Who will be the bottom 4 after 23 matches?

1 hour ago, Segovia Carpet said:

My 4 will be 

Widnes

Huddersfield

Leigh

Saints

At the start of the week I would have agreed with you about Saints finishing in the bottom 4, now I'm not so sure.

Those players that have been 'coasting' under Cunningham are going to have to start fighting for their very futures at the club and show the new coach (whoever that may be) that they're worth keeping for 2018. Saints may not get the results this weekend against Wigan & Cas (and to be honest I don't expect them to), but I definitely think we'll see a shift over the course of the rest of the season.

I still think they'll end up a long way off the top 4 but will improve enough to make the top 8.

At the moment the only team I think that is pretty much nailed on for a bottom 4 place is Widnes, but they have plenty of time to turn things around and make changes (like sacking Betts)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Leigh, Shudds and Widnes look nailed on for three of the spots. 

Anyone other than Wigan, Cas and Hull for the other spot but Catalans or Saints would be my bet.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

14 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

At the moment the only team I think that is pretty much nailed on for a bottom 4 place is Widnes, but they have plenty of time to turn things around and make changes (like sacking Betts)

Widnes have had more than half the team out injured since the start of the season. Nailed on for the bottom 4, but things will improve even without a change in coach.

Widnes, Leigh, Huddersfield and then someone is going to get unlucky. I think Catalan or Warrington most likely, but Saints & Wakefield could certainly get dragged in.

I think Huddersfield are strong enough to go on a run. If Widnes win tonight, Wire could be in trouble again - if so, I would go for Wire, Widnes, Saints and Wakefield. If Wire win, I would replace them with Saints. Fascinating times though - I love this structure.

I tipped Leigh to finish 8th this year but my thinking was that they would start the season like a house on fire, be top 4 at easter, but then fade away as week in week out SL took its toll, however they would just about hang on.

Theyve aquitted themselves fairly well in most games, but they just havent been able to get the league points to show for it, and now they are starting to ship points, could turn in to a long season. 

Widnes and Huddersfield look nailed on atm. I wouldnt want to guess the other spot. Cas won't slump that badly. Neither will Hull, regardless of their most recent result. Wigan are still the team to beat when they get players back. You could make an argument for the rest but you can also probably make an argument for them to finish top 4. Wide open.

In no particular order,  Leigh, Huddersfield and Widnes are I think nailed on, not sure who the 4th would be but you can bet the candidates will be targeting the three mentioned as 4 pointers.

Can't speak for Widnes or Huddersfield, but as a Leigh fan I have a pretty good idea of why they are in the position they are, when Mr Webster the then current Wakefield coach recognised the failings of his team in 2015 he set out the stall early to avoid relegation, he got lambasted for going about it in the manner which he did, but ultimately he was proved very correct and most probably saved the Wakefield club from descending the depths by his actions.

The gang of three mentioned by most as contenders to fight for their SL survival could do worse than take a considered view of were they could very well finish and take the appropiate steps of surving the middle 8's.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

4 minutes ago, GaryO said:

The gang of three mentioned by most as contenders to fight for their SL survival could do worse than take a considered view of were they could very well finish and take the appropiate steps of surving the middle 8's.

You mean sign Scott Moore and Jordan Tansley? ;)

Just now, Gates1 said:

You mean sign Scott Moore and Jordan Tansley? ;)

Not quite Gatesy, but something along those lines with players who would do a better job than those already in position.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Still time for the RFL come up  with a 'wild card' points  deduction. ...

Re Wire - Saints , people were surprised over Leeds ending up in the Bottom 4 last season , but they had too much class to really be threatened by it in the actual qualifiers.

Widnes got off to a storming start last season in the early rounds winning 5 of their first 6 SL games , then only won 5 of the remaining 17 , if it weren't for Salford being docked 6 points - Wakey - Widnes may have played in the qualifiers-  so early season form pre Easter can be misleading.

2017 season games are even more unpredictable.  ask me again after  Magic weekend !

If Saints and Warrington come back fighting, I'd be looking at potentially Catalans to end up there with Leigh, then the fairly obvious Widnes and Huddersfield who I'm struggling to look past.

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

Maybe Widnes need to rip up the plastic and plant some grass again , so much for the 4 G advantage 

Hardly mentioned but Leigh are struggling just as much , if not more than others with injuries , yes we are putting a team out each week , but not too much team picking by Jukesy in the last 4 weeks 

It seems we drew the short straw at the Magic Weekend , thinking last years MPG winner by 1 point was the best team to play 3 times , they now turn out to be the form team 

So us , Widnes , Giants plus 1 other 

The only mistake Webster made was to announce his thinking in public. I'd bet every other coach and owner would have quietly said much the same. "This season's gone. We'll conserve our energies for the seven games that matter, strengthen where we can, aim to beat the 4 Championship sides and target one of the 3 other SL sides. That puts us on 10 points and pretty much guarantees safety."

There are problems with that approach - one of the Championship sides might just be too strong and 10 is not an absolute guarantee of safety - but for a team that is really struggling after 12 or so games, it's probably the best bet.

Just don't tell anyone!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Widnes, Huddersfield, Leigh plus 1. I think Wakefield will be the one to watch over the next few weeks. If they get a few more wins they will be pretty much in the 8. I reckon that it will be between Catalans, Warrington and Wakefield. Saints will improve as the season goes on.

Widnes, Leigh, Hudds, Saints

The change of coach for Saints is a risk. Wire have more stability and a stronger squad in my view

Catalan will win enough matches in France over the summer to make top 8

Wakefield look pretty good so far but could get dragged in. I'm not sure about their half-backs

31 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Hudds, Wid, Leigh, Wakey.

I'd go with that. I think Warrington have turned a corner and Saints will be better post-Cunningham. Catalan have showed enough grit already away from home to show they'll pick up enough wins to go alongside their home advantage.

Wakey have been good so far but will fall away as injuries mount; I do think Widnes are in real danger when it comes to the Middle 8s - some good sides in the Championship top 5...

On 13/04/2017 at 9:31 AM, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Leigh, Shudds and Widnes look nailed on for three of the spots. 

Anyone other than Wigan, Cas and Hull for the other spot but Catalans or Saints would be my bet.

Your faith in Hull is fetching.....Shellacked at home twice in a week by conceding 19 tries! 

¿

Your obsession with Hull is retching.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

It will be interesting if Toulouse finish in the top 2 as 4 home games look very winnable.

Could Widnes be replaced by an expansion club for a third time in SL history??

At least this time it will be routinely!

Widnes Toulouse in MPG... we know what happened last time.. .

For me Saints played Wigan with 12 men for 70mins and did ok. The other lost games were winnable in the main.

Swift may start performing now the special one isn't guaranteed a wing spot...

Widnes look nailed on bottom 4, Huddersfield aren't strong enough, Leigh are already running out of gas, wakey will probably make up the quartet. 

Catalan are grinding out away wins and with the track drying out in France then they will do fine, Wolves are learning to play with a new halfback and it is starting to click.

On Thu Apr 13 2017 at 5:02 PM, Middleman said:

Still time for the RFL come up  with a 'wild card' points  deduction. ...

Re Wire - Saints , people were surprised over Leeds ending up in the Bottom 4 last season , but they had too much class to really be threatened by it in the actual qualifiers.

Widnes got off to a storming start last season in the early rounds winning 5 of their first 6 SL games , then only won 5 of the remaining 17 , if it weren't for Salford being docked 6 points - Wakey - Widnes may have played in the qualifiers-  so early season form pre Easter can be misleading.

2017 season games are even more unpredictable.  ask me again after  Magic weekend !

Widnes were in a false position last year which has certainly done them no favours this year. They wouldn't have been in the qualifiers though, even if Salford hadn't have had a points deduction.

Widnes, Leigh, Huddersfield and either Wakefield or Catalan. Saints and Warrington seem to be turning things around. 

I'm sure we'll all have a clearer picture after the silly extra fixture at Magic.

There is a chance here that a club could go into the middle 8s with a close to even win-loss record. That would be a little strange as in previous years, say a 45% win record has put you in with a chance of a GF via the play-offs.

Archived