and other social media everyone wants to comment but doesn't actually go. These lads deserve better.

What can the club do to increase crowds? We have a great side in a lovely stadium,cheap (ish) prices compared to other teams/sports.

Support this club or we are in danger of losing it eventually because of apathy towards not playing in Oldham etc. The fact is like it or not we have a superb Oldham side playing not that far out of Oldham.those that stay away are missing some of the best RL we have played in a long time.

Every person who claims to love this club should make every effort to get to Bower Fold for the Dewsbury game, if 500 odd Oldham fans can create an atmosphere like today imagine what it could be with 1000 Oldham fans roaring this side on.

Dont get it at all. The rugby we are playing is the best standard we have played for around 15 years. We have the best squad we have had for a long time with a fabulous attitude giving everything they have every game. Why wouldn't you go?

Even the away support is terrible, we used to take a  few hundred every game and now its down to the same 20 to 30 who go to every game.

I must admit I'm not sure what the club can do. Is there appetite to watch rl in Oldham anymore? 

We always had a reputation for having a big following home and away. 500 is terrible, should generate at least 1000. 

We have OCR bigging us up all week and Tameside radio did a piece on us in the middle of their non league show.

Even if we did return to a ground in Oldham would we magically see a spike in attendances? I'm not sure..

Between 400 to 500 at Waterhead v St Annes on Saturday played on the hill in rugby country.Apart from a few Oldham supporters,the likes of Kevin and his friends not many will attend both games sad but that's the way things are,too many live games on tv, watch at home or in the pub in comfort

I am a Swinton Lions fan and we know how you feel attendances wise as our paths have unfortunately been very similar,and the attendance figures are similar with us both.I know when we call at BF we will I think bring a few hundred fans along which will help you.The only thing both clubs can really do is keep plugging away and probably given time as I think the grounds where we both respectively play at will be our homes for a long time,possibly permanent.We both have to make the best of frankly a situation.

You can gauge it.Less cars on the main road coming in and the half time turn around where ends are swapped was quick.

The UTD match and the Wigan game will have had some effect .Londons away support would not have helped.

TBH we have lost fans in the nomadic years and once out of the habit you struggle to get them back.

The changes in the Oldham population don't help,the type of person that would attend an RL match just aint there in The numbers it used to be.

As it is now all we can do is keep at it.Turn these good performances into results.We should be hitting the 700 mark with the m62 corridor teams.

We get into the upper half of the table and a few more punters start turning up.We may nick a few from the rugby side of Oldham ,tameside,it does not matter.Word will spread.We have a much better social media set up now.The chrons role is mimimal these days.That said Hornets got a write up in the mirror yesterday.

Todays attendance was disappointing to say the least.I agree with Andy Kenny that the club will have lost support during the nomadic years,it could be difficult to get them back.I am of the opinion that we are not alone,not by a long shot. I think the game in general is on the slide.The population of Oldham may not be as rugby orientated as they used to be.It may be that the loss of  sheddings may have done irreparable damage to the game in Oldham. Whatever it is it's a shame considering the quality of the game on display. I just hope it will pick up,after all its not going to brake the bank if people just attend the home games.Rugby league must be the best value sport to follow there is.If only people would give it a go.

31 minutes ago, andykenny said:

TBH we have lost fans in the nomadic years and once out of the habit you struggle to get them back.

I'm a returned fan and I've not hidden behind that fact on here.  I didn't stay away deliberately, I just moved away, played weekend sport myself and got out of the habit.  Living in Leeds I'd look at fixtures and think that if Oldham were playing somewhere near like Hunslet, I'd go for a look-see.  I always seemed to miss the fixtures though.

What turned things for me was making a decision to go to a game and then actually doing it.  I turned up not knowing a single player and within one half of rugby, whatever part of my brain used to enjoy watching the game completely switched back on.  Why the heck had I not done this sooner. 

There must be a lot of people, Oldhamers, who just need a nudge.  I find myself getting way too emotional when I see those red and white hoops on the field of play and when the team is busting a gut for us, I am so proud of being a Roughyed, a man from a Lancashire cotton-mill town.

So what can we, regular Joe fans, do to improve the attendance figures?  Nudge your mates I reckon.   If every fan today put in a small effort and persuaded a mate to come along we'd double the attendance.  You see "Bring a Mate" social media posts all a time but maybe that's a thing we should try.  One person.  Ring your cousin, bring your Dad, Mum, Sister, Son, Daughter, work mate, neighbour, drinking pal.  It doesn't matter, just bring someone.

I am enjoying watching this bunch of players wearing our famous colours as much as I did the teams of yesteryear.  We may not be in Super League but to me that's irrelevant.  I like my sport honest, honourable and passionate.  We're getting that in spades.     

Spot on Mr Naylor.I'm also a returning fan,I've now been a season ticket holder for 6 or 7 years now and love every game together with my son.I fell out of love with rugby league altogether when we lost  sheddings but eventually returned and I've no intentions on looking back now.Me and my son love it and we'd shout it from the rooftops.

I'm same as both the above, was at a loose end one Sunday during 2015 season and decided to take in a game again after not going for years. Ever since I've been hooked and held a season ticket and as soon as my son is old enough he will be there every home game as well. The missus doesn't mind the occasional game but trying to get a mate to come there's no chance, no interest in rugby league no matter how much I try and sell it to them, they would rather watch the football on sky instead.

Whilst I agree with many of the reasons expressed for the loss of fans in recent years, what does concern me, is the lack of support from those in the Oldham area who do have a rugby background. Some of those I am referring to, are those involved with the local amateur clubs - the juniors and their parents, some of whom are obviously have changed their allegiance to the likes of Leeds, Huddersfield, Wigan in recent times. Neither have the 'big named', Oldham born ex-players, done anything to promote the town team in recent times.

The sense of connection and pride with the town team may have been unfortunately lost whilst we floundered in Championship 1, but now we are back in the Championship, where the rugby is of a much higher standard and as many fans have expressed, better than Super League, we need to entice more of those rugby folk back into the 'fold'. At a time when the use of social media seems to change the world overnight, surely that's not impossible, so let's DO IT!

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

Whilst I agree with many of the reasons expressed for the loss of fans in recent years, what does concern me, is the lack of support from those in the Oldham area who do have a rugby background. Some of those I am referring to, are those involved with the local amateur clubs - the juniors and their parents, some of whom are obviously have changed their allegiance to the likes of Leeds, Huddersfield, Wigan in recent times. Neither have the 'big named', Oldham born ex-players, done anything to promote the town team in recent times.

The sense of connection and pride with the town team may have been unfortunately lost whilst we floundered in Championship 1, but now we are back in the Championship, where the rugby is of a much higher standard and as many fans have expressed, better than Super League, we need to entice more of those rugby folk back into the 'fold'. At a time when the use of social media seems to change the world overnight, surely that's not impossible, so let's DO IT!

Sums up the position perfectly we  need to engage people with the excellent product that is Oldham 

I've pondered long and hard on the issue. It's a real worry. We have a truly great product but getting that across to new supporters is very much an up hill struggle. As far as Hornets are concerned it's the lack of the up and coming generation that's the big issue. When I look around the stands most of the spectators are 40 plus. 

Most clubs are doing their best to attract new blood but without a massive amount of success. In Oldham's case the moving around won't have helped and I know from personal experience that once people give the game a miss they soon find other things to do. Attracting those people back is almost as hard as gaining new spectators.

I wish I had an answer to the problem but I haven't. Long term I fear the worst for our great game at the levels below Super League.

Everything that has been said is true. I feel all of the local amateur clubs should be really targeted to get them to BF this in addition to the giving out of lots of free tickets to all of the schools in Oldham and Ashton. To extend this idea why not put some free coaches on so as to make it easier for them to get there.

Just saying the same things over and over again isn't going to get more people in. There is a need for a group to meet up with CH and sponsors to brainstorm a solution.

Lots of good suggestions on here - but to me, Logic hits the nail on the head : loss of 'sense of connection and pride with the town team'. There are still lots of RL people in the town, so the question is what can the club do to attract lots more of them to become committed again to the town's pro club.  The talking shop that was successfully agitated for by people on this forum 18 months ago got nowhere, so something much more significant is surely needed. How about an extension of the club's board, initiated by Mr Hamilton, to include representation from supporters, the amateur and youth games in the town, and the past players? Local commerce and the local authority could perhaps also have representation at a later stage. The current owner has repeatedly claimed he is open to 'new investment', but past experience clearly suggests he is not going to get it - so he/the club need to go in a different direction if the current unhappy situation - concerning the attendances and lots of other things too - is to have any chance of being turned round.

jroyales absolutely true what you say,but their is no connection between the amateur game and Oldham roughyeads anymore.The three national conference teams are thriving at youth level in Oldham ,go along to anyone of them on Sunday morning and see the people who have played for Oldham in the past they still live and love the game .They coach the kids ,give their time for free and it probably costs them money overall.Tickets should be given out to the team coaches and local clubs every home game but because there is very little  thought put into selling the club its not going to happen .

Connections with the real rugby people in town? 

With former players from Watersheddings days?

In order to feed a certain ego the club is actively celebrating a 20th anniversary as if the previous 100 plus years didn't exists.

Part of the problem maybe?

This club is built on sand.

8 hours ago, herbie said:

Connections with the real rugby people in town? 

With former players from Watersheddings days?

In order to feed a certain ego the club is actively celebrating a 20th anniversary as if the previous 100 plus years didn't exists.

Part of the problem maybe?

This club is built on sand.

This club replaced the previous club which ceased trading in 97 at the end of the super league season therefore Oldham rlfc 1997 is entitled to celebrate the first 20 years. 

Michael Turner's book covered the full history of the previous club which included a full breakdown of every game. 

I am not criticising just noting the difference between the two clubs

For a start, how about getting a copy of the Oldham Chronicle tonight, which is to include a team poster. Put it up at work and in pubs, show it to the family and neighbours to remind them of the presence of Oldham RLFC and then tell them how good the rugby is in the Championship and how proud you are of your team. :smile:

Archived