The late great Mick Adams

RS

Widnes Vikings are saddened to hear that former Widnes Captain Mick Adams passed away overnight.

Mick made over 400 appearances for the Club, scoring 68 tries during his time with the Club in the 1970s and 80s. Mick also won a number of trophies and played in over 25 finals with the Club including four Challenge Cups, three Premiership finals, five Lancashire Cups, the BBC Floodlit Trophy as well as winning the Championship title with Widnes. In 1992, Mick was inducted into Widnes hall of fame following his time at the Club.

Mick also gained international honours with 6 caps for England including the 1975 World Cup and also with Great Britain, going to gain 13 caps.

The Club would like to pass on their sincere condolences to Mick's family and friends at this time. 

Widnes Vikings would like to make supporters aware that a minute's applause will take place prior to the Castleford game as a mark of respect for Mick.

condalances to all his family and friends. A truly great player. R.I.P Mick.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

57 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Condolences to Mick's family and friends. Mick was a cornerstone of the Widnes Cup Kings of the 1980s and I always enjoyed watching him play even when Widnes were invariably beating Hull.

Absolutely bang on and exactly what I was thinking of posting.

One of the very first opposition players I had the utmost admiration and respect for.

RIP Mick.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Mick Adams was a true great ,and quite correct Exiled Wiganer an expert at bouncing the ball off the post or crossbar which he did against Workington more than once . Even done it against us in the 1979 lancs cup final if my memory serves .Above all he was consistent and classy in everything he did .R.I.P. Mick Adams .

I met Mick as I worked with his son for a couple of years and he also attended a few local men of league or legends events that I went to, as he lived in the same town. He was a nice guy and always seemed fit and strong. He'd played for the Bulldogs before retiring in Tamworth where he'd played with Great Britain against Northern Division during the Lions tour in 1976 (?). He was one of several Widnesian RL players to live around northern nsw after retiring. Others include Eddie Wood and Mick McCarthy.

Proper player - RIP

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Incidentally, am I the only person who finds this new minute's applause a bit tacky - I thought that the purpose of the minute's silence was so that people could reflect on the deceased and their life.

I'm of the same opinion C of C but when Steve Prescott passed away the news was announced at the England v Fji WC game at the KC. A minute's silence was announced and at the start of it the crowd duly showed their respect. Without any warning someone began clapping and soon the whole stadium joined in. It was a very poignant moment. I'm sure whichever way the club chooses to show their respects to Mick will be  given the proper reverence he deserves.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Very sad to hear this, and only about my age as well - RIP. Incidentally, am I the only person who finds this new minute's applause a bit tacky - I thought that the purpose of the minute's silence was so that people could reflect on the deceased and their life.

I disagree, you can still reflect on the deceased's life with enthusiasm, applause and maybe a smile on your face. No need to be sombre imo

Myself Mick and Alan Varty (along with Alans wife) around three years ago in the local pub in Broughton West Cumbria.

Mick and his wife were over from Australia on holiday and he came to the village to visit his old team mate Les Gorley (and re live old memories with a host of other Workington Town players who came from the village)

Town were big rivals to Widnes in the late seventies, especially when it came to the Lancashire Cup, and Mick was often the difference between winning and losing .

Fond memories of a great player and also a great guy.

RIP Marra.

1509188_10152138456441322_772217213_n.jpg

Archived