Valuation Of Programmes

Hi, I inherited when my dad passed 7 years ago his vast collection of programmes they are boxed and the good old man had the very wise for sight to catalogue them all for me. I'm not really wanting to sell them but they're just in boxes in my back room and although I dream of my nephew becoming a rugby mad prop forward... the signs aren't there at the moment lol. I'm not looking to make a quick buck these were daddy Keks prized possessions and if I knew they were going to be appriciated would happily let them go. All I want is a valuation if someone was willing to look through the lists ( I think there's a few A4 pages so probably looking at 150+ programmes) and I will decide from there whether I will donate or sell to good homes/collectors/museum. If someone could point me in the right direction just want to do good by the old man 

Cheers 

Little Kek ?

Tricky commodity, programmes. As with all collectables, they're worth what someone is willing to pay. A particular programme might be worthless to one collector but, for various reasons, priceless to another. One thing is certain: the collecting market is shrinking rapidly. Very few under-40s collect programmes. I hear stories of people giving up trying to sell collections, having discovered they can barely give them away, and dumping them in the bin. Dealers will give you a fraction of the value because they need to make a decent profit, though a dealer is much more likely to take the lot off your hands.

What era are your dad's programmes from? Are they 'big'/significant games or run-of-the-mill fixtures? Defunct clubs or clubs still with us? Condition - no writing, stains or dog-ears - is most important. I'd be interested to see the list, certainly.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Tricky commodity, programmes. As with all collectables, they're worth what someone is willing to pay. A particular programme might be worthless to one collector but, for various reasons, priceless to another. One thing is certain: the collecting market is shrinking rapidly. Very few under-40s collect programmes. I hear stories of people giving up trying to sell collections, having discovered they can barely give them away, and dumping them in the bin. Dealers will give you a fraction of the value because they need to make a decent profit, though a dealer is much more likely to take the lot off your hands.

What era are your dad's programmes from? Are they 'big'/significant games or run-of-the-mill fixtures? Defunct clubs or clubs still with us? Condition - no writing, stains or dog-ears - is most important. I'd be interested to see the list, certainly.

so would we all .....just paste the list on here for everyone to ponder ......

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Age, Condition, Team/match and interest are the four factors which affect the price.

The older the programme the potentially higher the price, for really old programmes even the condition isn't that important. Old probably means pre 60s, not as some think the start of SuperLeague!

If you look at eBay you will get an idea of the value asked and you Will also see the lack of interest in 99% of the programmes available but that 1% could bring a few hundred or more if two or more collectors are interested. 

Sorry been working all weekend and not had time to put up listings when I'm day off on Thursday I will get to grips with it and type up the lists I'm not sure how legible his handwriting will be on here. Thanks for you honesty guys and taking your time out. If it turns out worthless but it will be looked after and enjoyed by someone I'd rather that that being sat collecting dust in old tomato boxes in my spare room x 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to sound critical but it's you that asked for help whilst giving no information whatsoever . . We are all still waiting for a clue as to what you have ? ? , my estimate for what you have so far after the 8 posts .  A box and 150 programmes 15 quid the lot ( including the box ) and that's delivered by yourself to the buyer 

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Excuse me you snarky sod. I didn't realise that I had to scrape to your demands. I work 70 hour weeks and it's been busy. Didn't realise you were poised at your keyboard for my reply. Who do you think you are speaking to someone like that??? I did say I needed to speak to my sister also and I didn't know what I wanted to do and all of this was sensitive for me. You can go whistle now you ignorant git!!! I don't know why in a month of Sundays you believed me to be someone who could be condisended and bullied but you picked the wrong girl. Now nice one, top one, do one mate. 

For the people with an ounce of patience.  Thank you please bear with me and I will PM you individually. 

it is quite a task to list 150 programmes and harder still when they have sentimental value

The problem you might find is that people on here are only likely to want one or two at most and if you were to try and sell them here or on ebay,  you might quickly find the rarer ones are sold for less than they are worth and there is limited interest in the majority

if your father was a follower of one club, then seeing if they have a club forum, may put you in touch with someone who would welcome them all. This may not be the best solution financially but the best chance of finding a wanted home for them.

I have built up quite an individual collection over the years but now wish I had less and would love the idea of passing them to kids who would be fascinated by them. I also accept the prospect is remote and certainly not my own kids

Good luck in finding a suitable buyer

• 2 weeks later...

Sent you a PM.  Sure you'll get some helpful input from some on here, and likely get anything rare snapped uppretty quickly if you're lucky enough to have anything and be willing to sell (just don't plan to retire off the proceeds!).  As a few others have said, best to give a bit more info on clubs involved, era, etc (if anyone knowsany further info, would be nice if this was shared too).

ntw

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for you patience.

I'm sorry I haven't replied till now. I dug out the lists photocopied them then instantly lost them! I've just rephotocopied. 

If you could let me know your kind thoughts that would be lovely. If your going to be rude please don't bother I don't have the time or inclination to take on muppets. 

As as I said I'm 50/50 whether to sell at all and I also have a sister to run it by. I would also only sell/give to people who will genuinely want them for their own collections and not sell them on. These are my dads treasured possessions and I would rather keep them unused than someone profiteering off them. 

Thank you you all for your replies and PMs all advice welcome.

Little Kek xx

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

IMG_1652.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

If I've got any die hard hornets fans also I have team sheets for games that I've discovered today. I think I'll probably contact the club about these. Also have quite a few disaplinary letters aswell ??? hahaha haha think I'll keep them though because they make me laugh so much and they're quite beautiful little letters ?

• 2 weeks later...

HK....I've had a look at your lists

Its certainly an interesting collection

Has a few one's that you might get a few quid for plus a lot of stuff that's already out there

Best of luck selling

As a tip, list it as one lot on eBay and put a big price on it

You probably won't sell it (but if you do, result). People will then contact you if they want individual items

Best wishes

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived