WHO'S NEXT FOR THE HOT SEAT

graham fisher

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be no shortage of applicants. We have a good solid club and this position will attract some interesting candidates I'm sure. Our current position in the division will not be an overnight fix but is certainly recoverable under sound guidance. Don't forget this was Glenn's first senior coaching role and he took on a pretty tough challenge for job 1. We need somebody with a balance of experience at top class level and somebody with a point to prove. Paul Anderson or Franny Cummins would fit the profile. But would they be affordable?

18 minutes ago, NickD said:

I vote for BSJ and Coolie. Think they'd do a cracking job. 

The Clough and Taylor of RL?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Sorry but I think that going for such well known names is wide of the mark. One of GM's key weaknesses in my opinion was a lack of knowledge of the Championship; the players are different, have a different culture; the requirements of part-time training and coaching are entirely different; and he needs the right contacts within all levels of the game, not just old SL mates. AND, we are still operating within a tight budget, so the new coach will need to be able to operate within such constraints as well as not costing the earth himself.

One name being kicked around some time ago when we thought that GM might leave was Stuart Dickens, and I reckon he is an example of the type of coach that we need. He is only one though, and I'm sure that plenty of ambitious people will be putting their applications forward.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sorry but I think that going for such well known names is wide of the mark. One of GM's key weaknesses in my opinion was a lack of knowledge of the Championship; the players are different, have a different culture; the requirements of part-time training and coaching are entirely different; and he needs the right contacts within all levels of the game, not just old SL mates. AND, we are still operating within a tight budget, so the new coach will need to be able to operate within such constraints as well as not costing the earth himself.

One name being kicked around some time ago when we thought that GM might leave was Stuart Dickens, and I reckon he is an example of the type of coach that we need. He is only one though, and I'm sure that plenty of ambitious people will be putting their applications forward.

Stu dickens good shout

John kear is busy unfortunately ;)

I'd love to see the list of runners & riders who's interested in the job

Me & BSJ could sit in on the interviews maybe :)

I was chatting to John Kear a couple of weeks ago and he was saying that the one thing he really doesn't miss is night-time training.

The logistical and organisational difficulties are hard for us to understand unless we have done it ourselves. The coach gets just a couple of 2 hour sessions every week to get his ideas across, develop defensive structures, attacking strategies, teal structures etc. The difference between that and full-time training and coaching is simply enormous, and anyone who thinks this coaching lark is a piece of cake is delusional.

6 minutes ago, coolie said:

Stu dickens good shout

John kear is busy unfortunately ;)

I'd love to see the list of runners & riders who's interested in the job

Me & BSJ could sit in on the interviews maybe :)

I think that I would rather leave it to people who know what they are doing.

I agree to a point BSJ. One of GM's key weaknesses was his knowledge of Championship RL. But GM had no experience of coaching at senior level prior to coming to Dewsbury. His playing experience was unquestionable at SL Level. I don't see why an ex player at Championship Level would offer anything on the positive side other than having connections at that level. We are competing in a division which is highly competitive and we need somebody with experience at a senior level. MS will be very aware of "been there, tried that" with GM as an inexperienced coach. I don't beleive he will go down that route again, certainly not now with what's at stake. Only my opinion though.

5 minutes ago, YOUNG UN said:

I agree to a point BSJ. One of GM's key weaknesses was his knowledge of Championship RL. But GM had no experience of coaching at senior level prior to coming to Dewsbury. His playing experience was unquestionable at SL Level. I don't see why an ex player at Championship Level would offer anything on the positive side other than having connections at that level. We are competing in a division which is highly competitive and we need somebody with experience at a senior level. MS will be very aware of "been there, tried that" with GM as an inexperienced coach. I don't beleive he will go down that route again, certainly not now with what's at stake. Only my opinion though.

Yes I know what you mean but "experienced" coaches who have worked only with full-time players don't really have an understanding of what is involved in getting the best out of a part-time squad, in my opinion. That is the key to this appointment, someone who understands the needs, and limitations, of clubs like ours.

Just now, Blind side johnny said:

Yes I know what you mean but "experienced" coaches who have worked only with full-time players don't really have an understanding of what is involved in getting the best out of a part-time squad, in my opinion. That is the key to this appointment, someone who understands the needs, and limitations, of clubs like ours.

Andy Kelly ?

IMG_0583.JPG

5 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Andy Kelly ?

He has retired from team coaching, but his brother might be interested.

I have heard a rumour that Mark Aston has asked to be released from Sheffield to join us. That would be nice, wouldn't it?

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

He has retired from team coaching, but his brother might be interested.

I have heard a rumour that Mark Aston has asked to be released from Sheffield to join us. That would be nice, wouldn't it?

I think Neil Kelly would be a good choice.

Paul Delaney,would bring a sence of unity back as Chris says.

Pair P.D. up with Francis Maloney for a local bash at it.

This game is all about momentum and that is what we need right now and nobody knows more about the momentum rule than our famed hooker. I say bring back Stevo on a six year contract!! To coincide with our promotion to SL in 2023 and the 50 year anniversary. Let me just ring Bet 365.

Archived