Cup Ties with less than 200?

A quick look at the attendance figures showed the oxford v south wales game and the Swinton v Skolars game with less than 200 at the matches.

If this is a split gate, is it financially viable for these games to take place?  You have to pay pitch hire, staff, players, transport, etc.

Should we be looking at double headers or the option for teams not to play in the cup.

Or play them as warmup matches to Super League games?

From a business case these games don't seem healthy for a club,

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

If this is a split gate, is it financially viable for these games to take place?  You have to pay pitch hire, staff, players, transport, etc.

Gloucester have recently agreed to switch their L1 Cup QF to Workington for this reason. They have been getting double figure crowds and due to the distance Workington were entitled to an overnight stay under the bye laws, paid for out of the match income. Gloucester are unable to pay those expenses based on recent crowd figures, in fact they would have made a loss before the game even started, so have given up home advantage for financial reasons.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

24 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

There isn't exactly a 'buzz' around the competition and the sponsors could help with that. All very low key.

I know it isn't the be-all and end-all, but I think Ladbrokes* do a very decent job on social media of promoting the Challenge Cup.

I'm not sure there is much they can do about tiny crowds at the likes of Oxford.

*Should declare an interest. They are an ex-employer, although I can't say I was sad to leave.

Would a magic weekend type Challenge Cup variation work? i.e. have a day out for all the "smaller" teams in one ground? I would personally watch something like that to see some teams I wouldn't normally see.

Siddal had a very healthy crowd for the game against Toronto.It was larger than the majority of ties in the last 2 rounds including the local professional team.

If actual crowds were published i think you would find the crowds in the conference were generally higher than Championship 1.

3 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

A quick look at the attendance figures showed the oxford v south wales game and the Swinton v Skolars game with less than 200 at the matches.

Should we be looking at double headers or the option for teams not to play in the cup.

A game that draws 200 fans is basically Family and friends of the players.

School teams can draw more than that in many areas.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

The Challenge Cup is simply in the wrong place - especially with this hybrid set-up we have at the moment. If you are hell bent on keeping the final in August then you should be playing rounds bi-weekly during June and July. It would also potentially help with widening the gap between the split and the super 8s fixtures being sorted. Either way, it has to have some momentum to it. 

Why are we playing ties now 5 months from the actual final date? Who can get enthused about that? It is like shops putting Christmas decorations out in August in terms of apathy. 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Toulouse ? 

Not sure Batley will have lost any money but I reckon Toulouses complete disrespect for our traditional competition has cost the RFL a few quid.  If they were only going to play their 2nd string (and they openly said they would a few weeks ago) then maybe we should not allow them to enter next season as a punishment.  If any SL team decided to do that then something would be said.  One of the multitude of excuses given by their 'fans' was that all the regulars were at the Carnival.  Wonder how many of the 150 were Batley fans.

Here we go again .....

6 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

Not sure Batley will have lost any money but I reckon Toulouses complete disrespect for our traditional competition has cost the RFL a few quid.  If they were only going to play their 2nd string (and they openly said they would a few weeks ago) then maybe we should not allow them to enter next season as a punishment.  If any SL team decided to do that then something would be said.  One of the multitude of excuses given by their 'fans' was that all the regulars were at the Carnival.  Wonder how many of the 150 were Batley fans.

It was streamed on periscope by a Toulouse fan and the viewing figure at the bottom corner was more than the actual attendance

IMG_0583.JPG

6 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

That's said to hear - we would have got more than that at New River (although a expect 0 away fans a problem for heartland v non heartland L1 games). We benefit from die hard fans who travel and London based northern expats in London

2 hours ago, DemonUK said:

I hope you will be saying the same thing if Leeds draw a L1 side and put out a second string team?

6 hours ago, Jarv said:

Would a magic weekend type Challenge Cup variation work? i.e. have a day out for all the "smaller" teams in one ground? I would personally watch something like that to see some teams I wouldn't normally see.

Think this is a good idea -like you say I can't see these teams getting  any more fans in-with Swinton game London  wouldn't have many  going and I think Swinton  rely on the away support to boost their  crowd-I've been  this season and you wouldn't know  there was a game on-no signage anywhere _it's a shame good  team playing nice rugby and good  little stadium 

10 hours ago, DemonUK said:

SL teams do it all the time dont see why its an issue....lets face it you create a system like soccer where a top 4 finish is where the money is then you cant argue when clubs focus on this as their goal.

Also toulouse blooded youth which again benefits RL!!!

Dont see what attendances have to do with playing in a cup competition! 

Amateur clubs loose money for the honour to participate year on year. 

Top clubs get poor attendances as well! 

Knock out Cup competitions arnt the draw they once where. 

For me the semis should be a double header at a neutral venue, this event could be marketed to smaller expansion areas and magic be left alone in a large venue!

Even if it was Toulouse 2nd string an attendance of 150 is less than 8% of their home attendances which is shocking.

i think that shows their fans aren't loyal & if they lost a few games they would just walk away. Surely a sign that Super League isn't for them, end up near bottom of league & 90% of original fans won't be bothered to turn up.

2 hours ago, MikeFletchersBarmyArmy said:

Even if it was Toulouse 2nd string an attendance of 150 is less than 8% of their home attendances which is shocking.

i think that shows their fans aren't loyal & if they lost a few games they would just walk away. Surely a sign that Super League isn't for them, end up near bottom of league & 90% of original fans won't be bothered to turn up.

No it does not. It shows that perhaps the club didn't bother advertising it at  all or that season ticket holders did not want to pay. Catalans have had gates as low as 1000-1500 for early Challenge Cup ties before they reduced their entry to the last 16.

Making some kind of half baked assumption about fans of a club that has been around for 80+ years is completely unfounded.

What do they claim their fanbase to be? 2k

and less than 8% turn up of that fanbase, fans of clubs are normally aware of their fixtures. 

looking at other attendances indicate the drop is 50% at most for other teams. Not 92%

the core of supporters of clubs normally turn up no matter who they play or price. Hence you don't normally get more than 50% of fanbase not turning up.

is this Toulouse record lowest attendance?

Archived