Football Oddities

37 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

It appears that the Isles of Scilly is the smallest football league, of any footy code, in the World.

Are there any others that come close?

I read that in addition to the two-team league the same two teams also contest two (three?) cups, one of which is played over two legs.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

It appears that the Isles of Scilly is the smallest football league, of any footy code, in the World.

Are there any others that come close?

Right. It appears that island of Alderney has such a low population that it can manage a whole ONE football team and they have to go off and play in Guernsey's seven-team league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I read that in addition to the two-team league the same two teams also contest two (three?) cups, one of which is played over two legs.

That's right. In the league, they play each other 17 times, then if that wasn't enough, they compete in two cup competitions. 

The teams are:

Woolpack Wanderers  and  Garrison Gunners.

As to your second question, how far is Alderney from St Mary's? It's quite a distance for amateur teams.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

The Singaporean top flight has had teams from Australia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Brunei in the past. Plus one that only had French heritage players and one that had African. Real mixed pot in there... Some say the World Cup used to run all year in Singapore!

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

On 20/02/2017 at 11:51 PM, Ash Hope said:

The Singaporean top flight has had teams from Australia, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Brunei in the past. Plus one that only had French heritage players and one that had African. Real mixed pot in there... Some say the World Cup used to run all year in Singapore!

Well that's news to me Ash. When did that situation occur?

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

I once did a Football Manager save in Singapore. Stayed for over a decade and dominated. Hence why I know this I'm not some saddo.

If I'm not mistaken. Here goes.

Perth played in the 1990s in the Singapore Premier League for one season, so did another Aussie team. Perth won the league and the other team finished second. Then financial problems saw them disbanded.

Brunei DPMM who are actually managed by Steve Kean play in the S-League currently, believe they started around 2008/2009 somat like that.

Similarly, there's a team Albirex who played in it who are Japanese. Not sure when they did though.

The Malaysia link is time-old. Sinagaporean teams played in the Malaysia Cup for a while and recently as 2015 there was a Malaysian team in the S-League.

Then there's been what they called I think "Satellite Teams" in the top flight, there the ones that only had certain heritage players. And then China and South Korea have had them. As I understand they're basically feeder clubs for Chinese Super League teams and teams from other countries. They don't exist anymore though.

Also I know that you couldn't represent Singapore in the Asian Champions League unless you were in mainland Singapore. This all came from me winning the league with Brunei DPMM and not getting through to Champs League. Thought it was an FM bug so I dug deeper.

And Steve Kean was the reason I went there! Jokes.

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

Archived