Pie "n" Pasty shop. What be your purchase?

As an American work colleague said. "English food is C%^p. It's all Pastry"

Tough mister American colleague, that's how we sausage.............roll!

What's the best Pie or pasty then?

For me the leaders are a Chicken Balti pie when I visit Valley Parade or Pork pie with Black pudding with caramelised onions on top from the local farm shop.

Over to the experts...

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lovely steak and ale pie, moderately dry inside rather than half filled with rubbish ale gravy allowing me to add as much or as little gravy as I want.  Our local butcher does a fantastic one that's lovely soft meat cooked slowly in a very nice craft ale gravy and proper shortcrust pastry pie. 

Mmmmm. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Mumby Magic said:

As an American work colleague said. "English food is C%^p. It's all Pastry"

Considering what a fuss our colonial cousins make about pies (albeit sweet ones), let alone queuing round the block for cronuts or whatever is the fad snack in NY or LA this week, that's pretty rich of your colleague.

There's a stall down Borough Market that does a good bison pie, if you want an American flavor (sic). The first time I had rabbit was in a pie, and that was very nice indeed.

Then there's game pie, with English mustard, and even a Scottish meat pie can be good if you can find a quality example (most are pretty grim).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Steak and Kidney, don't hold back on the kidney.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

As a proud Yorkie I hate to admit it, but one of my favourite pies is Greenhalgh's meat pies, especially if the gravy is liquid.  When I worked in Cas I used to love pork pies from Matthews (long gone) and from Green Lane bakery in Fev (also no more)  However, currently I'm a pie free zone.  Pies are verboten.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I looked through my recipe folder and found one for a rabbit, ham and chestnut pie. Last time I cooked it, it turned out pretty well. Other ingredients for the filling include tomato pureé, sour cream, shallots, thyme and a little garlic.

If your colleague is defiantly anti-pastry, there's always shepherd's pie, cottage pie and fish pie (the potatoe*-topped version).

*another American spelling, this time from Dan Quayle, the intellectual version of Donald Trump.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

During the war, because of rationing etc, Bob Lord, the Burnley butcher, used to sell pies that were 50% horse and 50% rabbit. When asked about this proportion, he replied, "Well, you know, one horse,  one rabbit,  one horse, one rabbit...."

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

During the war, because of rationing etc, Bob Lord, the Burnley butcher, used to sell pies that were 50% horse and 50% rabbit. When asked about this proportion, he replied, "Well, you know, one horse,  one rabbit,  one horse, one rabbit...."

When I was a kid, we used to get Hollands meat and potato pies. The four of us would then play "hunt the meat". My dad reckoned there was one can of "meat stew" to every ton of potatoes. I did find some meat once. Not sure what variety.:ph34r:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

When I was a kid, we used to get Hollands meat and potato pies. The four of us would then play "hunt the meat". My dad reckoned there was one can of "meat stew" to every ton of potatoes. I did find some meat once. Not sure what variety.:ph34r:

TBF Hollands pies are called potato and meat.  Maybe it was horsemeat, maybe it still is.  I remember there being a horsemeat butchers on Kirkgate in Leeds, near the market, in the last 40 years.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

TBF Hollands pies are called potato and meat.  Maybe it was horsemeat, maybe it still is.  I remember there being a horsemeat butchers on Kirkgate in Leeds, near the market, in the last 40 years.

Trojan, they are called "potato and meat" now. When I was a kid (1950s & 60s), they were definitely called "meat and potato". The Trade Descriptions Act forced them to change the name. That was part of the reason we enjoyed "hunt the meat".

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I used to work next to the Hollands Pie factory.

There used  to be a small pack of dogs regularly hanging round outside the factory, attracted by the smell of pies being baked. The company also had a fantastic retro green and gold livery on their delivery vans.

I loved their pies, and for several years continued eating them via a chip shop in Halifax.. Not so good in recent years, when I bought some from the supermarket.

There was a pork pie club at work for several years. Favourite was Dawson's of Milnsbridge. Nowadays, B & M Collins won the best pie in Yorkshire this year. Mick Collins is a stalwart of Cleckheaton RUFC.

Most weeks, I get a meat and potato pie from Bert Marshall's in Bradford ... superduper!

If anyone goes near Oulton on a dinnertime, they should make the effort to visit the Cottage Bakery ... pies, pizzas and cakes baked on site and fantastic sandwiches.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Tony Neary's butcher in Clifton York , a short stroll from the footy ground we are sharing at the mo , Aberdeen Angus steak pies with just enough gravy to make it 'moist' , he is batch baking all day they are that popular.

8 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Still the same now. The meat and potato Holland's pie is just slop. There Beef and veg pasty is quite nice though and there's a fair bit of beef in.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I'm still mourning the loss of Pimbletts in St Helens because they made the best meat and potato pies I have ever tasted, ever.  (They also made great pies generally and fab cakes too ... sob, sob)  However, since they are now a deceased bakery, there is another local bakery who makes enjoyable cheese and onion pasties, and I quite like their meat and potato pies too.  (But they aren't as good as those made by Pimbletts)

9 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I'm still mourning the loss of Pimbletts in St Helens because they made the best meat and potato pies I have ever tasted, ever.  (They also made great pies generally and fab cakes too ... sob, sob)  However, since they are now a deceased bakery, there is another local bakery who makes enjoyable cheese and onion pasties, and I quite like their meat and potato pies too.  (But they aren't as good as those made by Pimbletts)

They serve a very good St Helens made pie in The Cricketers Arms pub. Can't remember the name of the maker, but an excellent pie. It's also an excellent pub.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

High above Huddersfield, through Golcar is the wonderful Bolster Moor Farm Shop. Their pork pie is the best I've ever tasted. The farm shop and coffee shop are well worth a visit, fabulous home made produce. Be warned though, it gets very busy especially at weekends, many a time we've queued at least 20 mins to eat in the coffee shop.

Steak and ale for me. I prefer a shortcrust type pastry but frankly almost any filling with any type of pastry works if it's well cooked. Except cheese and onion, that's an abomination.

As for meat v potato, I like a 50-50 mix.

The chef at our local cookery school makes fantastic pork pies at Christmas.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Archived