Gildart out for 2- 3 months with serious back injury.

2 hours ago, Moc said:

Clarke only mentioned it was clear and serious after 4/5 replays on TV

4 people on here said it was bad.  What I can't work out is why he came back on (from the reports).  Yes, backs/necks can go into spasm later, but don't the Doctors have definitive say in it?  They should.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He came back because of some stupid substitute rule. Plus, as when Clarke broke his neck, the full awfulness of the damage may not be immediately apparent. This is the second very serious neck injury suffered by us in the last 12 months - the cause has to be looked at very closely and, in this case, proper punishment meted out. Give me toe to toe punching any day of the week. 

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

He came back because of some stupid substitute rule. Plus, as when Clarke broke his neck, the full awfulness of the damage may not be immediately apparent. This is the second very serious neck injury suffered by us in the last 12 months - the cause has to be looked at very closely and, in this case, proper punishment meted out. Give me toe to toe punching any day of the week. 

He doesn't had to come back on for a substitution

10 minutes ago, LeeF said:

He doesn't had to come back on for a substitution

Explaining why Gildart started the second half, Wane added: “Under the ruling, if he doesn’t go out he’s done for the game - once your 15 minutes are up - and that includes half-time.”

So, it looks like there wasn't a Doctor involved, otherwise the 'ruling' wouldn't need to be even considered.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Explaining why Gildart started the second half, Wane added: “Under the ruling, if he doesn’t go out he’s done for the game - once your 15 minutes are up - and that includes half-time.”

So, it looks like there wasn't a Doctor involved, otherwise the 'ruling' wouldn't need to be even considered.

That's the head test. So he passed that but the Doc said go back out? Should have just taken the substitution under player welfare?

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

That's the head test. So he passed that but the Doc said go back out? Should have just taken the substitution under player welfare?

No, myself, or Wane didn't say the Doc said go back out.  

I thought the Doc was involved in any potentially serious injury.  Like I said earlier, if he isn't, he should be especially in this case with vertebra.  We'll see what the Report says.

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

No, myself, or Wane didn't say the Doc said go back out.  

I thought the Doc was involved in any potentially serious injury.  Like I said earlier, if he isn't, he should be especially in this case with vertebra.  We'll see what the Report says.

Someone made the decision to send him back on and the Doc has to be involved in the head injury test which is the only one with a 15 min time restraint

Haven't seen the tackle as I missed the game, but it sounds pretty bad, and 3 months out suggests it was.

Sure Ferres didn't go out to injure Gildart, but the crusher tackle needs to be sorted. It doesn't happen by accident.

6 games and £300 is pitiful. 6 games may be the max for the grade, but £300 is laughable. Hit this type of offence with a £10,000 minimum fine and it will soon be lost to the game. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Like Ben Flower in "that" Grand Final. Yeah, brilliant. 

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Ferres had another two guys on his back and Gildart trying to twist and push out the tackle.. it seems harsh to put so much blame on Ferres. I don't think he had much time to think about hurting Gildart on purpose. But in saying that dangerous tackles should be punished even if it might not have been malicious.

Ferres lifted him a second time and slammed him down.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

The same rule applies if you leave through foul play and the opposition players is binned. It doesn't count on the substitutions if you return to the field within the allotted time.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

58 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Like Ben Flower in "that" Grand Final. Yeah, brilliant. 

Exactly like that. Premeditated thuggery. Flower brought disgrace on his club and the game, and should never have played for us again. In both cases, it is the second efforts with plenty time to position themselves. 

1 hour ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Punished within the laws. Do you want an eye for an eye? 

If Gildart never plays again he should sue Ferres. The game has missed a trick in giving this thug a slap on the wrist. However popular he may be among south standers. 

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

If Gildart never plays again he should sue Ferres. The game has missed a trick in giving this thug a slap on the wrist. However popular he may be among south standers. 

So should Hohia have sued Flower.He had his career ended by him.The game  missed a trick in giving this thug a slap on the wrist.However popular he may be among Wiganers.

Should the Wigan medical team be sued by Gildart for allowing him back onto the field,when he obviously shouldn't have returned.

Why has Flower been brought into this?? Seems to be a running theme with Leeds fans on Facebook as well.

Surprised Ferres didn't get the maximum ban, I would have thought the rfl would have gone in much harder with this type of "tackle".

3 minutes ago, 7723 said:

Why has Flower been brought into this?? Seems to be a running theme with Leeds fans on Facebook as well.

Surprised Ferres didn't get the maximum ban, I would have thought the rfl would have gone in much harder with this type of "tackle".

"Thuggery" that most Wigan fans at the time failed to acknowledge. 

As for not getting the maximum ban. I'm sure the disciplinary meeting minutes will explain why. 

I'm surprised he didn't get the maximum 8 too. 

Maximum of 8,injury isn't taken into account.

That isnt necessarily true. Under aggravating factors:

2.3.4 Injury
 If the Misconduct has caused injury to an opponent, this may result in a 
higher penalty than if no injury had occurred.
 For the avoidance of doubt, if an incident has caused a player to receive a
concussive injury, Panels should consider it as an aggravating factor.
 Panels may consider the length of time an injured opponent is likely to be 
out of the game when passing sentence.

So should Hohia have sued Flower.He had his career ended by him.The game  missed a trick in giving this thug a slap on the wrist.However popular he may be among Wiganers.

Should the Wigan medical team be sued by Gildart for allowing him back onto the field,when he obviously shouldn't have returned.

Hohaia contemplated doing so iirc. And he had every right to do so. I would have been happy had Flower never played again. They are entirely comparable and I am glad to see we are on the same page - 6 months would have been about right. Incidentally, I do not think this reflects badly on Leeds as a club as every club has individual lunatics. They are a great club and a wonderful team, who symbolise much of what is great about this game. My ire is solely directed at a man who deliberately seriously endangered a fellow professional. 

Archived