Referee this week;

Pedro

You don't really believe a referee has favourites do you?  While I can accept that all referees can (and do) make mistakes (just like the players and coaches)  - and some make more than others (just like players and coaches) - your suggestion that they have favourites undermines the credibility of the competition.

It would be good if there was a bit more competition among referees so that those who under perform could be replaced but my understanding is that there is a shortage of qualified referees. If we believe that the standard of refereeing is too low we need to find solutions to that problem - afraid i dont know what they are - but implying or accusing them of having favourites is unlikely to solve the problem.

Generally the games we win are the result of us being the better team and the games we lose  generally the opposition are the better team.  With the benefit of hindsight and setting aside emotions I cannot recall a game 'won' by a referee.

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

We have Gareth Hewer this week. He can't be any worse than C Straw who is refereeing ??  Hull KR v Sheffield. I wonder who will be his favourites.

Oh give it a rest, please! Funny how this ref has got the biggest club in the league this week, seeing as his performance was so under par at spotland! Yes, he made mistakes, but for both sides. Sounds like you're still sore after the beating you took...

We have Mr Campbell this week. 

A ref having a bad game is usually bad for both teams but Sundays ref against Halifax was the most one-sided performance i have ever seenin 53 years of watching and playing rugby. The only thing i can compare it to is in several amateur games ive played in or watchef is when one team upsets the ref and he then gives them nothing, perhaps this ref is from the amateur game.

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

You don't really believe a referee has favourites do you?  While I can accept that all referees can (and do) make mistakes (just like the players and coaches)  - and some make more than others (just like players and coaches) - your suggestion that they have favourites undermines the credibility of the competition.

It would be good if there was a bit more competition among referees so that those who under perform could be replaced but my understanding is that there is a shortage of qualified referees. If we believe that the standard of refereeing is too low we need to find solutions to that problem - afraid i dont know what they are - but implying or accusing them of having favourites is unlikely to solve the problem.

Generally the games we win are the result of us being the better team and the games we lose  generally the opposition are the better team.  With the benefit of hindsight and setting aside emotions I cannot recall a game 'won' by a referee.

You weren't there on Sunday then, The infamous Hornets v Oldham play off game  about 10 to 12 years ago also springs to mind. I've spoken to players of both teams from that game subsequently and they were scratching their heads about the referee that day.

Well if you are so sure referees have favourites I dont think it is worth me or anyone else going again.. Cleary the refs favourites will be given every opportunity to win so its simply another form of professional wrestling . . outcome predetermined.

We must have been favoured by a lot of referees last season.

Of course I dont believe any of the above and I dont think you do either.

Put it into perspective. He penalised Fev five times and sent a man to the sin bin in the first eleven minutes at Batley. Fev rallied and beat Batley. So if refs do have favourites he ain't no Fev fan so don't worry??

In the game I referred to earlier Spotland Stadium had been chosen for the venue of the play off final. Hornets were playing like drains at the time the venue was chosen and were seen by all and sundry to have next to no chance of a final appearance.

All of a sudden we go on a brilliant run of wins and end up playing Oldham at home in the semi final for the right to play Widnes in the final, at Home ! In the Oldham game we were running away with the game try wise but keep getting very kick able penalties given against us. In the end we lost and therefore saved the Rugby League the huge embarrassment of one of the finalists being the home team.

Like I said earlier I've since spoken to some players from both teams and they seem to think it was a very unusual game. That's all I'm prepared to say.

"kept getting very kickable penalties against us"

Maybe we kept giving away very kickable penalties by our actions.  I can never understand the notion that penalty counts should in some way be even - only if the two teams commit an equal number of offences.

Yes I moan at referees and shout that they are one-eyed fatherless excretia...in the heat of the game.....but in the cold light of day and excluding the emotional pressures of game day do we really believe that they have favourites and that those favourites do not include ourselves?  The persecution complex does us no good.

Basically, Mr Straw had a stinker but it's all about pressure and, in that sense, we didn't help ourselves with the basics, either.

Let's put it to bed, as in the 48 hour plan, with work and hope for improvement in all fields.

If we can complete our sets, for starters, I'm sure the improvement will come.  

I think the stats normally show that the number of penalties awarded in a match are generally even - but that statistic will hide the most important aspect that it not just the number of penalties conceded but where and when they are conceded. So as a for instance at Swinton's match against Featherstone last week the ref award penalty to Swinton when Featherstone player stepped over a tackler (on the ground) to play the ball, around about on the  half way line, did the same thing with Swinton ( same circumstance) but Swinton were on the 20mtr line. So completely different influence on the game, same is true with sin bins and team warnings, Swinton had a man sin binned following a team warning, Featherstone were penalised 3 times in succession while defending their try line - no team warning. That is not to say the match was lost on ref decisions but inconsistency can influence a match.

Archived