TV for cup tie

clifford

The more I think about this, the more I reckon this is a big deal.

The streaming of the Siddal/Wolfpack game was a relative success for the BBCs live streaming initiative.  Even though it was live, over a thousand people turned up to watch in wintry conditions.  The BBC and RFL made a big thing out of it all and Twitter was going mad with people tweeting about it.

Last year, when we played Kells, only 375 people came, and that included the Kells fans who had travelled down from Cumbria to have their big day out.  Surely we can do better than that.

Haydock had an attendance of around 500 in a previous round.  I can envisage a lot of those people making the short trip up the East Lancs and swelling the gate.  Unless our fans turn up in numbers, we could easily be in the minority at home against amateurs.  

The club have cut admission prices and the ground should be buzzing with RL personalities and the media. I'd love to see the seats in the main stand as full-up as possible and some vocal Oldham support on all sides. I'd want potential future fans and maybe sponsors to look at the crowd and think yeah, I'm having some of that.

This isn't just an event all about Haydock, it's exposure for Oldham too, so let's show 'em we can have some fun at our own party.

It's a sad sign that Oldham folk can't travel 4 miles to support the once great club in a ground which has a hint of sheddings. 

I've turned my anger in leaving the borough to a positive why can't the rest of the rugby folk because when it's gone that will be too late 

53 minutes ago, Dave Naylor said:

The more I think about this, the more I reckon this is a big deal.

The streaming of the Siddal/Wolfpack game was a relative success for the BBCs live streaming initiative.  Even though it was live, over a thousand people turned up to watch in wintry conditions.  The BBC and RFL made a big thing out of it all and Twitter was going mad with people tweeting about it.

Last year, when we played Kells, only 375 people came, and that included the Kells fans who had travelled down from Cumbria to have their big day out.  Surely we can do better than that.

Haydock had an attendance of around 500 in a previous round.  I can envisage a lot of those people making the short trip up the East Lancs and swelling the gate.  Unless our fans turn up in numbers, we could easily be in the minority at home against amateurs.  

The club have cut admission prices and the ground should be buzzing with RL personalities and the media. I'd love to see the seats in the main stand as full-up as possible and some vocal Oldham support on all sides. I'd want potential future fans and maybe sponsors to look at the crowd and think yeah, I'm having some of that.

This isn't just an event all about Haydock, it's exposure for Oldham too, so let's show 'em we can have some fun at our own party.

If i could like this post a thousand times I would!

Quite often, Phil brings stewards to work the Oldham matches, who work with him at Widnes. They live in Haydock, and have already told him they will be coming to the match as fans, and will be bringing family and friends with them. As theyve already been to the Fold to work, they know just how fab the ground is, and have been singing its praises far and wide. Everyone is buzzing about it.

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

As a neutral I'm looking forward to this.

I think Siddal-Toronto got around 41k online viewers.

Let's hope this can be topped.

Your user name just made me smile...as a child, i remember my nan used to yell 'gerrumonside' at the Widnes matches, for years I thought it was all one word which was a special rugby term!

Let's ALL get down to the fold for this challenge cup game.The opportunity to spread Oldham rugby needs to be grasped with both hands.Hopefully if people see what a cracking venue it is coupled with some great rugger, it may tempt a few give it a go.Attendances haven't been great and the boys deserve better.The game being streamed should provide invaluable exposure.

9 hours ago, clifford said:

It's a sad sign that Oldham folk can't travel 4 miles to support the once great club in a ground which has a hint of sheddings. 

I've turned my anger in leaving the borough to a positive why can't the rest of the rugby folk because when it's gone that will be too late 

You look at streaming games all wrong,it's not about stay aways or people that CBA travelling down the road..

It's about get "extra eyes on the game", like it's been pointed out 40,000 people watched siddal v toronto...40,000!!

Building up that online presence means bigger negotiating power when it comes to sponsorship..Having 1000 home gates plus 5000 livestream viewers (from around the world,not just from 4 miles away) per home game is a good thing! It opens up revenue streams..Pardon the pun.

Actors/models often get roles these days based on their social media numbers...It's just the way it is these days

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Spud I realised that a good web presence helps with promoting the brand, what I'm saying is that if say a stay away sees the offers for attendance why not come down or alternatively if an Oldhamer sees the stream then they could come down to the next fixture which is a massive bonus 

Any hints on how to watch the game online from overseas? BBC doesn't allow viewing from outside the UK. The website provides an excellent video but with social media it's hard not to see the score before it's online.

i really hope for a good attendance on the day but getting good viewing numbers via the stream is important as the exposure is great for both clubs.

in today's world having accessible content online is essential.

Great to see the online content improve over the last year as I've found it easier to follow the games. but also buying online was a breeze in comparison to my last visit to the uk and trying to get a replica shirt out of CH car boot.

come on Oldham 

On 8 March 2017 at 10:44 PM, OutsiderLookingIn said:

Your user name just made me smile...as a child, i remember my nan used to yell 'gerrumonside' at the Widnes matches, for years I thought it was all one word which was a special rugby term!

Just following on from OLI's post, and I realise it's off topic, but your nickname "Gerrumonside ref" made me smile too - routinely shouted at Watersheddings and no doubt at all other grounds after every tackle by supporters of both teams playing.

I do however recall a variation whenever Oldham played Salford and Trevor Rabbit was playing scrum half for Salford.

There was a bloke who used to stand near me and my mates - we always used to stand in the same spot opposite the main stand - who after every scrum would exhort the referee to "Make that Rabbit retire".

Cracks me up thinking of it now but I guess you had to be there !!!

4 hours ago, ausroughyed said:

Any hints on how to watch the game online from overseas? BBC doesn't allow viewing from outside the UK. The website provides an excellent video but with social media it's hard not to see the score before it's online.

You could try a VPN.  You'd probably get better results with a paid service.  Something like these guys but there are many more available.

https://nordvpn.com/

On 10/03/2017 at 5:38 AM, ausroughyed said:

i really hope for a good attendance on the day but getting good viewing numbers via the stream is important as the exposure is great for both clubs.

in today's world having accessible content online is essential.

Great to see the online content improve over the last year as I've found it easier to follow the games. but also buying online was a breeze in comparison to my last visit to the uk and trying to get a replica shirt out of CH car boot.

come on Oldham 

They made the Siddal game available to view worldwide, hopefully the same for this one.

Archived