Match Thread. Featherstone Rovers v Toulouse Sunday 26th March 2017

marklaspalmas

WEve not played these since 2011 when we destroyed them 90-10 and they dropped out of the league. A different proposition now.

It's a bit early for team news but it'll be interesting to see who's back in from Leeeds bearing in mind the likes of Duckworth, Cooper, etc went ok at Bradford.

I expect Carlile and Thackers to be back too, so if Knowles is fit as well, major selection headache for JS.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge game this. Toulouse's results are a bit up and down but their only real flop came in a mudbath against Sheffield and they have struggled with injuries. Ignore their Cup result last week as they rested 6 of their best players, had two injured and one suspended, by all accounts eight of those nine will be back this week.

Obviously we can ignore our result last week too. I don't think I've ever seen a team be pulled up for forward passes from acting half back six times in one game, and I somehow don't think that will happen with Carlile back this week. Feel a bit sorry for Davies who was thrust into a role which we all know isn't ideal, he's been tremendous for us since joining and I hope he isn't asked to play 9 again unless it's an extreme emergency.

Duckworth apparently re-injured his ankle and Tagg also hurt his ankle on Sunday. Suspect we might have Handley and Briscoe on the wings again, Scott Turner has been desperately unlucky but I suppose part of the idea of having competition for places is that the incumbents have to keep playing well to keep their place. It seems strange that after a few years of being light in the three quarters we have strength in depth with plenty of options at centre and wing even without Misi.

Heard Thacks did his groin in during training and staff hoped they had caught it just in time stopping it being a lot serious,Keel was just rested so he will be back.I feel with Toulouse resting nine players they realise it is both Teams most important game so far as Fev if they win will put a bit of daylight between them so we are in for a really tight game imo with probably the result in doubt until the last 5 or 10 mins.Weather is predicted to be dry and mild so hope our supporters turn out in force.

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Huge game this. Toulouse's results are a bit up and down but their only real flop came in a mudbath against Sheffield and they have struggled with injuries. Ignore their Cup result last week as they rested 6 of their best players, had two injured and one suspended, by all accounts eight of those nine will be back this week.

Obviously we can ignore our result last week too. I don't think I've ever seen a team be pulled up for forward passes from acting half back six times in one game, and I somehow don't think that will happen with Carlile back this week. Feel a bit sorry for Davies who was thrust into a role which we all know isn't ideal, he's been tremendous for us since joining and I hope he isn't asked to play 9 again unless it's an extreme emergency.

Duckworth apparently re-injured his ankle and Tagg also hurt his ankle on Sunday. Suspect we might have Handley and Briscoe on the wings again, Scott Turner has been desperately unlucky but I suppose part of the idea of having competition for places is that the incumbents have to keep playing well to keep their place. It seems strange that after a few years of being light in the three quarters we have strength in depth with plenty of options at centre and wing even without Misi.

From where l stood I thought many of the calls for "forward pass" were harsh  and seemed to be influenced by the chorus of forward from the Bradford fans.  It was quite telling that they failed to advise the ref  in a similar manner when it involved Bradford. Unfortunately the ref also seemed to miss a fair bit including two good tries and a drop out that became a 20mtr restart. Would be nice to have a dry pitch  and a decent ref on Sunday.

19 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

Heard Thacks did his groin in during training and staff hoped they had caught it just in time stopping it being a lot serious,Keel was just rested so he will be back.I feel with Toulouse resting nine players they realise it is both Teams most important game so far as Fev if they win will put a bit of daylight between them so we are in for a really tight game imo with probably the result in doubt until the last 5 or 10 mins.Weather is predicted to be dry and mild so hope our supporters turn out in force.

We need Thacks for the London home game in a fortnight. If there's any doubt about him I'd rather rest him for the Toulouse and Dewsbury games, which would also give Briggs chance to come back to his best. Remember he took a few games to reach his peak after coming back from injury last year, not that he's necessarily been injured this year, but looking back to his injuries over his previous spells at the club he has always taken a few games to reach his peak.

We should be able to rely on the strength of the squad to win the next two games, even without our most influential player at this moment in time.

4 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

We need Thacks for the London home game in a fortnight.

If Thacks is fit we need to play him this weekend, I'm actually more confident that we'll beat London at home than I am that we'll beat Toulouse at home. London have by all accounts been far from impressive for most of the season so far, the addition of Sammut looks to have had the usual effect ie he does lots of good individual things but the team seems to suffer. Toulouse seem to play some good stuff especially when they have a full team out which hasn't been the case in a lot of their games, and Jonno Ford looks a quality player every time I see him.

16 minutes ago, gingdong said:

its a long long season and briggs will get plenty game time im sure

aye, but it may not be with Fev

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

As usual will be in the Last orders at 2o clock sunday.Met a few from this forum at matches but would like to chew the fat with any one else so I know from a visual point of view who I speak to .I will be wearing a green and white New York Jets Hat.Feel free to spprosch me (as long as you dont want to chin me).

If FEV don't win i will show my a-se in Woolworths window( OOPS) I dont think we have played to our potential this season apart from Batley away the squad looks better than last year but have not gelled 100% so far.Looking forward to a dry pitch and a bit of sun also no wind would be nice.FEV to win by 18.

44 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

So, who's going to do the goal kicking?

No Knowles, no Briggs.

Maybe Aston but he could well start on the bench

Hardman? Handley?

Looks like Hardman. Why Briggs isn't included goodness only knows. Is he injured?

2 hours ago, gingdong said:

if it int it int do we want top 4 or finish 6th and say well we havent made it but we gave young Johnston a run out. Know what i prefer

thought we were talking about Briggs

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Archived