Hornets v Oldham

Tyrone Shoelaces

Good to see our coach knows the importance of this fixture for both teams over and above the points on offer.

I like how he referred to the Law Cup game as - a friendly but not really,  any game against Oldham is a cup tie. Or words to that effect.

I envisage a very close game between two well matched teams, it'll be interesting to see the bookies view of the odds.

Maybe we'll have the slight edge with home advantage.

We'll be there, going to be a great game...

Hopefully we'll keep our heads, and start reducing our penalties...

no sin-bins tomorrow, ..

Best revenge for the 'sucker punch' will be beating them cleanly on the field..

StingEmHornets

http://twitter.com/vinnieclough

!!!!! ROCHDALE HORNETS !!!!!!

R

Yes discipline is a must as some of our players are former Oldham players so let's hope we can keep  our heads as it's certain they will be intimidated.

A true pro can and should rise above all that.

lets also hope that the people of Rochdale turn up in numbers, the team deserves nothing less.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

Phew! 26-26 with two tries to Hornets in last few minutes. Appears that ours was a performance full of errors, 2 missed conversions and surrendering a 14-6 ht lead to be losing 14-26 until the final countdown.  A point is a point and we keep in top 5, but I guess a lot more questions than answers.  Certainly they will be needed before for our next two league games!  Some changes I guess for the York game.

Well we played our " Get Out Of Jail Free " card there today alright. After an error strewn first half performance that somehow saw us with our noses in front at 14-6 in spite of 3 relatively easy kicks at goal all being missed I said to my pal " Well we can't play that bad again ".

Well I was right, we were worse. I know the ball was greasy and I know we had a tough game last week and our opponents didn't play at all but the number of mistakes we made was unbelievable. We made every mistake in the " Dumb Rugby Handbook ". Probably the worst being were Danny Bridge threw a wild pass straight into touch after a scrum when we'd gone about 5 minutes with no ball at all.

When we finally managed to put some coherent sets together in the last five minutes we actually looked like we knew what we were doing and managed to get two converted tries. Throughout the game we had no problem getting over the Oldham line, we just had major problems getting into their half. I reckon we must have scored every time we got good ball in their 25 but we didn't do it often enough.

For large parts of the game we were out enthused by a hard working Oldham side who will probably go away thinking " How did we not win that one ? " Their kicking game especially caused us problems throughout the game.

Pluses for Hornets were Danny Yates who looked really sharp and Josh Crowley who was our best forward. Not many of the other players covered themselves in glory in a poor performance.

We need to learn how to build pressure and that in this league you don't have to score on every play.

Our defence was good given the amount of tackling we had to do and we stuck at it until the end but that was a point we were lucky to come away with.

Well what an eventful afternoon....

Kick off delayed for 45 minutes

A very scrappy first half followed how the hell were we not 10-15 down, thankfully for all there tough tackling and hard running Biffos had little cutting edge to capitalise on the amount of possession we gifted them, surprising to see Palf miss 3 kicks that he would normally back heel over.

I win the half time draw ????????????????????

Second half was a shocker for us, it really was. constantly coughing up the ball, knocking on or giving up some dumb penalties. Some of the mistakes we made were shocking. You can't expect any team let alone the Biff's not to make the most of it.

10 mins to go, we ship another 2 points, I get up and leave in disgust at an awful performance......... well we know how that ended.....?????????

Quite how we got anything out of that today is beyond me, but a point is a point. For the major part of the game we looked like we'd never played together before. Unbelievable well done for perseverance if nothing else.

Lets draw a line under it and move on, a better team would have put 30 points on us today, brilliant resilience.

Oh PS....

Did I mention I won the half time draw.....every cloud and all that 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well we played our " Get Out Of Jail Free " card there today alright. After an error strewn first half performance that somehow saw us with our noses in front at 14-6 in spite of 3 relatively easy kicks at goal all being missed I said to my pal " Well we can't play that bad again ".

Well I was right, we were worse. I know the ball was greasy and I know we had a tough game last week and our opponents didn't play at all but the number of mistakes we made was unbelievable. We made every mistake in the " Dumb Rugby Handbook ". Probably the worst being were Danny Bridge threw a wild pass straight into touch after a scrum when we'd gone about 5 minutes with no ball at all.

When we finally managed to put some coherent sets together in the last five minutes we actually looked like we knew what we were doing and managed to get two converted tries. Throughout the game we had no problem getting over the Oldham line, we just had major problems getting into their half. I reckon we must have scored every time we got good ball in their 25 but we didn't do it often enough.

For large parts of the game we were out enthused by a hard working Oldham side who will probably go away thinking " How did we not win that one ? " Their kicking game especially caused us problems throughout the game.

Pluses for Hornets were Danny Yates who looked really sharp and Josh Crowley who was our best forward. Not many of the other players covered themselves in glory in a poor performance.

We need to learn how to build pressure and that in this league you don't have to score on every play.

Our defence was good given the amount of tackling we had to do and we stuck at it until the end but that was a point we were lucky to come away with.

I think we only had the ball in their 25 six times and one of those was the missed penalty.

The first half was bad enough but I can't remember many 'in play' kicks in the second half, we just couldn't complete a set of six. I don't think it was 'out enthused' so much as 'panic ball coughing'. When we had the ball in decent positions, look what happened. Oldham just went about the basics and deserved more because of it.

Two of Oldham's 2nd half tries, one absolute give away from MG and how Tyson got that ball away for the other, the ball staying in play was pure luck. At that point I thought that was game over.

Two five minute sessions at the end of each half, along with good defence, got us a lucky point. In between those two sessions it was worse than Halifax. Two stinking first halves followed by a downgrade in the second.

So much promise must come to fruition but we've got to cut out the crazy antics. 

PS. I'm beginning to feel glad we're away in the cup next week with the last two homers.

Heck of a game today. We probably threw it away but we didn't lose so that's a bonus. Proper derby in front of a good crowd (seemed like an Oldham home game as Hornets fans were few and very quiet ;)) Seriously, two decent sides giving it everything,  a draw was probably the right result. Honours even, bring on Summer Bash!

We were quiet because for the majority of the game we'd nothing much to shout about. Apart a couple of five minute spells when we actually looked like the Hornets team we've seen this season it was just a litany of mistakes tempered by some good defence. One knock on followed by a misplaced pass followed by a poor kick etc. It's hard to get excited by such shabby play.

A classic example was when we'd actually got out of jail and got a penalty right at the end. All we had to do was kick it into the stand. I could have booted it out on my bad leg. What do we do ?  Unbelievably we kick it straight to an Oldham player so they can have another go at getting a drop goal. Dumb, amateur rugby.

I'm not getting into the crowd argument. The expression " two bald men fighting over a comb " springs to mind. I've been to Hornets v Oldham " A " teams games in the past with larger gates. I suppose ten fat bald guys can make a lot of noise.

I remember going to the Oldham Widnes play off game at Spotland several years ago. There must have been at least 4,000- 5,000 Oldham fans at that game all wearing replica shirts. Where were they yesterday ?

I sit with a guy I've sat with for years. When we miss executed a simple play about 10 minutes from the end were we managed to pass the ball forward more or less straight from a scrum he said " I can't be doing with this rubbish, It's doing my head in. I'm off to get my tea ! " I've never known him leave a game early before in all the years I've known him and he's sat through some real garbage in the past.

The consolation I take from this game is we were awful yesterday but every time we got into the Oldham 25 we scored. We were poor yet we got a draw. We were dreadful but we scored more tries. We were shocking but if Palfrey had have brought his kicking boots we would possibly have won .  We can play a lot better than that, can Oldham ?

It goes without saying that our completion rate was dire. Couple that with stupid mistakes, poor play decisions and Oldham milking penalties meant that we were on the back foot all the game. At the play the ball Oldham usually had a flat pass and were therefore going forward making very good yards. We passed deeper and by the time the receiver had got the ball Oldham's defence was on the Hornets player.

One of the biggest problems at the moment is the referee's failure to police the play the ball situation. All teams are turning the player on his back and the holding down until they have gained their feet. It stops the quick play the ball that helps the attacking team. That coupled with the refs not getting the defence back is slowly killing the game.

My most enjoyable thing in the match was Joe absolutely cleaning Tyson out. Tyson was having a dig all afternoon. As the say if you give it then expect to take it. Having said that he was in a great deal of pain and looked as though he was going to come off. But credit to him he courageously finished the game. 

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

4 hours ago, Big Doug said:

It goes without saying that our completion rate was dire. Couple that with stupid mistakes, poor play decisions and Oldham milking penalties meant that we were on the back foot all the game. At the play the ball Oldham usually had a flat pass and were therefore going forward making very good yards. We passed deeper and by the time the receiver had got the ball Oldham's defence was on the Hornets player.

One of the biggest problems at the moment is the referee's failure to police the play the ball situation. All teams are turning the player on his back and the holding down until they have gained their feet. It stops the quick play the ball that helps the attacking team. That coupled with the refs not getting the defence back is slowly killing the game.

My most enjoyable thing in the match was Joe absolutely cleaning Tyson out. Tyson was having a dig all afternoon. As the say if you give it then expect to take it. Having said that he was in a great deal of pain and looked as though he was going to come off. But credit to him he courageously finished the game. 

Milking penalties. Just watch Miles Greenwood holding the tackler down every time he was tackled nearly! Milking penalties haha

Archived