Batley v Rochdale Match thread

Batley Bob

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, distantdog said:

I agree that we need a settled team, and believe that at our level, we should always put out our best available team.

However, two flaws with my own argument are:

1. We are generally agreed that this season we have our best quality squad for many years, so any changes made should not significantly weaken the team we put out on match days. 

and

2. I cannot imagine that any team that plays our great and demanding game comes off the pitch at the end of any match without knocks. Therefore why would MD risk any players, with even slight knocks if there are players of equal or near equal quality to take their place.

Of course, if there was a section on the website with injury updates, this conversation would be moot!

It would be very good to have anything at all about the upcoming match on the clubs official website.  I may be wrong but I cannot see the 19 players who have been selected, this just seems to have been circulated elsewhere so people have to search to find out.  Surely the squad details should be put on and accompanied by thoughts/reasons as to why players are not in the squad e.g. injuries/resting due to future fixture congestion etc.  

Top 6?

Don't  think  so. 

We'll be  lucky  to see that unless we begin defending and stop giving braindead penalties away.

Absolutely  woeful.

It doesnt resemble the same side we had last year.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

well what can i say, was going to post on here 20 mins ago that i was glad that i hadn't driven up for the game as it looked game over from first 20 mins on periscope then following twitter as Rochdale had taken a 24 point lead, now i wish i had gone that must have been some comeback to go on and win by 2 pts ...Well Done the Dogs

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

Still no place for Shaun Squires, by my reckoning he is now the only man not to get a game, other than the injured Bravo,  should O'Sullivan get a run out, and even he's had game time on loan. Great for SS, he's picking up his pay for nothing, but I'm sure he'd be biting legs off if he got a shirt on. Difficult to read the coach's thinking. Someone else mentioned The Tinkerman......

Just now, phildog said:

Still no place for Shaun Squires, by my reckoning he is now the only man not to get a game, other than the injured Bravo,  should O'Sullivan get a run out, and even he's had game time on loan. Great for SS, he's picking up his pay for nothing, but I'm sure he'd be biting legs off if he got a shirt on. Difficult to read the coach's thinking. Someone else mentioned The Tinkerman......

That may be but where would you play him? Both centres scored two today, and Smeaton was my MOM. Would he have made the difference today?

That post was sent on Friday!! Just landed today!!! No connection with this....we were rubbish for an hour, somebody needs to put a finger on this before Friday or else....this sort of comeback won't happen every week. Whilst a new coach wants to instill new ideas he can't afford to dismember systems that have served well for 5 years ie tackling, which has been our forte in subduing opponents. 

Well hats off to the players.

Well done indeed,last 15 mins there was only one winner.

As for this debate about shaun squires,i really cant understand the call for him to play.

Should matt diskin play him just for the sake of it?

Ive watched him play a lot for batley over the last 3 years and he just isn't able to show consistency.

Talented,yes,but woeful defensively and that is certainly a luxury we can't  afford at the moment. 

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

We've had both wingers and centres out at some stage, there's been opportunities to let him prove himself. I personally think he's a better tackler than Ainscough but now somebody will scream out that he's scored twice today. We were delighted when Squires joined and scored his tries! I would hate to see him unsettled and walk away. 

2 minutes ago, phildog said:

That post was sent on Friday!! Just landed today!!! No connection with this....we were rubbish for an hour, somebody needs to put a finger on this before Friday or else....this sort of comeback won't happen every week. Whilst a new coach wants to instill new ideas he can't afford to dismember systems that have served well for 5 years ie tackling, which has been our forte in subduing opponents. 

I agree.

The new 'systems' are leaving a lot to be desired.

Good job Rochdale  were blowing out of their proverbial with 15 to go or we would have lost.

But once again,well done to the players.

Thought James Brown fronted up well and is getting back to his best form.

What a comeback heart in mouth job

anhyhow excellent end to the game

cant help feeling though he left out too many influential players today 

2 minutes ago, phildog said:

We've had both wingers and centres out at some stage, there's been opportunities to let him prove himself. I personally think he's a better tackler than Ainscough but now somebody will scream out that he's scored twice today. We were delighted when Squires joined and scored his tries! I would hate to see him unsettled and walk away. 

He'll get his chance.

Im sure of it.

And i too would hate to see him walk away....

20 minutes ago, il cattivo said:

He'll get his chance.

Im sure of it.

And i too would hate to see him walk away....

Probably get a run out against the easybeats on Friday.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Probably get a run out against the easybeats on Friday.

Come now BSJ.

We've  been watching this game long enough to know derby games are lotterys.

I for one will be glad to just win.

Think Dewsbury will be extremely motivated for this one.

Think GF game will be very tough I'm sure Dews will be a up for this and targeting a first win 

Hope we pick a solid team up there best 17 we have 

I know we shouldn't but the officials were extremely poor today. James Brown getting 10 mins for a high shot when Rochdale were a complete team of thugs. Swinging arms. Shoulder charges. High shots. All either not penalised or not penalised as severely as JB was. 

Aside from a few mistakes when we actually got the ball in hand we looked dangerous. Today could have been dons worst game in a batley shirt yet he pulled it out of the bag in the last 10 mins. 

We weren't great today but got the win. A sign of a top 4 side. Make no mistake the next 2 games will be as tough as any but with the players that were rested hopefully fit enough to play we are in a good position and in the top 6. And still in the running for a top 4 spot.  

well done the dogs, i noticed a few going with 12 left to play and they missed some cracking rugby, brownie take a bow fella cos you sure led em right direction fella, we cant leave out key players in what we knew was going to be tough going, but not sure how we keep everyone happy, patch would have had us at least 8 more points and scotty would have been nailed on to stop at least 2 rochdale easy touchdowns, might get some stick but what does harrison bring at the moment as the lad looks tired and fed up, anyways we saved egg on the faces for a few with 15 minutes a class and fitness saved the day. please pick or best team for friday and keep this run going for weeks,,:aggressive: not good for the blood pressure like. on the squires debate we know he can play well and he scored a few and made a few and put in some big hits last season now and again, but then backed it up with so many missed tackles and knockons i doubt he will get a shirt for a while, one game he actually jumped out the way of a player who went on to score and that did it for me am afraid. up the doggies.

On quite a few occasions today we gave away field position very cheaply through handling errors and wayward passing. Our tackling at times was slack. Negatives over, and as Disco said, he will not be putting a 'band aid' over those areas. 

Rochdale displayed their trademark high shots, time wasting, and intimidation, but despite all this we showed true character, skill, and belief, overcoming a 36-16 scoreline in the last 14 minutes. 

Tom Lillycrop is emerging as a forward who injects fight and spirit into the team at crucial times with his fearless ball carries always gaining valuable yards. He has the heart of a lion, and his game is developing week by week.

Well done lads, achieving a crucial and hard earned victory, whilst resting some key personnel .

A wins a win but once again Diskins bizarre squad changes almost cost us the 2 points.

he really does need to start playing his strongest available team week in week out to get some consistency.

Exciting finish to the game but didnt deserve to win and felt like a defeat - we definitely got out of jail.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

Negatives.

We were so poor for so long! Brambani having his worst game for us, particularly getting caught in possession on the 5th which meant we often had a confused and chaotic end to many sets.

Defence looks an issue, we seemed all over the place at times,and soft down the middle.

Positives.

We won,and showed great spirit in coming back from what seemed like an impossible situation. 

Lessons.

If Scott is fit, he should always play. Same with Walker, even if on the bench. We needed both his goalkicking and his calmness at times.

Im remaining glass half full this season. Disco clearly has faith in his squad and is happy to use them. We were poor for large parts today against a good side yet we still won whilst resting 6 or 7 for the busy Easter period. If we win against Dews and London then the 'tinkerman' is justified in his approach to squad rotation.  

4 hours ago, il cattivo said:

Well hats off to the players.

Well done indeed,last 15 mins there was only one winner.

As for this debate about shaun squires,i really cant understand the call for him to play.

Should matt diskin play him just for the sake of it?

Ive watched him play a lot for batley over the last 3 years and he just isn't able to show consistency.

Talented,yes,but woeful defensively and that is certainly a luxury we can't  afford at the moment. 

And defence was good today?? Imo of course, we was dreadful today, very very lucky

Archived