Cycling Season 2017

Whatever happened to Robert Millar?

Oh...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Froome lost the yellow jersey yesterday.  I still think that he has it in the bag with the last TT but it adds a new spice to the race.  And that after it looked like sky had raced the perfect stage, I was just thinking how impressive yet predictable it was.  Not any more hpoefully.

• 1 month later...

Anyone bee watching la Vuelta?  Thoughts of Froome geeting red and yellow jerseys in one season?

Probably makes him the most successful British GC cyclist and he still has many years to come.  Why is it that people dont seem to like him? He seems a decent chap, always willing to praise his team and give compliments to other riders who pus him to his limits... yet he doesn't seem to get the plaudits other cyclists get.

Anyone be watching the Tour of Britain? It didn't come through our patch (North Wales) this year so I've not seen it live but followed it on TV. Some big crowds again out watching, great to see the sport getting such huge support.

43 minutes ago, gogledd said:

Anyone bee watching la Vuelta?  Thoughts of Froome geeting red and yellow jerseys in one season?

Probably makes him the most successful British GC cyclist and he still has many years to come.  Why is it that people dont seem to like him? He seems a decent chap, always willing to praise his team and give compliments to other riders who pus him to his limits... yet he doesn't seem to get the plaudits other cyclists get.

Anyone be watching the Tour of Britain? It didn't come through our patch (North Wales) this year so I've not seen it live but followed it on TV. Some big crowds again out watching, great to see the sport getting such huge support.

Froome comes across as introverted and private, which means we don't see his personality in the same way that we would with, say, Cavendish or Hoy.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Froome comes across as introverted and private, which means we don't see his personality in the same way that we would with, say, Cavendish or Hoy.

But always seems the perfect gent ... and a good sportsman too. It always baffles me why people seem to dislike him.

43 minutes ago, gogledd said:

But always seems the perfect gent ... and a good sportsman too. It always baffles me why people seem to dislike him.

It seems that. to a lot of people, the whole point of following a sport is to relentlessly hate a person or team for reasons that are either indescribably petty or completely imaginary.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2017 at 11:03 AM, gogledd said:

Outstanding achievement by Froome. I thought the days of a rider winning two Grand Tours in a year were over. Puts him up there with some of the all time greats.

We made the short hop across the Humber to sunny Scunny for the North Lincs. stage of the Tour of Britain. Really enjoyed it. There was a great atmosphere (the wind must have been in the right direction from the steelworks) and a very good turnout. Very impressed with the quality of the riders involved too. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• 9 months later...

Archived