Rochdale Hornets

clifford

After Sundays non event and with our friends winning at Featherstone do we go as underdogs to the crown oil stadium. 

I think that we will scrap a win by a point or two but it is very close to call. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any penalties given within kicking range will be punished by the x captain without a doubt so the lads will have to be squeaky clean in their half

chappy

Rochdale have to go into this as big favourites. They've made a brilliant start to the season. We've played well apart from Hull KR. Hopefully preparation for Sunday will be improved due to no soreness from the match on Sunday. It's great to be playing in this division and have Hairnets in with us. Can't wait for the game now!

Just now, TOSH1960 said:

Rochdale have to go into this as big favourites. They've made a brilliant start to the season. We've played well apart from Hull KR. Hopefully preparation for Sunday will be improved due to no soreness from the match on Sunday. It's great to be playing in this division and have Hairnets in with us. Can't wait for the game now!

Yeah I've seen some great games over the years. Like most Derbies it doesn't always go with the form book. I seem to remember Hornets winning more away games than home fixtures. Maybe you just remember the wins ?

I wouldn't say we were massive favourites, maybe a try and a goal handicap.

I can imagine the bookies pricing the game up and giving us 10 or similar.  Hornets have had a tangibly better start than us, however, had two kicks and a late try gone the other way, we'd be sitting just the one point behind our neighbours to the North.

Ifs and buts aside though, a Hornets win will put them a full six points clear of us before the light nights have come around.  We can't be having that can we.  

The Law Cup game was just a taster and the real derby business begins on Sunday.  First of a possible four games against the old foe and with the added spice of those ex roughyeds players.   Ooooh, I think I might allow myself to get a bit excited.

Just now, Dave Naylor said:

I can imagine the bookies pricing the game up and giving us 10 or similar.  Hornets have had a tangibly better start than us, however, had two kicks and a late try gone the other way, we'd be sitting just the one point behind our neighbours to the North.

Ifs and buts aside though, a Hornets win will put them a full six points clear of us before the light nights have come around.  We can't be having that can we.  

The Law Cup game was just a taster and the real derby business begins on Sunday.  First of a possible four games against the old foe and with the added spice of those ex roughyeds players.   Ooooh, I think I might allow myself to get a bit excited.

No other game is quite like the Derby.

I remember Steve Linane when he had just been appointed coach at Hornets being at a " meet the new coach " event. When the speechifying was over one bloke stood up and said " There's only two games you need to worry about Steve " Beat Oldham  home and away and you can forget the rest ! "

Of course when the Law Cup came around he treated the game as an ordinary warm up match and played all 26 players at the club. We lost the game and I don't think he ever recovered from that disrespecting the rivalry.

Rochdale know the importance of having a decent reliable kicker, we would now have two more vital point on the table if we'ed had one. Let's hope these early dropped point don't crucify us by the end of the season, and we learn our lesson quickly. .

Never a fan of Palfery but he know to get the ball through the sticks. 

10 hours ago, Monk said:

Rochdale know the importance of having a decent reliable kicker, we would now have two more vital point on the table if we'ed had one. Let's hope these early dropped point don't crucify us by the end of the season, and we learn our lesson quickly. .

You could also look at it positively and say the good field kicking of our current half backs brought us so close to pulling off two wins. ;) 

On 3/6/2017 at 10:49 PM, Monk said:

You could also look at it positively and say the good field kicking of our current half backs brought us so close to pulling off two wins. ;) 

I agree the field kicking is better, but there's going to be more close games and i always think  over the course of a game point on the board matter more than the potential of getting a try. It saves the player legs in a match and maintains  long term stamina over a season

Tough one this, Hornets flying and at home. Oldham week off and playing well (up to HKR).Derby game, Ex Oldham players v former team mates. Local bragging rights when it really matters. So much at stake.

If Oldham play well then there is no reason we cant beat them, we need to be 100% focused from kick off, no stupid penalties allowing Hornets to piggyback down the pitch and none within kicking range of Palf's boot and keep the tackling tight.

Hornets must definitely start favourites with the bookies but previous form goes out of the window on Derby day.

Hopefully a good match with a rocking atmosphere at Spot"Crown oil arena"land, Oldham to nick it by 4 points :)

Ps. Tyrone, we hope to see running rugby from our boys for the first time in ages this Sunday too haha, not exactly known for our expansive game these days ;)

5 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Tough one this, Hornets flying and at home. Oldham week off and playing well (up to HKR).Derby game, Ex Oldham players v former team mates. Local bragging rights when it really matters. So much at stake.

If Oldham play well then there is no reason we cant beat them, we need to be 100% focused from kick off, no stupid penalties allowing Hornets to piggyback down the pitch and none within kicking range of Palf's boot and keep the tackling tight.

Hornets must definitely start favourites with the bookies but previous form goes out of the window on Derby day.

Hopefully a good match with a rocking atmosphere at Spot"Crown oil arena"land, Oldham to nick it by 4 points :)

Ps. Tyrone, we hope to see running rugby from our boys for the first time in ages this Sunday too haha, not exactly known for our expansive game these days ;)

Our coach has been saying once the dry grounds arrive we'll be throwing the ball around more than we've been able to up to now. At Fev it was like old time rugby. 

What a fantastic league the championship is... you can't (excluding HKR) call any of the games. I expect Today's game to  be another close one, hopefully with no last minute penalty kicks required. Perfect day... Roughyed's win, no injuries and Tyson not getting sent off.

Following games on twitter is awful for the nerves!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived