Midlands League 2017

On 21/07/2017 at 7:47 AM, Marauder said:

Since 2004 I've heard all the hype about expansion and I've seen umpteen none starters simply because it's one or two men and a dog who want to run a team, they put everything down on paper, make it look rosy and simply hope that enough players will turn up to play the game.

I could respond to this in a number of ways except to guarantee that my club are more organised than yours.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/07/2017 at 11:13 PM, bbfaz said:

Western Premier             Eastern Premier
            |                            |
    +-------+-------+          +---------+---------+
    |       |       |          |         |         |
  Wales 1  SW 1   West 1   Midlands 1   East 1   London 1
  Wales 2  SW 2   West 2   Midlands 2   East 2   London 2

They had 14 expressions of interest last month.

• Western: Bath RL, Cheltenham, Cornish Rebels, Devon, Oxford Cavs, Somerset, Swindon, Torfaen
  • Eastern: Coventry Dragons, Northampton, Hemel, Wests, Chargers, Skolars A.

Swindon are interested but probably not until 2019 at earliest. Planning to stay playing in the West of England next season. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Swindon are interested but probably not until 2019 at earliest. Planning to stay playing in the West of England next season. 

They expressed an interest, they knew the timeframes.

6 hours ago, bbfaz said:

They expressed an interest, they knew the timeframes.

Expressed an interest in the idea but not the timing. Currently, we have never won the West of England. Hopefully that will change this season. We would then like to win it again because the committee want to keep building the foundations before building upwards.

We may be fielding close to 40 players each weekend but our 2nds only won their first game yesterday. 

Next year is too early for SSG.

45 minutes ago, bowes said:

Not sure clubs waiting around til 2019 is an option because I don't know how well Devon and Cornwall will survive two seasons without a leagueI 

While I understand your point, pushing clubs into something they're not ready for will also not work. We (Swindon) may have a squad big enough to run two teams but the West is struggling. 

Portsmouth have cancelled home games. Bristol, Southampton, Somerset and Gloucester have all pulled out of games due to lack of players. Bath RL are doing ok but have a very small pool of players while Bath Romans have pulled out of this season but say they'll be back. I'm not so sure.

Oxford, Cheltenham and Forest seem to be doing OK.

I think in 2018 the West of England should be Swindon St George, Oxford Cavaliers, Cheltenham Phoenix, Forest Bulldogs, Bath RL, Bristol Sonics, Devon Sharks, Cornwall Rebels and Swindon St George A. 

Hopefully Somerset Vikings, Dorset Giants and Teignmouth Trojans will feel they could commit to that too, giving the West 12 teams.

If Gloucester want in then, maybe Oxford could play in Midlands? 

Who knows? I'm just thinking out loud.

PS Redruth to Swindon or Forest is a 3.5hr trip (on a good day) 

Yeah if Devon and Cornish Rebels can be accommodated in the West of England then that would seem a fair compromise. Presumably instead of Southampton and Portsmouth.

I think the eastern division of the Southern competition has to go ahead next season as the clubs are already at the right level and the current set up has already failed due to standard imbalances. This isn't so much the case in the West, the issue is more with the South West.

23 hours ago, bbfaz said:

I could respond to this in a number of ways except to guarantee that my club are more organised than yours.

Where better organised today than what we have been in the last 13 years, we've now got total harmony on the committee ad the club is attracting new players from afar, we've also attracted a young coach (Danny Addy, Hull KR) who has turned down payment because he wants to gain coaching experience, we've got our pre-season games sorted with the first run out in a couple of weeks.

generation battle 1.jpg

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

6 hours ago, Defender1 said:

I don't believe it a Winter team putting on a BBQ in the Summer!? 

Hope it goes well I will try to get across 

Should go OK. we've had loads wanting to have a run out, many who've had a season away from the game and seem to be itching for a game.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2017 at 10:51 AM, bowes said:

The midlands league has been split back into two divisions:

Premier Division

Coventry Dragons

Telford Raiders

Leamington Royals

Northampton Demons

Leicester City Roosters

Sherwood Wolf Hunt

Division 1

Birmingham Bulldogs

NEW Ravens

Boston Buccaneers

Derby City

Nottingham Outlaws A

I believe there is also a development league (primarily for reserve teams) but I don't know who will be in that league yet

Unfortunately it looks like it did not last, where do you go now Bowes?

1 minute ago, Defender1 said:

Unfortunately it looks like it did not last, where do you go now Bowes?

Probably something like:

Southern Rugby League Competition (East)

Coventry Dragons

Northampton Demons

Hemel Stags A

London Chargers

Wests Warriors

London Skolars A

Midlands League

Leamington Royals

Leicester City Roosters

Telford Raiders

Sherwood Wolf Hunt

Birmingham Bulldogs

Derby City

North East Worcestershire Ravens

Boston Buccaneers

Possibly you'd put Boston in the East division though and Nottingham Outlaws A may or may not be able to play at this level.

Archived