Classy Cas...what's the secret?

I know most folk regard Daryl Powell as a terrific coach but the transformation of some of the playing staff there and the confidence with which they're all playing is phenomenal.

So how has this occurred?

Andy Lynch, dumped from Hull FC shortly after Ellis came over, now playing fantastic at 35. Greg Eden, a laughing stock not long since, now having a great time. Greg Minikin, signed from York and shipped out on loan to Batley during last season, now odds on for top SL try scorer?. Luke Gale, normally more worried about his hair than his attacking formation, now strolling through defences. Zak Hardaker, Jake Webster, Paul McShane, Mike McMeeken, Gadwin Springer, Ben Roberts....most of these players have been rejects of a sort.

It goes on and on, what's the secret?

Great stuff, everyone's second team?

I assume we're all looking forward to Thursday 6th April when Cas visit the Piedome, something of a mouth watering clash that one.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

No fear rugby, trying off the cuff things instead of safety first 5 drives and a kick, and a coach that encourages them to do it. There are other teams in the league who have the personnel to play like Cas but they're shackled by game plans that are more about containing the opposition and forcing errors than attacking them. Cas are exploiting the predictability of their opposition and good luck to them, though the way they play will inevitably lead to a shock hammering at some point when they have one of those days when passes don't stick.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

No fear rugby, trying off the cuff things instead of safety first 5 drives and a kick, and a coach that encourages them to do it. There are other teams in the league who have the personnel to play like Cas but they're shackled by game plans that are more about containing the opposition and forcing errors than attacking them. Cas are exploiting the predictability of their opposition and good luck to them, though the way they play will inevitably lead to a shock hammering at some point when they have one of those days when passes don't stick.

Thanks Daryl. :smile:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Luck?;)

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

The answer is simple - Daryl Powell is the best coach in Super League by a country mile.

I think this obsession with off the cuff rugby, the so called "English style" as opposed to safety first does a disservice to Daryl Powell. At no point do Cas play in a way I would describe as unstructured or risky. On the contrary they have played to a highly effective set pattern in every game I've seen so far. The champagne rugby only happens when they've torn teams to shreds up the middle. Just look at the clever way they rotate their forwards, particularly Springer and Millington, in every game - completely predictable every time but it still works. In other words, they're only able to do the flashy stuff because it's built on an effective defense and a well thought out game plan.

Not to mention his man-management skills which have seen players careers turned round and young guys reaching their full potential.

6 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

I don't think it's luck,

Fair enough.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

Can we delete this thread please as we all know what's going to happen next week against Salford!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Would be cracker if Wigan and Cas can keep the momentum going until they meet.  Last time I went to a Cas away game it was at Wigan.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

Daryl Powell seems to see things in players others don't, he also improves already good players - Jamie Peacock on the Superleague show last week said that at the recent England training session Zac Hardaker was performing better than he had ever seen him play

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Cas are playing a great brand of shackles of rugby, if they can keep it up will depend on injuries and strength in depth.

Getting as many points on the board as you can early doors is a great tactic if you have a thin squad, back end of the season you can go for grinding out wins.

Plus I think Cas have caught teams cold with an expansive style, and strangely so have Wigan, they are also playing expansive under what has been considered a conservative coach.

Interesting that teams previously considered throw it anywhere offload sides, Leeds and Saints, are struggling. A good coach will play to his players strengths and not make players play an unnatural game that he wants.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Personally I think one of the most important things DP has changed is the culture at Cas and this ultimately underpins everything else.

I think the Cas of today is the fruit of what Powell started from day one at the club.   We were terrible all round under Basil (No wonder as at the time our leadership players included the likes of Ryan Mcgoldrick and Rangi Chase  - both of whom were notoriously bad trainers amongst other things).  Rangi alluded to how bad the culture used to be and how good it is on his return recently.  I heard at the time of Basil's tenure a number of Cas players would 'end' training early, start late and on occasions not turn up.

DP's 1st season recruitment was key looking back.  Chase out, Mcgoldrick had long since gone, Ferres out. IMO he also made 3 key signings in terms of culture change:

Lynch -one of the hardest trainers in the game.

Dorn - good attitude and all round bloke.

Finn - see above

3 leaders, HIS guys who would help drive HIS culture change.  

This underpinned huge changes around training, prep and style of play.

I think he has always had a vision for how he wanted the game played and has held to it, gradually signing players who he felt would fit this vision, had or could have the sills he needed and fitted the culture at the club.  He's also done so very patiently signing young players to develop.

He has created a style of play which I think differs to most other teams, when Cas attack they seem to put more players in motion and involve more players ie forwards ball handling.  You can see plays coming but it's still hard to defend because so many defenders have to make decisions individually. He's also created a style of play that players enjoy playing which helps on the field but also with recruitment and retention.   So far this season our defence also looks better - remains to be seen if we can keep this up.  

I also think conditioning wise we look in  really good nick.  We looked physically very ready even in pre season.

IMO Cas's (relative) success is down to a combination of having the right culture, identifying/recruiting the right players, developing a difficult to combat style of play and have a team who enjoy playing rugby as a team.  Long may it continue.

When Cas break the line, they back up in numbers and move the ball fast. If you can scramble back, they take the tackle and then spread it wide at speed and stretch the defense out wide. if you can stop that, they then have a first rate kicking game to stretch you again. Cas also have some slick set plays that they execute perfectly

Cas have recruited well over the last year and replaced Solomona and Dorn really well

Powell is one of the few coaches in SL who was a back in his playing days and I think that shows in how his teams are set up. It surprises me how many plodding forwards are now head coaches in SL

3 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

When Cas break the line, they back up in numbers and move the ball fast. If you can scramble back, they take the tackle and then spread it wide at speed and stretch the defense out wide. if you can stop that, they then have a first rate kicking game to stretch you again. Cas also have some slick set plays that they execute perfectly

Cas have recruited well over the last year and replaced Solomona and Dorn really well

Powell is one of the few coaches in SL who was a back in his playing days and I think that shows in how his teams are set up. It surprises me how many plodding forwards are now head coaches in SL

As a plodding forward coach Wayne didn't seem to do too bad at throwing a fast back line at Warrington with great success. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, Derwent said:

But their defence has improved to combat when the ball doesn't stick, Powell must have brilliant man management skills and thinks a lot outside of the normal boring coaching box that has made the game sterile .

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

It's all about getting the best out of your players, making average players good and making good players great etc.

Dary Powell deserves a hell of a lot of credit not only for that but the style Cas are playing is fantastic to watch.

Some coaches are all about themselves and they're egos, the best coaches couldn't give a damn about ###### like that.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

But their defence has improved to combat when the ball doesn't stick, Powell must have brilliant man management skills and thinks a lot outside of the normal boring coaching box that has made the game sterile .

It has you are right, but some of that comes from players playing with confidence and enjoying their rugby. Happy players are more likely to go the extra yard for each other than stifled ones. As an example I know that last year many Workington players were totally ###### off at Phil Veivers' totally negative approach to the game and consequently performed very poorly including Jarrod Sammut who was not allowed to play his natural game. The attitude and mindset of the players has a big bearing on performances and clearly Powell and his coaching staff have fostered a happy relaxed atmosphere in the camp.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

16 hours ago, damp squib said:

I think this obsession with off the cuff rugby, the so called "English style" as opposed to safety first does a disservice to Daryl Powell. At no point do Cas play in a way I would describe as unstructured or risky. On the contrary they have played to a highly effective set pattern in every game I've seen so far.

Powell was at pains to point this out in his after-game comments yesterday - was talking about how many of the tries were down to perfect execution of things they'd done in training.

21 hours ago, damp squib said:

I think this obsession with off the cuff rugby, the so called "English style" as opposed to safety first does a disservice to Daryl Powell. At no point do Cas play in a way I would describe as unstructured or risky. On the contrary they have played to a highly effective set pattern in every game I've seen so far. 

Good point.

I found the touch screen Wells - Gale section (one of the best features sky have introduced in their coverage in my opinion) after the Wire game quiet telling in this respect.

The length of the field kick off return try appeared to be as off the cuff as you  will ever get.  So it was interesting to hear Gale say it was something they had picked out and worked on prior to the game.  I wouldn't class the play as particularly risky either  (basically it involved 2 passes in the 20).

Archived