Franchise the Championship

With Toronto looking to be head and shoulders above the rest of league 1 both on and off the field and Toulouse coming through league 1 last year should the RFL look to make entry to the Championship franchise based?

This would give any well run and financed new clubs with realistic ambitions of reaching Super League a higher level of competition and let them start a step closer, which may encourage investors to get involved.

It may also help raise the standard of this competition as I think Toronto would be up there competing near the top.

League 1 could  then be used for any clubs who aren't ready to climb the ladder and it could be more competitive as teams wouldn't be entering and thrashing teams as these teams would go straight to the Championship. Any teams who are unsuccessful with their Championship applications could be placed in League 1 until they are ready to enter the Championship.

With no promotion from League 1 this could allow dual registration to be used in this league also

While I'm not sure about franchising the championship, I do think there must be an agreement as to where competitions such as France's Elite 1 and any new teams fit into the structure. That is, are they equal to or below League 1.  Or do we like the somewhat flexible nature of the system that it can be adapted to fit different clubs needs such as French teams that don't want to come into the RFL.

I think this could work if you start of with say ten teams each in Super League and the Championship then gradually expand, both with the likes of Coventry and Newcastle but also with clubs like Carcassonne and Montreal

7 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

KInd of. Teams wouldn't be able to apply straight to Super League though but they could get promoted from the Championship as I would have p and r between SL and Championship

So the proposal is really stopping League One clubs from gaining automatic promotion to Championship 

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Doesn't make sense to me.

If the middle division is Franchised it makes all the divisions essentially franchises as I'm assuming there's no promotion or relegation to that division. 

In essence there already is franchising - for the top 40 clubs in SL to L1.

I do think looking at what french RU are doing in terms of promotion between 3rd and 2nd divisions is worth looking at. 2 up 2 down. 1 purely on merit the other as a "wild card" specifically from the north of France (a place with 3, soon to be only 2, RU clubs). Could be adapted/developed for promotion to the championship. 

6 hours ago, JM2010 said:

With Toronto looking to be head and shoulders above the rest of league 1 both on and off the field and Toulouse coming through league 1 last year should the RFL look to make entry to the Championship franchise based?

This would give any well run and financed new clubs with realistic ambitions of reaching Super League a higher level of competition and let them start a step closer, which may encourage investors to get involved.

It may also help raise the standard of this competition as I think Toronto would be up there competing near the top.

League 1 could  then be used for any clubs who aren't ready to climb the ladder and it could be more competitive as teams wouldn't be entering and thrashing teams as these teams would go straight to the Championship. Any teams who are unsuccessful with their Championship applications could be placed in League 1 until they are ready to enter the Championship.

With no promotion from League 1 this could allow dual registration to be used in this league also

What a load of rubbish. I bet YOUR club isn't in League 1? Why not just have a SL with all the clubs RL want and screw the other fans. People like you make me puke

I have probably asked this question before, but, what would happen if Sky went bankrupt? How many soccer clubs would be able to support themselves, and what would happen to the entire RFL, as they are not open to broadcasting rights from any other company?

12 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have probably asked this question before, but, what would happen if Sky went bankrupt? How many soccer clubs would be able to support themselves, and what would happen to the entire RFL, as they are not open to broadcasting rights from any other company?

There'd be a fair few different TV companies willing to invest in the sport because they'd get a return on their money through advertisements. Might not be as much, but definitely enough to keep the sport going full time at SL level.

No need to panic.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

In terms current clubs from different league structures entering ours (like France), you could always have them playoff for the second promotion spot that year. 

I like the on-field element and so do many of the fans. I think the licensing fans tend to want to rush expansion and that in itself is causing it to slow down. It's putting off others.

I feel like the game has mended a lot of bridges in the last few years by bringing back a route to the top. The fear of no new clubs being able to enter (or unwilling to) has been proven false. Let's just stick to one strategy!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Until we get into the position of 12 clubs (or whatever the magic number is)of being qualified to be at the top level,P and R should stay .If that is in the present system or a straight one up one down,I am still 50/50 as to the best way forward.

If licensing is to be brought back,the minimum requirements should be the ability to fund a salary cap of about £2.5m,a ground fit for purpose and average crowds of 10,000 plus.

I support a club who has a very slim chance of reaching the top level,but whilst the chance is there there is hope.If we have 12 clubs who meet the above criteria,I would gladly accept it as the game overall would be moving in the right direction.

At present Huddersfield,Salford,Wakefield,Widnes and Leigh fall well short of what we require from our elite clubs.

57 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

At present Huddersfield,Salford,Wakefield,Widnes and Leigh fall well short of what we require from our elite clubs.

What is your defination of an elite club??

Does elite not also incorporate stadia??  If yes, then add Cas that to list.

Being "elite" encompasses a whole varying amount of tick boxes and it is turely unfair to single out HG, SR, WT, WV & LC as not being elite.

They are more elite than HKR, BB, FR, LB, TO and anybody else in the championship as they won enough matches to be in super league for 2017.

Might be different in 2018 though.

Going back to the opening post, it appears that the suggestion is predicated on the notion that it would be better for Toronto (and, by extension, other similar ventures) to start one step nearer to the SL.

I think that's where the idea is flawed. Because I certainly don't think that Toronto could be ready for SL in a 12 month period. Heck, I think they'll be struggling to get everything in place in 24 months, albeit it seems they'll give it a decent shot.

No, I think the current system is just fine for the time being. Any new club has to spend two years in development - which gives time for them to set in place their player development, juniors, schools, marketing, infrastructure and everything else that needs to be in place before they can mix it at the top level.

I gave Cas the benefit of the doubt due to the new stadium.They are on the crest of a wave at the moment and I hope their progress continues.

If we did get into a situation where we had 12 elite clubs,that would mean some clubs still having poor seasons but at the same time maintaining the bulk of their crowd base,such as Leeds.

Archived