24 Feb: SL: Widnes Vikings v Wigan Warriors KO 8pm

Ordinarily, possibly the best time to play Wigan (possible hang over from the WCC) but our half back woes continue to get worse as Tom Gilmore is now out. Betts is finally going to give poor Danny Craven a go (he must be 3-4th choice ATM but finally gets a shot as Betts has no other option!) - who partners him will be out of place (Bridge/White/Heremaia) so it will no doubt be another long, hard evening for us I fear :(

Game Postponed till Sunday due to the pitch. Statement reads (only saw part) that they want to preserve it for Latics important game this week

Needs must. Doesn't help Widnes preparations before Catalans next week

edit - Sky just confirmed not arranged for Sunday after all just postponed. May be a blessing in disguise after all ?

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Game Postponed till Sunday due to the pitch. Statement reads (only saw part) that they want to preserve it for Latics important game this week

Needs must. Doesn't help Widnes preparations before Catalans next week

edit - Sky just confirmed not arranged for Sunday after all just postponed. May be a blessing in disguise after all ?

Blessing in disguise, who for?

Adverse weather conditions my r'se Warrington still on and nearer still Leigh still on.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

10 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Adverse weather conditions my r'se Warrington still on and nearer still Leigh still on.

Both of those stadiums were build by people who planned, rather than building the place on a swamp and wonder why water doesn't drain off the pitch.

Update, Leneghan says the football game is more important than the Rugby game, he and the Latins chairman have absolutely taken the right decision in postponing the Rugby game.

RL should fine them for not full filling their fixtures, it is Leneghan choice by his own admission

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

15 minutes ago, GaryO said:

For Widnes. Still got a lot of players out injured ?

Saying that.  Don't know when the fixture will be played unless both clubs get knocked out of cup early doors. 

Widnes have released a statement saying they were not involved in any discussions about the postponement. Which is a little disapponting.  I would have thought all avenues would have been explored to avoid fixture congestion in other weeks of the season. Reversing he fixture may have been an option to keep it being played this weekend

2 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

Both of those stadiums were build by people who planned, rather than building the place on a swamp and wonder why water doesn't drain off the pitch.

C'mon Andy, how long has the DW been open 15years, being the home in that time of the Leading Rugby League club in the country, and a Premiership Football team and your telling me they can't sort out the drainage, lame excuse.

8 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

The game is in a right state if the "world champions" of one sport have to give way to a team like Wigan Athletic.

I could understand it if the game had been tonight,but tomorrow the forecast is good.

Nope

Capture.JPG

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, GaryO said:

No excuse Padge, if you've heard Leneghan's take by BrIan Carney it's clearly contrived.

What's contrived and how and why?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

What's contrived and how and why?

Have Wigan obtained permission from the RFL to postpone the fixture? That was not mentioned in the report, and Leneghan agrees that the football game is more important, so it is absolutely the correct decision to postpone the Rugby game, that sounds that there is some underlying reason not to play it, if it could have been cancelled so quickly surely the fixture could have been reversed, or tried to have been, again no mention that it was.

Just now, GaryO said:

Have Wigan obtained permission from the RFL to postpone the fixture? That was not mentioned in the report, and Leneghan agrees that the football game is more important, so it is absolutely the correct decision to postpone the Rugby game, that sounds that there is some underlying reason not to play it, if it could have been cancelled so quickly surely the fixture could have been reversed, or tried to have been, again no mention that it was.

Better called off now rather than tomorrow night.

34 minutes ago, GaryO said:

C'mon Andy, how long has the DW been open 15years, being the home in that time of the Leading Rugby League club in the country, and a Premiership Football team and your telling me they can't sort out the drainage, lame excuse.

They can, I'm sure, sort out the drainage, but the fact remains that they haven't. Hence why it looks like a bog come new season time every year and they dig it up every year after the football season finishes. I'm not saying this is the reason, as clearly we have caved to the football, them being the landlords and all but given it's put some down (I assume, I don't live in Wigan anymore) and they have a supposed big game on Saturday they don't want the rugby tearing up the pitch.

What's the most annoying is surely something could have been arranged to play the reverse fixture this week? Might not get as many through the gate but it just means Wigan/Widnes will have another weekend with 2 fixtures really close together.

Archived