game on

tandle

Not a lot you can do.

Pitch in good order late Saturday morning, dry through Saturday afternoon / night.

Glorious morning here until about 11.30, then battered down for two hours. The pitch just couldn't take it.

The weather does what the weather does...

Have to disagree, the weather forecast predicted heavy rain and if the pitch couldn't take it then the game should have been called off , I like the Dewsbury fans had to travel a fair way to get to the game and a 2pm pitch inspection is too late. Time and £ wasted ..... thanks ORLFC

So Tub, you think Oldham should have called the game off when the pitch was ok  but it was probably going to rain and then probably going to make the pitch  unplayable. The club can't do right for doing wrong, the ref would not call the game off 3 hours before a game if the pitch wa playable. This has happened many times before and will happen many times again, great British weather, nothing you Can do about it.

We rang the ground at 130 ... told the game was definitely on!!!!  got within 10 miles and then heard the game was off!!  What time did the ref get there???  It seemed obvious it was going to be postponed but the 'its definitely on' message from the club gave me the confidence to go!!!   .... too late !! ..... unacceptable Oldham!! ..... you could have saved your own and and Rams fans time and money!! 

Anyway managed to turn round and watch Fev implode against Rochdale!!   

Looks to me like the club or the ref cocked up because we knew the pitch was in bad order its been talked about on this forum all week and the weather forecast was for heavy rain on Sunday so per RFL rules

"In the event that the home Club suspects that its Ground will not be fit for play owing to frost or any other cause, the home Club must immediately call a Match Official who is on a list provided by the RFL Match Officials department prior to the start of the season,to inspect the Ground. "  

"If, having made such inspection, the Match Official says there is a doubt as to the fitness of the Ground but is not certain that it will be unfit, the home Club must immediately advise the visiting Club and the RFL of the position and the appointed Match Commissioner must be called to inspect the Ground.  In such event, the Match Commissioner shall arrive not less than 2½ hours before the advertised time for kick-off"

Given the above why did the ref arrive at 1.30pm  ?   Cancelling a game just over an hour before ko is not fair on the fans.

http://media.therfl.co.uk/docs/Section B2 - Match Day Rules_2016 - Final PDF.pdf

Look on the bright side...there may be some of the dual reg lads that have put such a shift in at Oldham available from Hudds for the rearranged fixture, its one that Oldham really need to WIN! especially after that stunning effort by the Hornets yesterday!

10 hours ago, Monk said:

Well said Tub. Everyone knows the pitch is in shot order I expected the game to be called off first thing Sunday morning. 

The clue is in the fact that it was playable at 11 am. 

given that (and im talking back in the days of mick burke, keith elwell, stuart wright and andy gregory) in winter rugby, many a game was played in the snow, fog, driving rain and mud baths etc, do you think the rules about when a game should be called off is down to stricter health and safety rules and a genuine fear for players safety, or more from a fear of litigation should a player be injured because of weather?

But was the pitch playable at 12.30pm when the match commissioner should have arrived ? Or did he arrive at 1.30pm to call it off at 1.45pm which was far too late !    I accept Oldham's apology but it still should have been avoided.

2 hours ago, tub said:

But was the pitch playable at 12.30pm when the match commissioner should have arrived ? Or did he arrive at 1.30pm to call it off at 1.45pm which was far too late !    I accept Oldham's apology but it still should have been avoided.

He arrived at 1.30. That is not the clubs fault as far as i can see. But hey we've got a derby match Sunday! 

Archived