Eric Perez on Radio 4

Eric Perez just been on Radio 4 (8:25) to discuss the Wolfpack and the victory at the weekend. Standard interview right up until the end where John Humphries asks bemused "you think there are prejudices against rugby league in the UK?". Perez simply says "yes." And how you'd have to be blind not to see it from the outside. Humphries seemed dumbfounded. 

Chippy I know but its good to know both that the Wolfpack are making some headway with media and that they're totally aware that this is what they're doing. 

This is not the first interview where Perez has referred to the "prejudices" against League in this country.

Fair play to him, he is not frightened to say it in public on the BBC even if it means the interview gets cut short.

He's a breath of fresh air.

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Eric Perez just been on Radio 4 (8:25) to discuss the Wolfpack and the victory at the weekend. Standard interview right up until the end where John Humphries asks bemused "you think there are prejudices against rugby league in the UK?". Perez simply says "yes." And how you'd have to be blind not to see it from the outside. Humphries seemed dumbfounded. 

Chippy I know but its good to know both that the Wolfpack are making some headway with media and that they're totally aware that this is what they're doing. 

The RFU know it as well.  

He has just turned up on BBC Breakfast, with a feature and full interview on the couch. How come this guy can break through the supposed glass ceiling into the media and we struggle to even get a mention? I think it is called drive and determination - and probably not taking no for an answer.

It was the sports reporter, not John Humphries, I think. Very quick to jump on the word 'prejudice', but Perez just replied that there was a bias towards RU in the South and RL in the North, and he wanted to change that.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It was Rob Bonnet, who did his usual impression of a man being forced to discuss something he had just picked up in a plastic bag behind his dog.

Perez was good. I agree with Scubby's point above, but there has to be something in the fact that Perez speaks well and in a TV/radio-friendly voice. For a number of reasons many of our British stars don't.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

He has just turned up on BBC Breakfast, with a feature and full interview on the couch. How come this guy can break through the supposed glass ceiling into the media and we struggle to even get a mention? I think it is called drive and determination - and probably not taking no for an answer.

It just shows the glass ceiling is very high and that if you create stories the media will be interested.Something similar happened with Skolars when they entered the National League they received more column space in the broadsheets not related to match reports in the space of a few weeks than Broncos did almost all of the previous season. 

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

So, that would be about two hours and twenty-five minutes in (Edit 2:26:36 in).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08gwfjr

I look forward to listening to that tonoight.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Standard interview right up until the end where John Humphries asks bemused "you think there are prejudices against rugby league in the UK?". Perez simply says "yes." And how you'd have to be blind not to see it from the outside. Humphries seemed dumbfounded. 

What a random question to ask a Canadian national... great response by Perez and glad to hear Bonnett was dumbfounded.

17 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

What a random question to ask a Canadian national... great response by Perez and glad to hear Bonnett was dumbfounded.

To be absolutely fair, it was Perez who introduced the notion of prejudices (and he was absolutely right to). 

Bonnet seemed to take it as a personal affront, which is not entirely surprising as he embodies many of the prejudices against RL.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

42 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

So, that would be about two hours and twenty-five minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08gwfjr

I look forward to listening to that tonoight.

Thanks for the link, Perez always comes across well in the media. RFL could learn a lot from him.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

32 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

To be absolutely fair, it was Perez who introduced the notion of prejudices (and he was absolutely right to). 

Bonnet seemed to take it as a personal affront, which is not entirely surprising as he embodies many of the prejudices against RL.

Rgr - thanks JB. I haven't heard the radio broadcast; great TV interview though.

Not a terribly revealing Today interview. Bonnet - a broadcaster I usually turn off the moment he comes on the radio - might have made time for more interesting questions/answers by doing some homework. He could have told listeners, very briefly, about the arrangements Toronto have made for trans-Atlantic travel and playing matches in blocks, thereby saving Perez the tedious task of outlining what they are. Shame Bonnet didn't give Perez an opportunity to tell listeners about Toronto's 'homegrown' players, trials and impressive season ticket sales etc. Clearly, Bonnet, who couldn't wait to pounce after hearing the P word, isn't aware rugby league exists outside the two London pro/semi-pro clubs and the traditional three northern counties. If he is, he chooses to present the same stereotyped, outdated view of rugby league the likes of the BBC has peddled for decades. I hate myself for feeling pathetically grateful Today gave Toronto this sliver of publicity. I don't watch 'Breakfast' any more. Sounds as though the feature with Perez on that was rather better.

I heard the interview on Today driving into work and I don't think it was anything like as bad a it's being presented.  It was an interesting feature to pick up for a wider audience, and Rob Bonnett was asking some good questions.  It was only when Perez used the word 'prejudice' that Rob sounded surprised and followed up the point.  I think given a little more time he would have probably looked to pursue the accusation being made.

As with most weekends there was a lot of newsworthy sports stories to go at, so to pick a RL one was fair play.  Maybe we're too quick to condemn sometimes...

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Agree with much of the above Konk.

Most of the Today programme sports bulletins are quick, broad brush stroke affairs. 

IIRC, Rob Bonnett teased Justin Webb on the Today programme last year about RL being more interesting to watch than RU...

37 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I love how Toronto have been around five minutes and they're already taking the ###### out of the RFL and their failure to promote and market the sport properly. Any chance Perez can own the Broncos too?

This is what I'm trying to say. They don't care for any existing (mis)conceptions about Rugby League and refuse to accept them as a barrier. 

8 minutes ago, Yosser said:

The TV interview is now available on iplayer ( although it's only available for 24 hours) here is the link;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08h31fx/breakfast-06032017   3 hours 1min 50 sec in

Brilliant again, when was the last time a SL CEO was on National terrestrial TV channel (in a positive way) Go Wolfpack!

Archived