Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

17-19 Mar: Ladbrokes Challenge Cup - Fourth Round Match Thread

23 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

I hope to go to the Broncos game tomorrow evening. Only four or so miles from home. But is Trailfinders ground appropriate for a night match? What are the floodlights like and the standing areas in the dark? Have Ealing RU played in the evening at 8pm? 

Lights are no problem - played Yowies last year no issue.

Anyone know why the Gloucestershire-Doncaster tie was switched? I did ask a Dons official in an email earlier this week but the reply was a cagey "a few reasons". I'd have thought, with home advantage, the All Golds would have fancied winning this. Not displeased, though, because it's a chance for me to see rugby league at a 'new' venue - the Keepmoat athletics track. Just hoping, as a neutral, the visitors play as well as they appear to have done against Keighley last weekend.

Edited by Hopping Mad

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Anyone know why the Gloucestershire-Doncaster tie was switched? I did ask a Dons official in an email earlier this week but the reply was a cagey "a few reasons". I'd have thought, with home advantage, the All Golds would have fancied winning this. Not displeased, though, because it's a chance for me to see rugby league at a 'new' venue - the Keepmoat athletics track. Just hoping, as a neutral, the visitors play as well as they appear to have done against Keighley last weekend.

££££££

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

23 minutes ago, Bearman said:

££££££

A bit disappointing, if it is the case. Are clubs allowed to switch ties for that reason alone? In my view, All Golds had a decent chance at home. Had they won, they'd have banked the prize money and earned a stab at a lucrative tie in the fifth round. They could still win, of course, but I can't help feeling they've made this tie much tougher.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

Think they(all golds) have done the same in the next round of the ipro cup v Workington

Edited by lifer

1 hour ago, lifer said:

Think they(all golds) have done the same in the next round of the ipro cup v Workington

I think they have. Given the likely size of the crowds at the switched grounds and the cost of travel it hardly seems that Glos will be making much out of the switch but maybe every penny counts.

On 16/03/2017 at 7:41 AM, GaryO said:

Looking forward to this, considering that Haydock took 10 coach loads of speccies to London in the last round for the fixture against West Warriors, the locality of this game should ensure an even bigger following from Haydock, could they outnumber the Oldham fans?

To be fair there were around 150 Haydock fans at New River. They (and the West fans) were very noisy and in many cases very very drunk (I cannot imagine the coach trip home was much fun). Good luck to them on Saturday though.

On 16/03/2017 at 0:51 AM, jim_57 said:

Has there been any sort of effort from the Broncos to lure the Canadians who were at the Skolars game back in for this game?

Is the relationship between Skolars and Broncos healthy? Surely they coukd share some tips in such instances.

This is just impressionistic but judged on social media alone the amount of activity seems considerably less than when they played Skolars. I think there was a link up between Skolars and Toronto marketing but not sure whether that has happened this time.

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Pretty sure i saw on social media they forgot to book the ground for the RL match and the ground is now booked by someone else to host a different sporting event

Edited by elppaxr2i

24 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

Pretty sure i saw on social media they forgot to book the ground for the RL match and the ground is now booked by someone else to host a different sporting event

Thanks for shedding light. Now it makes sense. Could prove an expensive blunder!

2 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

yep, that's right. Think it wasn't the club's fault for either fixture but a new person in charge of booking events at the ground who made a double goof - that's the way I read it anyway.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DEANO said:

So the ground is booked Friday Saturday and Sunday?

They wouldn't have been able to play Friday as the visitors are part-time. It's a RFL rule/ bye law 

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wolfpack very impressive, a reflection of the money spent 

Half that of Broncos in terms of squad, allegedly. 

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/2017/03/16/toronto-wolfpack-face-toughest-match-yet-against-london-broncos.html

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

10 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Athletics track is outside the keepmoat stadium