Wakefield Trinity leaving Belle Vue says Carter

Rob

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rob said:

https://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/news/wakefield-forced-to-leave-home/43956

Sounds like he means it, but what happens if they don't secure another suitable ground?

Could they then be homeless which would cause even greater problems than a naff ground?

I thought they said they were leaving nearly 20 years ago and are still there.

I agree that Belle Vue is long past it's sell by date and i'm not surprised it doesn't meet the required standards. But moving out of the City would in my opinion be a disaster. Look at Oldham, Swinton for example, they are a shadow of the clubs they once were. York are another example of what happens when a club leaves their home and moves out of the town.

As for relocating the franchise to another city out of the traditional heartlands. Surely that's means that Wakefield Trinity cease to exist?  How is that an option.

With regards to the proposed redevelopment of the BV site. Why would the land owner even consider building a new stadium, surely he would make more profit building retail units or houses than a stadium for a RL team to play in just 15 or so times per year. So i'm not surprised at all that nothing has happened.  Likewise the development at Newmarket. As far as i'm aware Wakefield Trinity can't afford to build a ground and need someone to basically do it for them. Why would anyone do that?

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Hasn't the Wakey chairman threatened the same for the last couple of seasons? Seems to be an annual negotiating tactic with the landlords.

Different landlords and always an unwanted last resort.  No one really wants to leave Belle Vue so any offer to sort the problems has usually been grasped.  The fat lady may have resigned from the Community Trust but she hasn't started singing just yet.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Personally, I'd follow them as "Trinity" anywhere in Yorkshire but many won't.  Sad for rugby league to lose the ground where it all started for one of founder clubs though.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

Lose your ground and lose the viability of the club. Only ever, ever, ever dump the $h!t hole that you are in until you have a new home to go to that is long term and viable.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

31 minutes ago, Padge said:

Lose your ground and lose the viability of the club. Only ever, ever, ever dump the $h!t hole that you are in until you have a new home to go to that is long term and viable.

Hopefully Wakey will have more luck than Wigan in that respect.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

12 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Hopefully Wakey will have more luck than Wigan in that respect.

Wigan never lost their ground.

Don't believe the myth.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

What if one of these wealthy investors the RFL has been telling us about comes in and buys Wakefield and relocates them to Dublin and changes the name to Dublin Trinity? 

Would that not benefit the game? Wakefield can't get any bigger as a club and I don't see a future for them unless a new stadium is built.

Been to Belle Vue tonight to watch Fev play Sheffield, it's years since I was there before.  It's become a real dump.  They playing surface is as good as ever though.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, NickG14 said:

What if one of these wealthy investors the RFL has been telling us about comes in and buys Wakefield and relocates them to Dublin and changes the name to Dublin Trinity? 

Would that not benefit the game? Wakefield can't get any bigger as a club and I don't see a future for them unless a new stadium is built.

Are these the wealthy investors who want to spend £Millions a year to create RL clubs where there is no RL?

Spending that sort of money in Wakefield where RL is still a sizeable part of the community would certainly make them a bigger club. 

7 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Are these the wealthy investors who want to spend £Millions a year to create RL clubs where there is no RL?

Spending that sort of money in Wakefield where RL is still a sizeable part of the community would certainly make them a bigger club. 

Is Wakefield currently an attractive club to buy though? They don't play in a major city, soon won't be playing in the city. 

A wealthy investor might come in and buy the club and move them to Montreal or Miami on the back of Toronto, it would be more attractive to punters and sponsors watching a US/Canadian team in SL

14 hours ago, WakefieldWildcat said:

I agree that Belle Vue is long past it's sell by date and i'm not surprised it doesn't meet the required standards. But moving out of the City would in my opinion be a disaster. Look at Oldham, Swinton for example, they are a shadow of the clubs they once were. York are another example of what happens when a club leaves their home and moves out of the town.

As for relocating the franchise to another city out of the traditional heartlands. Surely that's means that Wakefield Trinity cease to exist?  How is that an option.

With regards to the proposed redevelopment of the BV site. Why would the land owner even consider building a new stadium, surely he would make more profit building retail units or houses than a stadium for a RL team to play in just 15 or so times per year. So i'm not surprised at all that nothing has happened.  Likewise the development at Newmarket. As far as i'm aware Wakefield Trinity can't afford to build a ground and need someone to basically do it for them. Why would anyone do that?

I agree with all of that, but what's your solution? You've basically told us all the options that won't work - Michael Carter needs one that will work...

8 hours ago, NickG14 said:

Wakefield can get a lot bigger and we will once community stadium is sorted.  We don't do that bad now playing in a not fit for purpose stadium.  Wakefields a decent City that's getting bigger if we can keep competitive on pitch and get stadium finally sorted even if it means high court then we will have no worries about the potential of Wakefield Trinity RLFC.

Up the Trin 

6 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I agree with all of that, but what's your solution? You've basically told us all the options that won't work - Michael Carter needs one that will work...

I'm sorry to say I don't have a solution.  Although look at what Dewsbury, Featherstone and Batley have achieved with their grounds over the past ten years or so.  A slow and steady approach has seen them turn into quite tidy little stadiums now.

Whether or not Michael Carter could fund a similar scheme at BV I don't know and whether or not it would be feasible given they don't own the ground is another.  Its a shame for Carter who in my opinion is probably the best most common sense chairman Wakey have had in years and whom without, the club would have disappeared altogether a few years back.  Hopefully they can stay within the city, otherwise I can't see them surviving.

In one of the papers this morning it said Dewsbury and one other venue were in the running. Does anyone have any idea what this is? Pretty sure it said both were outside the Wakefield MD but could be wrong.

All in all a very sorry state of affairs. Does seem like Trin have been dealt a rough deal consistently by "outside forces". To me they should be the pride of the city, yet the council seem to ngaf?

8 hours ago, NickG14 said:

Is Wakefield currently an attractive club to buy though? They don't play in a major city, soon won't be playing in the city. 

A wealthy investor might come in and buy the club and move them to Montreal or Miami on the back of Toronto, it would be more attractive to punters and sponsors watching a US/Canadian team in SL

I can't see them moving anything out of Wakefield except the Licence.

That is what is valuable and ties in with the RFL allowing current licences to be taken over in new places. 

So is it the licence to Toronto and the remnants of the Wakey club to Doncaster with Sheffield stranded?

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In one of the papers this morning it said Dewsbury and one other venue were in the running. Does anyone have any idea what this is? Pretty sure it said both were outside the Wakefield MD but could be wrong.

All in all a very sorry state of affairs. Does seem like Trin have been dealt a rough deal consistently by "outside forces". To me they should be the pride of the city, yet the council seem to ngaf?

I'd imagine Barnsley would be the other option to be fair.  Really hope it's dewsbury if anywhere, it's only about 100 metres outside Wakefield Authority area.

Difficulty we've always had is that the council has got Cas, Fev and us to look out for. It can't do for one what it cant do for the other 2.  They've basically allowed the club to be shafted with the latest escapade at Newmarket though.  But in these times of austerity and council cuts, they weren't really in a position to insist that the stadium was built if the developer threatened to take their plans to another city.

It's a sad state of affairs, I just wish my numbers would come up on the Euromillions so I could get something sorted!

Archived