Match Thread. Sheffield v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 12th March 2017

marklaspalmas

42 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

After watching Fev beat Batley quite comfortably, and while Fev were beating Swinton I saw Batley put fifty past Sheffield, who are definitely the worst side I've seen this year, including pre-season.

True, Fev aren't as good in the mud, but I can't see them losing this one even in the worst of conditions.

Not sure form lines work like that in the Championship though, and especially with Sheffield, who have plenty of players who are talented but flakey. They'd lost 8 of their last 9 last season before they hammered us at theirs.

that said - yes I'd be disappointed if we didn't win this with plenty to spare.

Interesting sideshow to this game with Aston stating he tried to bring Cory back to Sheffield. The last two paragraphs are textbook Tubbs with the sly little digs and his favourite interview trick of asking himself a question so he can churn out the answer he wants to give...it's hard not to chuckle and even grudgingly admire when you read interviews with him, he's like a skilled politician in that he will steer the conversation to whatever he wants to talk about, the self-questioning thing is his speciality... you read the article and you just know that the interviewer never even brought up the issue of Fev's sustainabilty

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/sheffield-eagles/sheffield-eagles-aston-admits-to-attempting-to-re-sign-son-cory-1-8432904

47-22 FT

if thats what weve to look forward to when the grounds harden up then weve got a great season to look forward to as a spectator

We looked dangerous on every set! The forwards made many metres and the wingers had a field day at times

Downside - Knowles limping off 

That said, Sheffield and Menzie Yere are a shadow of their former selves - countless missed tackles, 2 gifted tries to us and two ridiculous forward passes they gave away were that forward im sure id seen them a month ago in the Super bowl

Long season for them im afraid

Next week should be interesting - wonder if Bradford will have more interest in the league rather than the cup

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Dickin Sheffield always gives me a glow.

The rotund one will be displeased this evening. ???

They certain looked up for a bit of needle, but the ref calmed them down.  Taking the two on offer in front of the sticks tells them that if they get penalised they're going to suffer immediate consequences and think twice.  That was our mistake last week.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

They certain looked up for a bit of needle, but the ref calmed them down.  Taking the two on offer in front of the sticks tells them that if they get penalised they're going to suffer immediate consequences and think twice.  That was our mistake last week.

It would appear I have been ejected from Sheffield's facebook page ????

Robin, old lad, remember the lows of Fev, we are totally broke like you were.   Didn't think grudges were in your pshycic,   The barrelled one is a Rugby League man and I bet you were happy his lad kicked that goal for you.   The Red Flags still flying very high here......Jeremy supports Rugby League.

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

eagletarian.gif

Good win tonight, told our young un that i thought the score would be 32 -10 to Fev so not far off in points differential.Thacks had a good game as he has done all season.Drier ground conditions will favour us as we have pace on the outside only game i think we should bother about is KR. away.I think we will give them a game down at P.O.Road.

6 hours ago, Eagletarian said:

Robin, old lad, remember the lows of Fev, we are totally broke like you were.   Didn't think grudges were in your pshycic,   The barrelled one is a Rugby League man and I bet you were happy his lad kicked that goal for you.   The Red Flags still flying very high here......Jeremy supports Rugby League.

Grudges? Nah. Although I being removed from the eagles facebook page gave me a bit of a chuckle.

But sticking it to the ovoid one is always a pleasure. You know how it is.?

Some scintillating attacking rugby,looking forward to seeing more from now on as the condition of the pitches improve but some unfamiliar defensive work on display,they cut through us a bit too easy at times,get the defence back to the usual and we've some happy times ahead this season 

Forza Fev

13 hours ago, Mark H said:

Some scintillating attacking rugby,looking forward to seeing more from now on as the condition of the pitches improve but some unfamiliar defensive work on display,they cut through us a bit too easy at times,get the defence back to the usual and we've some happy times ahead this season 

They will  need to tighten up against Bradford 

37 minutes ago, Phil Stone said:

I wonder what changed? Against Rochdale we don't take the 2 when on offer in a tight game in poor conditions yet against Sheffield we do? Were Sheffield seen as a bigger threat? if so did  that made us complacent against Rochdale or have lessons been learned and 2 was seen as not such a bad thing? I know MLP in particular probably won't like this post (Sorry Mark) BUT in the space of a week when we were doing okay against Sheffield and had a lead the policy seemed to change. I am not convinced that there wasn't some miscommunication against Rochdale between JS and the team on the touchline as to what the tactics were. Good win though against a team who will probably hit form at some point this season.

Bradford can smell blood, they'll rack up enough wins this season to see themselves escape the drop

Don't worry about me mate! :D

FWIW I think you're right. The players/coaches feel like they slipped up last week even though they don't need to say so publicly. They changed and got it right this week.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, marklaspalmas said:

Don't worry about me mate! :D

FWIW I think you're right. The players/coaches feel like they slipped up last week even though they don't need to say so publicly. They changed and got it right this week.

Because Fev threw away several chances of easy point against Rochdale, I believe Rochdale felt safe in continuing with  the tactics that were providing the penalties, because they knew they'd go unpunished.  I think Fev learned that lesson and this week decided that points from a penalty under the sticks could not be turned down.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Ball ripping is often a bone of contention, but if it's early in the tackle count it can often be a risk worth taking, and Rochdale played the odds very well in this respect.

We didn't respect our opponents (Rochdale) that's what cost us the game, always take the 2 on offer in those circumstances, we did it a few times last season...we needs to tighten up in defence, we let in 2 easy tries through poor attempts of tackling, when we get in front comfortably, we need to put the game to bed! Sheffield kick offs were great, foxed us every time, should we try something like that? In attack we looked very good, slick, quick passing. Looking good Featherstone.....

Archived