New rugby league stadiums

5 minutes ago, NickG14 said:

How many clubs have moved to a new ground since the switch to summer? Cas and Wakefield are both leaving their grounds how many traditional stadiums are there left?

Ground Switches: Wigan, St Helens, Warrington, Hull FC, Leigh, Widnes, Huddersfield, and London Broncos. All have been good moves except for London Broncos. 

5 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Ground Switches: Wigan, St Helens, Warrington, Hull FC, Leigh, Widnes, Huddersfield, and London Broncos. All have been good moves except for London Broncos. 

Huddersfield was pre-summer and Widnes haven't moved.

Other than London I'd also classify Wigan's as being of debatable merit - unlike the others it was a move forced by finance rather than choice and the club loses out financially compared to their big stadium-owning rivals who use stadium revenues to subsidise the club. And there is the continued embarrassment of perhaps the most famous RL town in Europe having a club renting from, and being bossed around by, a third tier soccer club.

34 minutes ago, M j M said:

Other than London I'd also classify Wigan's as being of debatable merit - unlike the others it was a move forced by finance rather than choice and the club loses out financially compared to their big stadium-owning rivals who use stadium revenues to subsidise the club. And there is the continued embarrassment of perhaps the most famous RL town in Europe having a club renting from, and being bossed around by, a third tier soccer club.

Wigan did not have to sell Central Park. The bank had a problem with the Directors not the finance.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

16 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What sort of ' problem ' ? 

Dave Whelan wanted to buy Wigan RL and Central Park, then he could have his redevelopment plans (which had been published) implimented and move Latics in.

Previously Robinson had said that, following a request from Latics to play a cup game at Central Park, that no third rate soccer team is playing on this ground.

The Bank lost trust in Robinson and Rathbone and insisted that to continue doing business they had to go. (See reasons in Links below).

Robinson, who had by now created a war with himself and Whelan after Whelan had offered to buy the ground but not the club had to concede to Latics playing at Central Park or sell the ground to stick it up Whelan. Robinson chose to sell the ground and then resign.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wigan-chief-admits-false-transfer-plan-1272537.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wigan-chief-admits-false-transfer-plan-1272537.html

The fact that the club and Whelan used the same bank of course had no bearing on all of this.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

Dave Whelan wanted to buy Wigan RL and Central Park, then he could have his redevelopment plans (which had been published) implimented and move Latics in.

Previously Robinson had said that, following a request from Latics to play a cup game at Central Park, that no third rate soccer team is playing on this ground.

The Bank lost trust in Robinson and Rathbone and insisted that to continue doing business they had to go. (See reasons in Links below).

Robinson, who had by now created a war with himself and Whelan after Whelan had offered to buy the ground but not the club had to concede to Latics playing at Central Park or sell the ground to stick it up Whelan. Robinson chose to sell the ground and then resign.

The fact that the club and Whelan used the same bank of course had no bearing on all of this.

That link is completely irrelivant , so Robinson sold Central Park and pocketed the money ? , how much did Tesco give him ? 

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

Widnes was rebuilt into modern stadium though...

Yep therefore didnt move to a new ground....

Leeds are in the process of rebuilding 2 stands to go with the carneige stand...its still Headingley.

Also liberal use of the term 'modern' 8)

2 hours ago, M j M said:

The ground is owned by a seperate company that Whelan owns.

Wigan RL have a long lease and neither club could afford the upkeep alone.

TBF whelan bends over backwards to accommodate RL with 2 games being played on the same day! Which other footy club would agree to that! 

The main reason soccer takes priority is the FA being stricter around re arrangements.... the RFL are too liberal and should put their foot down more!

"......the RFL are too liberal and should put their foot down more!" :biggrin:

They do this very well when it comes to clubs' and players' punishments and you can't their anus for the windblown dirt when it comes to standing up for TGG!

Sorry that's another thread, shouldn't Salford have been counted in where Widnes shouldn't?

Sorry Viking's fans if that sounded like Mo and SL leaving you out again! (Yet another thread, I think I've caught Parky Syndrome!:O)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

. All have been good moves except for London Broncos.  Why was it a bad move for the Broncos...Easier access for Northern fans, sharing with a partner RU team rather than a giant, cheaper, more suitable capacity....

West of the Pennines, Widnes are the only club not to have moved I think, built a new stadium on the site of the old one, not even the grass remains. Saints, Wigan, Leigh, Warrington, Salford all have new grounds. Rochdale moved to Spotland, Oldham & Swinton lost their homes and have been on the move ever since. None of the "Cumbrian" clubs have moved. Halifax, Doncaster, Hull, Hull KR, Dewsbury & Hunslet have moved. I think mostly those moves were more post Taylor report than a result of summer rugby.

17 minutes ago, headtackle said:

And now we have the game played in a load of plastic cloned, half empty, souless, atmosphere lacking stadiums.

the old stadiums all had faults but they were all individual with noise. Now at many just banks and banks of empty seats.

The old stadiums were also half empty but instead of the  new plastic seats it was old, decrepit open terracing accompanied by the mandatory stinking toilets ( if they were posh enough to have them).

Bless the good old days.

I think the old grounds are the best for atmosphere and nostalgia. One of my favorites is cougar park,Keighley. Just think of the old grounds we no longer have-wilderspool,the willows,watersheddings to name a few.Its sad but nothing lasts forever,people will always cherish their memories at these old grounds.

1 minute ago, Cardypaul said:

Just an interesting question how many clubs now actually own their own ground? I am guessing the answer is not many and is this something we should be concerned about?

Concerned or not , there isnt a lot the vast majority could do about it , and apart from the top of the football pyramid , most other sports are in the same situation including in the US and Aussie 

1 hour ago, Cardypaul said:

Just an interesting question how many clubs now actually own their own ground? I am guessing the answer is not many and is this something we should be concerned about?

Top flight:

Leeds, Saints, Cas (owned directly by the operating company)

Warrington (via a holding company)

Hudds have a 20% stake in their stadium owning company

Hull, Widnes, Catalans, Leigh are (ultimately or directly) council/authority-owned

Wakefield and Salford rent from third parties (although the council have a stake in the Salford stadium as well I think?)

Wigan rent from a football club

9 hours ago, M j M said:

Top flight:

Hull, Widnes, Catalans, Leigh are (ultimately or directly) council/authority-owned

Wakefield and Salford rent from third parties (although the council have a stake in the Salford stadium as well I think?)

The AJ Bell is owned by a holding company which is 50/50 owned by Peel Holdings and Salford Council.

9 hours ago, M j M said:

Top flight:

funny how most of the so called super league clubs dont have there own stadium:P .

59 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Yeah almost like most clubs don't have a spare £20 million knocking around! 

we dont have a spare 20 million either, but we do have a proper league stadium that belongs to the club,but the so called elite dont want use in super league.

4 hours ago, Samdog3554 said:

we dont have a spare 20 million either, but we do have a proper league stadium that belongs to the club,but the so called elite dont want use in super league.

And here I though it was just RU fans who were "chippy" on here!

The RFL minimum standards are pathetic as they are! If I pay £20 for a ticket I expect to be able to relieve myself in a toilet, not against a wall. I expect a roof over my head if it is raining and I expect to be able to wear shoes not wellies!

I happen to enjoy the wall as a toilet, wearing wellies to a match, taking my dog along,; but not when I am charged £20 or more for the experience.

Archived