I thought it was April 1st when I read this. But no…

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

George Osborne to become editor of London Evening Standard
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39304944

He's a very busy guy.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Fair play to the lad, he's only young, plenty of time to get his teeth into a new career.

Will be an interesting by-election, the good people of Knutsford have had some rotton luck with MPs, there will be a by-election won't there......................

I thought I heard ITV news say that he's keeping the day job. Nice little earner. Recession? What recession? Who cares? Not Gideon.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

30 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

I thought I heard ITV news say that he's keeping the day job. Nice little earner. Recession? What recession? Who cares? Not Gideon.

He is, and the after hours speaking job, and the one day a month down the city with his mate, or so I've heard so far!

Busy lad, makes you wonder which takes priority when push comes to shove!

He now has six jobs I think?

1 is unpaid (Northern Powerhouse), blackrock and speaking tours have netted him around £1.2m.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

He could become a right royal pain in the arris for the pro-Brexit Tory leadership though. Hell hath no fury like a tory with ambitions to be leader scorned.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

He could become a right royal pain in the arris for the pro-Brexit Tory leadership though. Hell hath no fury like a tory with ambitions to be leader scorned.

He's the type of Machiavellian politician who will happily rip you apart behind the scenes with a little smile for you in public. I don't expect a full-on assault on May and Brexit from him but persistent little undermining snipes that get right in the view of a lot of people reading the paper on the way home. 

I think it was a very clever appointment putting him in as editor. It'll certainly get attention!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

He's the type of Machiavellian politician who will happily rip you apart behind the scenes with a little smile for you in public. I don't expect a full-on assault on May and Brexit from him but persistent little undermining snipes that get right in the view of a lot of people reading the paper on the way home. 

I think it was a very clever appointment putting him in as editor. It'll certainly get attention!

On that note:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Statistic: Earnings of Members of Parliament outside of parlimentary duties in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2014, by party (in 1,000 GBP) | Statista

(Mind you, Gordon Brown was paid a total of £962,516 in 2014 on top of his parliamentary wages, and his £100,000 for two speeches takes some beating.)

36 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Statistic: Earnings of Members of Parliament outside of parlimentary duties in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2014, by party (in 1,000 GBP) | Statista

(Mind you, Gordon Brown was paid a total of £962,516 in 2014 on top of his parliamentary wages, and his £100,000 for two speeches takes some beating.)

Poor statistical analysis; would make much more sense if it was average per MP by party.

In our brave, new, post-truth world, I think every day is April 1st.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

2 hours ago, Jasper said:

Gordon Brown donated the income from his book deal to charity.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Plenty in the Labour Party have more than one job. The difference is that they do none of them properly. Plenty of left wing posters on here have more than one job...their normal one and the much more time consuming and hugely entertaining one of repeatedly starting  threads about  the Conservatives.  Keep chatting amongst yourselves, lads, no one else but me is listening! ?????

7 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

When even Guido is questioning your impartiality then you know something may be wrong:

In relation to the 8th point, do we actually own much anymore in the UK? I think it was BR who mentioned on another thread that the G20 haven't called for anti-protectionism measures; just my opinion of course but we are utterly naive to sell the Queen's jewels to the highest bidder to make a quick billion for the few.

Archived